Budget Phono Cartridge [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Budget Phono Cartridge

Billiam
11-20-2004, 02:14 PM
I need to buy a new phono cartridge but don't want to spend more than a hundred dollars. I would appreciate any suggestions.

royphil345
11-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Rolls off the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, but so smooth and flat sounding through the mids. Can get one for under $70.00 shipped here: http://www.beachaudio.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=267_283&products_id=16707

I've tried a Grado Red, Audio Technica 440ML. The M97xE even put my V15VxMR on standby. I can hear that the V15 is more capable of reproducing detail and has a wider frequency range. Mine just sounds like it stresses the extreme highs and lows a bit, causing weak imaging and a lack of "ooomph" in rock music. The V15 does sound a little "airier" for classical music, but not to the point where I bother switching them depending on what I'm playing.

Billiam
11-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I had narrowed it down to some of the Grado Cartridges and that one. It is nice to know that the Shure cartridge is a good choice. :)

royphil345
11-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Just my opinion. Seems to me in the under $100.00 range of phono cartridges you get a choice between a more natural presentation with rolled-off highs and lows, or recessed mids to make the cartridge sound more detailed. In my system I prefer the more natural presentation. However, I've heard systems that just don't seem to sound harsh no matter what. Something a little livlier like the Audio Technica 440ML might sound better on a system like this.