replacement speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : replacement speakers

Nevin
11-20-2004, 10:49 AM
I have some old Pioneer floor speakers (model unknown....cant move 'em due to recent accident) and one each of the mids, tweeters, and subs are crackling or out. I would like to just replace all the speakers, but i dont know with what. I like the oak casing that they are set in cuz it matches my house perfectly. I wish to replace all of the speakers in both floor sets, not just the crackling ones of course. Any suggestions that you have would be a great help. Im pretty literate when it comes to car audio, but a rookie to home theater.

topspeed
11-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Try partsexpress.com. They have a lot of raw drivers that should work.

Lensman
11-20-2004, 06:58 PM
I have some old Pioneer floor speakers (model unknown....cant move 'em due to recent accident) and one each of the mids, tweeters, and subs are crackling or out. I would like to just replace all the speakers, but i dont know with what. I like the oak casing that they are set in cuz it matches my house perfectly. I wish to replace all of the speakers in both floor sets, not just the crackling ones of course. Any suggestions that you have would be a great help. Im pretty literate when it comes to car audio, but a rookie to home theater.

Before you go on a driver search, you should check your speakers and see if the problems are a result of the foam surrounds disentigrating/cracking. If so, you can probably just take the drivers to a local speaker repair shop and get them refoamed relatively inexpensively.

To replace them, get a friend to help you find out what you have then first try Pioneer's Parts Division here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/service/support/article/top/0,,2076_4267,00.html

You might also luck out at this place:

http://www.oaktreeent.com/Pioneer_Speaker_Parts.htm

Next try Topspeed's recommendation. I know for a fact some of the speaker drivers Parts Express carries are exact Pioneer replacements, though they only have afew of these.

If those fail, try Radio Shack. A lot of Radio Shack's older speakers were rebranded Pioneer models and Radio Shack still has replacement parts for them that can be special ordered. Some even have identical part numbers. The part numbers were usually stamped on the back of the magnet. If the surrounds are the square ones, you may be able to give them the width.

Last chance is searching speakers on eBay with these keywords: Pioneer, Radio Shack, Realistic, and Optimus. You might find someone who's selling drivers or the whole speaker for a low price, or find someone selling the Radio Shack equivalent of what you have (this could also tell you what model replacement parts to ask for at Radio Shack).

If all those turn up nothing, you'll probably be best off shedding a tear for them and looking for replacements. But if you're really committed to keeping the boxes, there's one final thing you can do.

Measure the length, width and depth of your speaker's box, then measure each driver from the center one screw hole to the center of the screw hole on the opposite side of the cone. Then unscrew the drivers and look on the back for any frequency response or crossover frequency numbers. When you have done all this, CALL Speaker City (www.speakercity.com) or Madisound (www.madisound.com) and talk to a representive about replacements. They can then make a guess at what might be the closest, non-Pioneer replacements. This will invariably change the way those Pioneers sound (possibly worse, though it might actually improve them). However, you may need to drill new holes to properly mount these drivers.