New Reciever opinions???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Reciever opinions????

Castawaygator
11-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Hello, I am about to buy a new reciever since my Pioneer Elite VSX26TX is crapping out on me. Right now i have Paradigm CC350, ADP350, and Monitor7, with no sub. I am not happy with pioneer quality and have seen that others have had the same problem as mine where it requires a warm up before it works.I listen to HT 70%, Music 30%, and am hoping to spend no more than $600-700. So anyway, any advice is much appreciated.

Sony
STR-DA2000ES

Onkyo
TX-NR801 (REFURBISHED), would you still consider this if it is factory refurbished, but with a factory waranty?

Yamaha
RXV2500, 2400, 1500, 1400 or HTR-5790
Do the 2500 and 2400 have upgrades that validate their increased cost over the 1500 and 1400?

Has anyone used the Net Tune setup, if so how is it?
Does anyone really use a Serial RS-232C port?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

vr6ofpain
11-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Check out the Pioneer VSX-D912-K, I'm considering one of these. Very good value, lots of features.

royphil345
11-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Many problems with the new digital ES line. (video drops outs, low volume and noise on some) Was very interested in the new Sony ES receivers myself, but heard about too many problems with them. Sony is fixing the bad ones, but it seems they're still selling them as well. Who wants to send a brand new receiver to the repair shop? Not putting down Sony. Seems like anytime a company tries a totally new design there are some glitches. I remember when the first Dolby Digital receivers came out it didn't seem like there was any brand that was a totally safe bet.

I like the Harman Kardon line of receivers. Why not on your list? (nice sound, easy setup)

Also like Onkyo. I've had good and bad luck with refurbished components. I've had good and bad luck with new components. Just buy from a place with a good return policy if you're not satisfied. A good warranty is nice too.

Might be worth it to wait and check out the next Sony ES line that comes out.

kexodusc
11-22-2004, 04:56 AM
I think you'd be fine with anything from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz or Harman Kardon.

I'd avoid Sony's stuff unless there's a phenomenal deal on it.
Most other receiver manufacturers usually have hit-and-miss product cycles, and its hard to separate the good from the bad.

I have the Yamaha RX-V1400. There's a few subtle improvements in the newer models and the RX-V2400, whether the price is justified is up to you...I didn't feel so.
I think the 1500 is a tad bit more user-friendly, and that's about it...but the 1400 was pretty easy to figure out.

If you ask around most of your local a/v repair shops, here at ar.com, or other websites, the majority of knowledgeable people will tell you that Yamaha is second to none in the quality department. I went to three such places in my old town, and the repair guys all told me after 20-40 years in the biz, Yamaha is all they'd own in their homes. That swayed me quite a bit at the time.

But even Yamaha isn't perfect, and I'm not sure exactly how much more reliable they are than, say, a Denon or Marantz...probably splitting hairs at that point. Woodman would be a good person here to flag down and ask.

Good luck.

Kursun
11-22-2004, 01:45 PM
I am not happy with pioneer quality and have seen that others have had the same problem as mine where it requires a warm up before it works.I don't understand... If you think it requires a warm up why don't you let it do so? After all, it should be easy to warm up a HT receiver with half a kiloW under the hood.

Castawaygator
11-22-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't understand... If you think it requires a warm up why don't you let it do so? After all, it should be easy to warm up a HT receiver with half a kiloW under the hood.

In the past, the problem may take 30-45min to warm up where the sound turns on. More recently, my receiver could be on for 2 hours with no sound produced. If i knew i could turn it on 15 minutes before hand and it would be working then i wouldnt be looking for a new receiver.
Because it seems to be a common problem in my line of pioneer receiver, i have lost a little faith in pioneers quality. I dont want to buy a new receiver every 3-4yrs or so because of a production problem.
http://www.audioreview.com/amplification/a-v-receivers/Pioneer%20Elite/PRD_118724_2718crx.aspx

Take for example the posting on Sony ES line having trouble right now! I would not buy a sony until they stop having a high number of complaints about glitches. No consumer should have to go back and forth to get new electronics repaired.

Geoffcin
11-22-2004, 05:34 PM
In the past, the problem may take 30-45min to warm up where the sound turns on. More recently, my receiver could be on for 2 hours with no sound produced. If i knew i could turn it on 15 minutes before hand and it would be working then i wouldnt be looking for a new receiver.
Because it seems to be a common problem in my line of pioneer receiver, i have lost a little faith in pioneers quality. I dont want to buy a new receiver every 3-4yrs or so because of a production problem.

Take for example the posting on Sony ES line having trouble right now! I would not buy a sony until they stop having a high number of complaints about glitches. No consumer should have to go back and forth to get new electronics repaired.

Except that it is broken. Pioneer Elite receivers have a 2 year warrantee. If yours is out of warrantee then they will not fix it for free. Neither will any other manufacturer either if the unit is out of warrantee. I have broken several receivers, but I have met my match in the Pioneer Elite line. I have not been able to damage it. It just takes a beating at keeps coming back for more.

nightflier
11-22-2004, 08:20 PM
I think Kexo has the right advice. I have not had the Pioneer, so I can't say anything about it either way, but I can tell you that Sony ES is very much overrated. I also think that Harman is a very good value. Don't be swayed by the watt rating, either, 'cause HK tends to rate their receivers lower than others...

Also, the Onkyo TX-NR801 is not exactly the newest model either, so you could probably get one of these at that price-point w/o getting a refurb.

J*E*Cole
11-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I had bought a Pioneer D914 but after messing around with it for over a week, I was not satisfied with it's musicality, it was more HT geared, so I returned it for a Harman/Kardon, and I have been most impressed with the HK's overall sound. It handles music much better, and it handles HT just fine as well. And the power ratings on the HK are true measurements, and though my HK is rated at only 45 wpc, it blows the Pioneer away which is rated much higher, and it sounds more high end too.

Kursun
11-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Because it seems to be a common problem in my line of pioneer (#) receiver, i have lost a little faith in pioneers quality. I dont want to buy a new receiver every 3-4yrs or so because of a production problem.
http://www.audioreview.com/amplification/a-v-receivers/Pioneer%20Elite/PRD_118724_2718crx.aspx

Take for example the posting on Sony (#) ES line having trouble right now! I would not buy a sony until they stop having a high number of complaints about glitches. No consumer should have to go back and forth to get new electronics (#) repaired.From the link I see what you mean. This seems to be a problem of this particular model. I would have it fixed and enjoy its sound. If you do decide to buy a new receiver I would propose the US equivalent of VSX-AX5Ai. I have been enjoying the VSX-D2011for nearly 2 years now, the model AX5Ai replaced. A close friend bought this AX5Ai and is very satisfied too.
http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_overview.jsp?category_id=405&taxonomy_id=62-98

Woochifer
11-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Seems that Sony runs into problems whenever they significantly redesign a product line. Their reliability the past few years has been very inconsistent, and disastrous at times. Sony's currently ES lineup is their first foray into high powered digital amplification, and it seems to have multiple problems.

If reliability's high on your priorities, then go with the Yamahas. They've been consistently good on the build quality over the years.