I'm joining the vinyl ranks! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm joining the vinyl ranks!

bacchanal
11-20-2004, 09:44 AM
I bought a Pro-ject 1.2 off of audiogon (my first TT) and just got it set up last night. Since I only own a few records right now, I called a friend of mine who has a bunch of original pressings of 70's stuff (Sabbath, Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix, Deep Purple, etc.). Her records are in great shape (she got them off a lady who won them from a radio station back in the day), and it was a really fun way to break in my new hobby!

I was considering getting a new cart (a lot of people seem to like the Grado Red) for the Pro-ject, but I think I'll stick with the original for now (an oyster). I'm spending all my spare cash on vinyl as it is.

hifitommy
11-20-2004, 10:33 AM
buying used vinyl is a kick. here is a site that might help you, although some things arent complete more current, much of it cant guide you well:

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/record_stores/record_stores.html (http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/record_stores/record_stores.html)

i have always liked the sound of grado carts and many others as well. the at440ML is worth a look, the shure m97xe, and ortofons are also well spoken of. get used to the sound of the oyster and when you make a change, you will more distinctly hear the differences good and bad.

concentrate on upping your inventory of vinyl, theres plenty new and used available. acousticsounds.com, elusivedisc.com, amusicdirect.com, and others have new merchandise and sometimes used. recordsbymail.com is a great source and reliable as well.

most of my records were acquired for 50 cents to a buck but i have been known to spend REAL money on records. enjoy!

I bought a Pro-ject 1.2 off of audiogon (my first TT) and just got it set up last night. Since I only own a few records right now, I called a friend of mine who has a bunch of original pressings of 70's stuff (Sabbath, Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix, Deep Purple, etc.). Her records are in great shape (she got them off a lady who won them from a radio station back in the day), and it was a really fun way to break in my new hobby!

I was considering getting a new cart (a lot of people seem to like the Grado Red) for the Pro-ject, but I think I'll stick with the original for now (an oyster). I'm spending all my spare cash on vinyl as it is.

bacchanal
11-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the advice!

get used to the sound of the oyster and when you make a change, you will more distinctly hear the differences good and bad.

this is what I was planning on doing. also I'm running my TT through my yamaha receiver. probably not the audiophile way to do things, but it works, and i'm not going to worry about separate components until I feel the need to get rid of my receiver.

I'm in Fort Wayne, IN btw. I've been searching around for decent record stores for a week or so, and I've found a couple that look promising, though I'll need more time. I've already picked up original pressings of Soundgarden's Screaming Life and Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff, both early SubPop releases. I'd really like to find an early pressing of Nirvana's Bleach (maybe a Tupelo pressing on black vinyl) and Mark Lanegan's The Winding Sheet, but it looks like I'm going to have to shell out or do some real searching if I want these two.
Also I think I'm going to get all of the John Frusciante recordings (new) on Record Collection. I have them all on CD, and this could be a good way to do some side to side testing of CD and vinyl. Not that I really care all that much which is the 'best' format and for what reasons, I just think it would be interesting.

Fortunately most of the stuff I like is semi-obscure and may exist in only one or two pressings, so I can usually be pretty sure of what I'm getting.

dean_martin
11-20-2004, 09:34 PM
I'd really like to find an early pressing of Nirvana's Bleach (maybe a Tupelo pressing on black vinyl) .

I have the Bleach cd on Tupelo. I found it at a traveling record show. You can find some obscure stuff at those but I haven't noticed one in my area in a long time. I've picked up lots of colored and marbled vinyl at record shows - like Smashing Pumpkins, Stereo lab, Sonic Youth, Babes in Toyland, etc. Also, most independent record stores can order new/limited releases for you.

BTW, I also have the Pro-ject 1.2. It replaced an old Dual that died on me. With the Dual, I was used to big fat almost sloppy bass. May not have been accurate, but it sure was warm and sweet. It had a Dual cartridge made by Ortofon. The Projects in Europe come with Ortofon carts. I couldn't really get used to the Oyster so I picked up a new old stock Parasound cart for cheap until I can try some other carts.

One thing I did find when I got back into vinyl after several years (after replacing a cheap Technics table with the Dual) is that small jazz combos sound GREAT on vinyl. Some of the Blue Note stuff like Coltrane's Blue Train and Ike Quebec's Soul Samba just sound right on vinyl - cymbals and brush work, especially, don't come across as well on cd.

musicoverall
11-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the advice!

this is what I was planning on doing. also I'm running my TT through my yamaha receiver. probably not the audiophile way to do things, but it works, and i'm not going to worry about separate components until I feel the need to get rid of my receiver.

I'm in Fort Wayne, IN btw. I've been searching around for decent record stores for a week or so, and I've found a couple that look promising, though I'll need more time. I've already picked up original pressings of Soundgarden's Screaming Life and Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff, both early SubPop releases. I'd really like to find an early pressing of Nirvana's Bleach (maybe a Tupelo pressing on black vinyl) and Mark Lanegan's The Winding Sheet, but it looks like I'm going to have to shell out or do some real searching if I want these two.
Also I think I'm going to get all of the John Frusciante recordings (new) on Record Collection. I have them all on CD, and this could be a good way to do some side to side testing of CD and vinyl. Not that I really care all that much which is the 'best' format and for what reasons, I just think it would be interesting.

Fortunately most of the stuff I like is semi-obscure and may exist in only one or two pressings, so I can usually be pretty sure of what I'm getting.

Come down to Indy and shop at Missing Link Records! 2 hours away! You won't be sorry. P.S That Mudhoney disc is a killer! I bought mine at ML recently as well as some Sonic Youth stuff.

musicoverall
11-22-2004, 12:42 PM
One thing I did find when I got back into vinyl after several years (after replacing a cheap Technics table with the Dual) is that small jazz combos sound GREAT on vinyl. Some of the Blue Note stuff like Coltrane's Blue Train and Ike Quebec's Soul Samba just sound right on vinyl - cymbals and brush work, especially, don't come across as well on cd.

CD's certainly suck the life out of these classic recordings. I'm not sure why. But I agree - if you want to hear what these dates sounded like, pick them up on vinyl. That's true of most music but definitely true of '50's and '60's era small band jazz.

john_jcb
12-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Check out resale and charity shops. I recently found a cache of new records that had been in a small flood. The bottom inch or two had gotten wet. The jackets were ruined but after I cleaned the mold and other remains they were perfect. Best of all I got them at $0.33 each.

Harleyx
12-12-2004, 08:28 AM

You're gonna LOVE it.
Just stay outa my way at garage sales & flea markets...)

thepogue
12-18-2004, 04:20 PM
and get ready for a blast!!

I pulled an old TT outta the attaic aobut 9 months ago..whew...never looked back!!

email me and let me know what type of music your looking for and I'll keep me eyes open!

thepogue@yahoo.com