Rethink Moving OT Threads (like this one) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rethink Moving OT Threads (like this one)

BarryL
11-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Come on, Mr. Terrible.

Given that we have a nice little community of interest here, where many of these folks actually get together as they travel across the country on business and vacations, doesn't it seem heavy handed to intervene in a little bit of off-topic conversation? I've been posting to people on this board for about six years. I know many of them fairly well through years of conversation. I know that this is where I'll find them. What's so wrong about posting something of interest to the community that exists in this space right here, even if it is off-topic? Are other people complaining? Did someone who visits the Film Review section complain that there was a movie posting here? It's just not right that we should have to scatter our community conversations across the different boards when the people we want to talk to are right here. That defeats the purpose of trying to create a community.

How about a little slack here. What's so critical about moving a post about a movie that is aimed at the people on this board to another one? Clearly it was posted here because the person who posted it intended for his friends on this board to read it. Please try not to ruin a good thing here, even if you think you have good intentions.

Or maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time).

Jim Clark
11-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Gota agree with Barry L here Terrence. I am not interested in venturing over to the films forum but I am interested in what 3lockbox has to say. This little community has taken root largely in part because of posts that are related to things outside of music. We've survived some pretty hamfisted moderating decisions, not that this is necessarily one of them, but we do best when left to our own devices.

My suggestion: unless there's profanity or some other offensive remarks such as racism, bigotry, or hatred, please leave it alone.

Regards,
jc

Hyfi
11-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Don't you know there is a Complaint Forum?

No, I agree with everything you said. It is about community. I guess the best way around this would be to include a line about the Soundtrack to the movie. That would make it fit here in the music forum.

From now on use the title of "Sountrack to the movie The Incredibles" or whatever. Tell us about the music and the movie.

dean_martin
11-19-2004, 02:06 PM
If by chance you miss my response on the favorite films board, I'll repost it here:

Hmmmmmm...how to respond without appearing confrontational? When Troy reposted on the rave recs board, he noted that only about 3 people bothered to look at his post in favorite films. This was not true. In fact, he had about 90 views and 6 responses. Some of the frequent visitors were actually waiting for a review of The Incredibles and showed their appreciation. I'm glad he didn't post soley on the rave recs board.

The favorite films board from October through the first week of November was getting more viewers, almost 30 at a time, than I've noticed in the past. I thought it might be time for a regular weekly post similar to the Tunesday thread in rave recs - something like a Monday thread on the movies seen in theaters or rented over the weekend. But, the number of viewers and participants dropped off.

I really have no opinion on what the moderator did. Troy did post in favorite films and maybe that should have been satisfactory. My concern is that the Favorite Films board doesn't dry up. Most of us who post on this board can also be found in other sections discussing audio/video gear and even recorded music. We welcome you guys at Rave Recs to get out a little more and join us occasionally in discussing movies.

Jim Clark
11-19-2004, 02:34 PM
If by chance you miss my response on the favorite films board, I'll repost it here:

That's too funny, but of course so very true. That was some quick thinking.

jc

ForeverAutumn
11-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Troy did post in favorite films and maybe that should have been satisfactory.

I agree with Barry as well. Troy posted in favourite films first. But then decided to post here also. Why? We would have to ask Troy to be sure, but my best guess is that he wanted to share his experience with his friends.

Having a post moved is like having your taxi driver, who's supposed to be driving you to a friend's house, drop you off in a different neigbourhood because he thinks you should get out more. And now you have to hope that your friends will come to you!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Guys(and Ladies),

I know it is inconvient(and sometimes undesireable) to have to visit other forums in audioreview to get pertinent information, but for organizational sake its a must. We have new visitors to this site daily. I think it would be very disconbobulating to them if they found music reviews in the film section, movie reviews in the recording section, questions on digital in the analog section, turntable questions in the digital section, just because everyone has made a "community" in these sections. The job of us moderators is to make the board run smoothly for EVERYONE, not just the regulars.

Before I became moderator, I was all over this site. I posted and responded to digital questions in the digital forum, general question in the general forum, and post reviews in the favorite film section. But my favorite hangout was the hometheater section. In spite of that, I never posted movie reviews in that section just because all of my online(and off line) buddies were there. I went to the favorite films section and posted my reviews. Guess what, my buddies where there also.

Rather than fight and complain about the movement of off topic posts, assist the moderators and the website as a whole by visiting the various section within the general community. In doing so you will find there are a bunch of cool people within all of the forums, alot of knowledgeable ones, and you will probably see some of the regulars you see here. But for the sake of organization, and for the sake of visitors, please direct your postings to the appropriate forum. You do not have to lose touch with your buddies in the process, I haven't.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvience this may cause this forum.

BarryL
11-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Guys(and Ladies),

I know it is inconvient(and sometimes undesireable) to have to visit other forums in audioreview to get pertinent information, but for organizational sake its a must. The job of us moderators is to make the board run smoothly for EVERYONE, not just the regulars.

Before I became moderator, I was all over this site. I posted and responded to digital questions in the digital forum, general question in the general forum, and post reviews in the favorite film section.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvience this may cause this forum.

It's just that I don't have all day to visit the other forums. And I guess with all the complaints you must be receiving about the existing disorganization and the board not running smoothly, you have to do what's necessary to get things organized and running smoothly for everyone. But do recognize that this is the Internet, not the public library with its Dewey Decimal System, and the rules you make here should make people feel welcome and participative, not pigeon-holed and fenced in.

Enough Said.

dean_martin
11-19-2004, 04:45 PM
I agree with Barry as well. Troy posted in favourite films first. But then decided to post here also. Why? We would have to ask Troy to be sure, but my best guess is that he wanted to share his experience with his friends.

Having a post moved is like having your taxi driver, who's supposed to be driving you to a friend's house, drop you off in a different neigbourhood because he thinks you should get out more. And now you have to hope that your friends will come to you!

I know he posted in favorite films first. Because he posted in both places, I thought the decision to combine them in one place was a little anal. All I'm saying is that ya'll should come over some time and talk film. A lot of us who post on favorite films also post here, but I don't think there's much reciprocity. If most of the film talk migrates over here then favorite films dries up and blows away. There's not as much of us film afficiandos as there are music lovers at AR so I'm simply extending an invite.

tentoze
11-19-2004, 04:49 PM
There's not as much of us film afficiandos as there are music lovers at AR so I'm simply extending an invite.
A reasoned response, and a very cordial and gracious invitation. You are a gentleman, sir.

:)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-19-2004, 05:13 PM
I hope all that wanted to complain got a chance to. BarryL, Jim C's issues have been addressed, tentoz had his oportunity to be rude, dean martin called me anal, I think that covers just about everything. This thread can be closed now