HD box better than DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD box better than DVD

JeffKnob
11-23-2004, 07:37 AM
I have the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD HD DVR box and a Panasonic S35 DVD player. These are both connected through my receiver and then to my TV via component video cables. My TV is a Samsung EDTV so I can only watch up to 480p. I have noticed that the picture I get from my cable box while on a HD channel looks much better than any DVD's I have even though both signals are 480p. Would my DVD picture match the cable box picture if I got a better DVD player from a company like Denon or Marantz? Or is this just the way it is going to be because the cable box is downsampling to 480p and the DVD player is upsampling (progressive scan) to 480p from 480i?

eqm
11-23-2004, 08:23 AM
I have the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD HD DVR box and a Panasonic S35 DVD player. These are both connected through my receiver and then to my TV via component video cables. My TV is a Samsung EDTV so I can only watch up to 480p. I have noticed that the picture I get from my cable box while on a HD channel looks much better than any DVD's I have even though both signals are 480p. Would my DVD picture match the cable box picture if I got a better DVD player from a company like Denon or Marantz? Or is this just the way it is going to be because the cable box is downsampling to 480p and the DVD player is upsampling (progressive scan) to 480p from 480i?

hello,

yes there can be tremendous picture differences among dvd players. i've never been really impressed with the picture quality of the panasonic s35 when compared against the range of other dvd players i've auditioned. i'm currently running the denon 2900 on a calibrated mitsubishi diamond 55", but i've also run a panasonic, yamaha, pioneer elite, and a sony. the denon, with its silicon image chip, is by far and away the most film-like picture i've seen in a dvd. all this being said, however, is that many dvd movies themselves will vary a LOT in picture quality. make sure you're comparing the best of dvd to the best of hd, and on an ed tv, you should probably see good results either way.

hope this helps!

JeffKnob
11-23-2004, 09:49 AM
hello,

yes there can be tremendous picture differences among dvd players. i've never been really impressed with the picture quality of the panasonic s35 when compared against the range of other dvd players i've auditioned. i'm currently running the denon 2900 on a calibrated mitsubishi diamond 55", but i've also run a panasonic, yamaha, pioneer elite, and a sony. the denon, with its silicon image chip, is by far and away the most film-like picture i've seen in a dvd. all this being said, however, is that many dvd movies themselves will vary a LOT in picture quality. make sure you're comparing the best of dvd to the best of hd, and on an ed tv, you should probably see good results either way.

hope this helps!

Thanks,

Would some of the less expensive Denon models have the same chip and therefore have just as great of a picture with less of the bells and whisles and cost?

I thought that any of the Lord of the Rings DVDs would be a great reference and I find that these don't look nearly as good as some of the HD content coming from my cable box.

hershon
11-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Ditch the EDTV- sell it on Ebay and buy an HD ready Set right away!

JeffKnob
11-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Ditch the EDTV- sell it on Ebay and buy an HD ready Set right away!

Are you going to pay for it? And the shipping of a 170lb TV to whoever wins it? The picture looks great from the TV. It was the DVD player I was wondering about. I am not ready to invest in an HDTV to only be able to watch a handful of channels. I can get the same lines from a DVD than you can with your HDTV and mine was much cheaper. I am waiting for more HD content and probably BluRay before I get a new TV. I probably won't get a new TV until they can display 1080p from a BluRay or HDDVD disc. It just isn't worth it unless it is just for bragging rights.

eqm
11-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks,

Would some of the less expensive Denon models have the same chip and therefore have just as great of a picture with less of the bells and whisles and cost?

I thought that any of the Lord of the Rings DVDs would be a great reference and I find that these don't look nearly as good as some of the HD content coming from my cable box.

the 2200 has the same si chip as the 2900, the lesser models have the faroujda dcdi (the dcdi chip i tried on my yammy, and the denon blows it away hands down). i believe denon is coming out with new units soon, so you may be able to get one on clearance or the new ones may be less expensive for the same si chip.

btw: don't buy denon online...you will get no warranty and they are about the hardest nosed on that as well. see their website if you need conformation of this!

eqm
11-23-2004, 03:55 PM
and forgot to add, the picture quality on LOTR isn't the absolute greatest in the world, IMHO. The 5th element SUPERBIT version is an awesome example of picture quality...try that one out!

hershon
11-23-2004, 04:00 PM
I'll be happy to pay for it, lol. But seriously, I don't know your budget/monetary/or spacial constraints are but you can get, a good big screen rear projection TV delivered to you for between $1,000 - $1,700 & a smaller one between $600 -$900. It just seems it you have first ratereqipment, you may as well get the TV set to go with it. But if you're happy, god for you.

Are you going to pay for it? And the shipping of a 170lb TV to whoever wins it? The picture looks great from the TV. It was the DVD player I was wondering about. I am not ready to invest in an HDTV to only be able to watch a handful of channels. I can get the same lines from a DVD than you can with your HDTV and mine was much cheaper. I am waiting for more HD content and probably BluRay before I get a new TV. I probably won't get a new TV until they can display 1080p from a BluRay or HDDVD disc. It just isn't worth it unless it is just for bragging rights.