Buying Used Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Speakers

Dirk Dasterdly
11-19-2004, 11:19 AM
I am planning on buying some quality speakers on Ebay. I've read the reviews of many brands and models of speakers. However, something just occured to me. If these speakers are 10 years old, then will the review matter? Obviously you don't want blown speakers. But, for example, I'm looking at some B&Ws that might have been $3500 new. Now, they're on Ebay for $400+ After 10 years of use, are these speakers going to "wear out"? Am I buying the same speakers they were 10 years ago? In all of the reviews I've read, they all seem to be right out of the box or in a dealer's showroom.

Does anybody have any experience with buying used speakers and how 5 to 10 year old speakers perform over the following 5 to 10 years? Am I going to be buying $3500 for $450 speakers and then buying more speakers in just a couple of years?

I know electronic equipment can "break". I've had the surround channels go out on my receiver before. And power supplies are notorious for going out in my house (tv, vcr, receiver, computer...and not from surges that I can tell). But what about speaker material, connections, etc.

Thanks

hifimaster
11-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Speaker don't "wear out" in the typical sense. Usually they will be effected by age through deterioration of the foam surrounds and possible problems with crossover components. If they were kept in a reasonbly clean and stable atmosphere, they will be fine.

I have speakers over 17 years old, and they sound and look as fantastic today as they did in 1987.

If you order any speakers from ebay, get LOTS of pictures.

Good Luck,
James

topspeed
11-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Sure speakers wear out. The foam rolls deteriorate, caps leak, binding posts go bad from abuse, all kinds of things. However, they can also last for a helluva long time if taken care of. You have to consider all kinds of things like humidity where they are, exposure to light, owner care, etc. As with anything else, you do your research and hope for the best but expect the worst.

I'd look over at audiogon.com if I were you. The site is populated primarily by audiophiles who know and care for their equipment (most of the time; caveat emptor and all). A lot of guys here and at other sites have been happy with their transactions over there.

Worf101
11-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Every speaker in my house is used save a sub-woofer and a couple of surrounds. I've had to replace some cones and a couple of drivers but other than that my speakers have worked like champs. I own a lot of "orphan" brands as well, Epicure, Allison, ADS, Logik, etc... that are no longer being produced. I ike the odd and the unusual. I think buying used speaks on ebay, if done with caution and foreknowledge is a fun and wonderous thing to do.

Da Worfster :cool: