Frustrated with big mess o' cables...any advice? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with big mess o' cables...any advice?

kexodusc
11-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Here's my sob-story:.
I've got an xbox, cd player, dvd player, vcr, tv, cable box, subwoofer, 7 speakers, and 2 power amps all connected to my a/v receiver...and it makes one helluva mess...

Now I've got the 5 shelf a/v rack looking fairly clean...all the cables are running through the organizers, and well hidden, but 9 power cables and a bunch of speaker wire are hard to hide...what do you guys do? I can't fit it all under the baseboard trim, and I only have area rugs on wood flooring, so hiding under the carpet isn't an option...

Normally I don't care, the room looks clean enough until you look at the small space between the tv, rack, and speakers, but in a few weeks the future in-laws are coming and my woman is giving me all kinds of grief about this. :rolleyes:

Any magical fix-all solutions out there?

JamezHill
11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Hmmm, you could use Loom. It won't hide anything, but might make it look a bit neater. They make it in different sizes and colors (might blend in a little bit better).

kexodusc
11-22-2004, 04:35 AM
Hey JamezHill...I'm not familiar with this Loom you speak of...maybe you could provide a link?

It's probably better than the heatshrink/duct tape solution I'm thining of.

Maybe a cute statuette or something could hide the bulk of the cables. 9 plugs and 6 speaker wires is a bit much now that I think of it, maybe it's time to downsize.

Lensman
11-22-2004, 05:41 AM
Hey JamezHill...I'm not familiar with this Loom you speak of...maybe you could provide a link?

It's probably better than the heatshrink/duct tape solution I'm thining of.

Maybe a cute statuette or something could hide the bulk of the cables. 9 plugs and 6 speaker wires is a bit much now that I think of it, maybe it's time to downsize.

Looms are flexible corrugated plastic tubes you can run cords through. You can find them at Radio Shack.

Since you mention hiding them behind a statue, you may also be able to use a cable tunnel or cable organizer box. This site has a lot of options:

http://cableorganizer.com/

The specific ones I mention above are under the "Raceways & Wire Ducts" section here:

http://cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/#E

kexodusc
11-22-2004, 06:21 AM
JACKPOT
Way to go fellas...this should provide a few ideas for tidying up the cable mess.
I think that "wiretrack" is the way to go...especially since we'll be tearing up carpet, baseboard, etc anyway in the next month or so.
Thanks guys.