New Patricia Barber [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Patricia Barber

BarryL
11-22-2004, 12:57 PM
I know there are a number of Patricia Barber fans on this board. Her now CD is a live one, recorded in France, and titled: Live: A Fortnight In France.

I've just started playing it, but so far it sounds good. Slow and dark and sultry, as per her usual thing. Nothing here to disappoint, so if you like her, go find the new one.

BarryL
11-22-2004, 01:57 PM
I know there are a number of Patricia Barber fans on this board. Her now CD is a live one, recorded in France, and titled: Live: A Fortnight In France.

I've just started playing it, but so far it sounds good. Slow and dark and sultry, as per her usual thing. Nothing here to disappoint, so if you like her, go find the new one.

I've been through this new Patricia Barber album Live: A Fortnight In France just once now, but it kicks ass. She plays live with an additional three players, and they are spot on and exciting to listen to. The album is split about 50/50 between Barber originals and covers. The covers include the standards Laura, Witchcraft, Call Me, and Norwegian Wood. The band downright rocks like Bruce Hornby on Barber's Crash. I love this album. It should appeal to progressive music fans and jazz traditionalists.

If you like jazz and haven't heard Patricia Barber, you can't go wrong with this one. It's KILLER jazz by an American original.

DarrenH
11-26-2004, 12:36 PM
I went CD browsing today Barry but damn if I couldn't remember which one you mentioned. I'll get it later and thanks for the rec. I ended up with Cannonball Adderley and the Poll Winners featuring Wes Montgomery. I tell ya, better put a padlock on my wallet because browsing amongst all those CD's makes me want reach for it. It was all I could do to leave with just one.

Fooking stores were packed today. And I mean to the rafters. Shoulda never went but I was bored, wife was working, and I needed something to do.

Darren

BarryL
11-26-2004, 01:24 PM
I went CD browsing today Barry but damn if I couldn't remember which one you mentioned. I'll get it later and thanks for the rec. I ended up with Cannonball Adderley and the Poll Winners featuring Wes Montgomery. I tell ya, better put a padlock on my wallet because browsing amongst all those CD's makes me want reach for it. It was all I could do to leave with just one.

Fooking stores were packed today. And I mean to the rafters. Shoulda never went but I was bored, wife was working, and I needed something to do.

Darren

Wes is to jazz guitar as Paul Desmond is to jazz Sax.

I don't know the music of Cannonball, though.

I remember how much I loved Benny Goodman. I had a six or seven album collection in a big white and silver box. I should see if I can pick up some cheap Benny Goodman CDs.

The Barber CD is her latest, with a 2004 release date. Just remember, we'll always have Paris.

Ex Lion Tamer
11-26-2004, 06:14 PM
I ended up with Cannonball Adderley and the Poll Winners featuring Wes Montgomery.

Darren

Hey Darren,

I have a couple of Poll Winners albums featuring Barney Kessell on Guitar, with Ray Brown and Shelley Manne as the kick-ass rhythm section...excellent albums. Who's the rhythm section with Wes?

So which Cannonball album did you get? The only one I have is the sublime Something Else.

Ex Lion Tamer
11-26-2004, 06:17 PM
I've been through this new Patricia Barber album Live: A Fortnight In France just once now, but it kicks ass. She plays live with an additional three players, and they are spot on and exciting to listen to. The album is split about 50/50 between Barber originals and covers. The covers include the standards Laura, Witchcraft, Call Me, and Norwegian Wood. The band downright rocks like Bruce Hornby on Barber's Crash. I love this album. It should appeal to progressive music fans and jazz traditionalists.

If you like jazz and haven't heard Patricia Barber, you can't go wrong with this one. It's KILLER jazz by an American original.

I have three albums by PB: Cafe Blue, Modern Cool and Nightclub, each is excellent. I'll have to pick the new one up...hopefully it's available on vinyl.

I saw her a few years back at the Jazz Festival in Montreal, an excellent show. If you get the chance to, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

DarrenH
11-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Hey Darren,

I have a couple of Poll Winners albums featuring Barney Kessell on Guitar, with Ray Brown and Shelley Manne as the kick-ass rhythm section...excellent albums. Who's the rhythm section with Wes?

So which Cannonball album did you get? The only one I have is the sublime Something Else.

Rhythm section is Ray Brown - bass, Louis Hayes - drums, Victor Feldman - piano.

Wes Montgomery - guitar. Cannonball Adderley - alto sax

The CD is titled: Cannonball Adderley and the Poll-Winners featuring Ray Brown, Wes Montgomery. Capitol Jazz 7243 5 20086 2 9. Recorded in 1960 and originally released as Riverside 9355. I presume as an LP (duh). The Capitol CD version was released in 1999.

Apparently, this is one in a series of seven master tapes brought over from Adderley's days with Riverside Records. Anyway, it's classic jazz and I bought this for the Wes Montgomery factor. If the rest are in print I'd certainly consider buying them.

I'd love to get Something Else. The mofi would be cool but I'd settle for a domestic remaster.

Darren

Davey
12-02-2004, 09:12 AM
I really like Patricia Barber. Definitely not for all jazz or pop fans because she is rather unique. I have the first three albums, Cafe Blue in the great sounding vinyl version that Music Direct put out in cooperation with Premonition back in the mid 90s, and the next two on CD. All good, although I prefer the more out there stuff from the first two. She can get pretty slinky-sexy sometimes with her wordplay and I like it. Some call her too pretentious, but that's when she starts to get interesting to me. Most jazz and pop these days is just too safe. All very nice sounding too which has gotten her a lot of attention (and derision) from the audiophile crowd, but that's just a side issue. I don't always like the pop covers she does, but they're almost always interesting.

Nice article/review today for the first 4 albums at PopMatters (http://popmatters.com/music/reviews/b/barberpatricia-nightclub.shtml).