Yamaha reciever owners: [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha reciever owners:

Ryanm
11-22-2004, 03:39 PM
My 5760 gets pretty hot when I play music at high (-10 to -2dB) volumes, and I've wondered if this is normal. I noticed it getting pretty warm and lowered the shelf it was sitting on down so that it's at least a half a foot below the dvd player, I'm wondering if this is sufficient or should I look into putting it on it's own shelf out from under the tv in a separate AV stand.

NickWH
11-22-2004, 08:04 PM
What speakers are you using with it?

kexodusc
11-23-2004, 04:56 AM
Good lord, -10 to -2dB? That's pretty hard driving there, do you have some inefficient speakers or do you just like to party? My old neighbour use to crank his up to -20 dB with some Energy Veritas and that was bleeding loud.

My experience with Yammies is they'll take everything you can dish out in the heat department...but you to be safe you want decent ventilation. Sometimes inside a TV stand, the air just sits like an oven, and the convection cooling is compromised. Sounds like you've got more than enough room on the top side though. You could try buying a few rubber bumpers and placeing them underneat the feet of the receiver so there's more airflow underneath, but the more cool, free air surrounding the receiver the better...another stand might be a good option.

Yammies use fair size heat-sinks and large, quality power supplies compared to similarly priced offerings. When my old H/K receiver melted (literally, guess it was common in the 98 model year), I bought a cheap Yammie off ebay and, though it had less power, it worked harder and never died on me. And I had an older Technics receiver that would burn your hand to touch it, by far the hottest equipment I've ever owned, but it didn't crap out on me. Sometimes these things just run hot.
Maybe you could buy a decent, small computer fan or something to help with airflow?

Eric Z
11-23-2004, 05:10 AM
I noticed my 5760 getting pretty warm as well, but nothing that I'm worried about. The loudest I usually play my music at is -15dB (and that's only for the length of a song) and I can tell the receiver is getting a little warm. Mine is in an entertainment center with the back of the shelving unit cut out (Yamaha was just too big to fit) and about 4 inches of space above it and a few inches on each side.

How hot is your getting? Hot enough where it's difficult to touch it, or just noticably warmer than other receivers?

As Kexodusc said, it sounds like there is more than enough room above your receiver. I like his idea of raising it a little.

Good luck!
Eric

Ryanm
11-23-2004, 08:49 AM
It's just very noticeably warm, At first i was afraid to touch it cause I could tell the metal was pretty warm. But it's not burn your hand hot, though I could heat a hotpocket on it after enough time to be comfortably warm to eat probably hehe. It only seems to do it with music (i'm guessing constant output), I don't have the same problem with movies even at same volume lvls.
Currently using: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=SSCR350H&Dept=hav&CategoryName=hav_HiFiComponents_Speakers
for center and surrounds
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=SSMB150H&Dept=hav&CategoryName=hav_HiFiComponents_Speakers for front speakers which will be moved to my back speakers as soon as:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=SSMF750H&Dept=hav&CategoryName=hav_HiFiComponents_Speakers arrive at which point those will take over my front channel duties.
currently this setup uses a 200 RMS RCA 12" powered sub for bass duties.

kexodusc
11-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Well, they're reasonably efficient speakers at 87 dB, with 8 ohm nominal impedance...could be some bad swings in the impedance though, but all in all, I don't hink you've got too, too much to worry about...receivers and amps run warmer than your other equipment...but if she doesn't burn your hand, you're probably okay. You do have your impedence selector set right, eh?

More airflow is always better, your Yamaha uses convection cooling and heatsinks, so the as the hot air rises out the back, cooler air is sucked in from the bottom (short, simple explanation)...if the air in the tv cabinet is warmer than the rest of the room to start with, it'll run a wee bit warmer inside the chasis asa result. But as I said earlier, the heatsinks are pretty good in those.
Keep an eye on her, if you smell burning, or see smoke...shut down.

Ryanm
11-23-2004, 09:15 AM
I left the impedance selector as is when it came, didn't know if it would be set to one or the other, part of me figured it wouldn't make a difference either way given the speakers were 8 ohm, this would be understandably different if the speakers were 6 ohm and i had it set for 8 ohm. Should I double check it and set it for the 8 ohm setting regardless?

kexodusc
11-23-2004, 09:58 AM
chances are it's already set at 8 ohms, and I'm not sure it would have much of an effect anyway with 8 ohm nominal speakers, but depending on the size of the impedence swings, it might not hurt...Alot of speakers these days are rated at 89,90, 91 dB efficiency, this is 1/2 the power requirement of your speakers, so it's understandable your receiver is running a bit warm. I don't think you'll have any problems, just try to keep it above "0" dB to leave yourself some headroom.

JamezHill
11-24-2004, 10:33 AM
I had a Kenwood Sovereign VR-5900 (which I just sold to buy a Yamaha) and that would get insanely hot. I did a lot of research and asked a lot of people and it was pretty normal. There was a fan inside of it that kicked on once and a while, but the rest of the time, was just hot. It would warm my room up considerably (now that its getting cold, I miss that factor). Anyways, I was looking into fans for it too. I saw some on ebay, you could put it inside your cabinet or "around" your receiver to increase ariflow. It was a 19" metal tray looking thing with 3 or 4 fans in the front and 3 or 4 fans in the back. Sounded like a good idea, but when all of Kenwood's products started to give me trouble I sold them all or got rid of them. (cause they're made like crap <the vr-5900 was the only decent one>) the entre (crap), the DV-5900 (crap) I went through 3 of these, all had some defects of sort. Oh and that was my second VR-5900.

nightflier
11-24-2004, 01:03 PM
My Onkyo used to get pretty hot as well. I initially raised it and that helped a bit, but what really made the difference was when I put a laptop cooler underneath. It's a small component about 1/2 an inch thick that our laptop users at work place under their laptops to keep their legs cool. One of my co-workers retrofitted the USB power to a standard wall wart and voila. I got mine for free, but I'm sure there are some non-USB based ones out there, for a pitance. Mine was made with a solid aluminum frame and was very quiet too, which you probably want to watch out for.

I also remember reading that someone was using a heat-transfer plate. Those were sold on TV to defrost food, but also allowed hot foods to be cooled. I can't vouch for this, but you might be able to find one of these online somewhere, or maybe you have one in a cupboard in the kitchen....