Axiom M22ti or Paradigm equivalent [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Axiom M22ti or Paradigm equivalent

themurph1018
11-17-2004, 07:46 PM
I think ive narrowed down my search to these two companies because they offer great performance on even their low level models. Im most likely going to purchase thru ebay. Anyway, Im not sure what the paradigm equivalent would be, but which should I get? Or feel free to suggest other speakers. Also they will be driven by an HK avr230 in stereo for the time being (im pretty sure stereo would be 50watts so they should be gettin their fair share of power). I also saw the paradigm Se5 MkII speakers, 7 SE speakers and 11se speakers. I know these are older models (im guessing actually) but i dont know how old. Would I get better sound from one of the older models because theyre most likely gonna come out around the same price.

Thanks

Woochifer
11-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Have you even listened to any of these speakers that you're interested in? Sounds to me like you're shopping more for a bargain than anything. If the sound quality is important, then you really have to do the listening before deciding (or order the speakers directly from Axiom so that you get their return guarantee) on the value. If price is the main determinant, then just go with whatever model is cheaper.

If you're interested in Paradigm, just visit your local dealer and give them a listen. Or check their website and look for reviews of the older models. But, in any case, I would be cautious of buying anything without hearing them first. Reviews and price alone are a less than ideal way of picking speakers, since those are by far the most subjective purchase you can make in an audio system. Someone's preferred model might be someone else's definition of unlistenable.

Jimmy C
11-18-2004, 05:26 AM
I think ive narrowed down my search to these two companies because they offer great performance on even their low level models. Im most likely going to purchase thru ebay. Anyway, Im not sure what the paradigm equivalent would be, but which should I get? Or feel free to suggest other speakers. Also they will be driven by an HK avr230 in stereo for the time being (im pretty sure stereo would be 50watts so they should be gettin their fair share of power). I also saw the paradigm Se5 MkII speakers, 7 SE speakers and 11se speakers. I know these are older models (im guessing actually) but i dont know how old. Would I get better sound from one of the older models because theyre most likely gonna come out around the same price.

Thanks

...are interesting to me as well. I remember these from 10 (or so) years ago, but I don't think I have ever heard them. I do know some actually prefer the Mks to the current Monitor line. Didn't the earlier Mks use a SEAS soft-dome tweeter? Probably a more forgiving speaker.

The D.I.Y Dayton kit from PartsExpress.com is very good for the money, and some fun as well. Have you ever heard the Titans? This kit is easily better, I have both. Just an idea if you want an inexpensive alternative ($140).

Good luck!

themurph1018
11-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Well it is true I'm looking for a bang for the buck type speaker. I am a college student so any amount of money i can save is a good amount. Haha. But I also consider myself an "audio enthusiast," so the average speakers--lets say at best buy, don't really suit my wants. When i make purchases over the internet I make sure I heavily research the porduct. Such as the e15a elemental design 15" sub I bought without hearing it. It has blown away my expectations thus far. So I dont necessarily need or want to listen to the speakers before buying. Although one day this might catch up with me, Its been workin so far. Im lookin to spend around $300 on a pair of bookshelf speakers. Sorry for the long story but If anyone has any recommendations on the best set of speakers I could get for around there--used or new I dont care.

Thanks alot.

kexodusc
11-18-2004, 11:48 AM
I haven't heard a $400 dollar speaker that outperforms the BR-1 kit mentioned above for $140 (comes in kit form, you assemble)...that speaker isn't without it's flaws, but is a solid, solid performer.

I listened to a pair a friend built next to my dining room speakers, the Axiom M3Ti (which after a year, I'm starting to warm up to...) and his Paradigm Mini-Monitors.

I paid around $230 I think for the Axioms, which are surprisingly a solid speaker, I take back much of what I said about them before...I think there's other alternatives, but they do alot right. They do rely on toe-in a bit more than I'm use to add detail, and are a bit low in the bass area, but have a fairly respectable sound once sit up properly, and are fairly sweet in the midrange. I like the Mini-Monitors just a bit more than Axioms because of the added bass response, and slightly better detail, imaging and soundstage, but some find the Mini monitors too bright...for an extra $130-$150, the Mini Monitors lose in the value department.

The BR-1's have a tighter, more accurate bass (plenty for a small speaker) and have a rather warm but smoother sound to them at the top end compared to the Paradigms. At less than 1/2 the cost it's a no brainer. I can't believe these aren't alot more popular than they are in the DIY world.
In fact, I'm considering selling the M3Ti's to buy the BR-1 kit myself. That or dissect them and clone them out of the MCM electronics drivers they use.
Definitely worth some serious consderation IMO.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-640&DID=7

themurph1018
11-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks Jimmy and kexodusc. I think this might be the option for me. I may even get 2 or 3 sets to complete my system depending on my impression. Sorry for not thanking you Jimmy for the suggestion but i couldnt find it on the site so I thought they discontinued it. And thanks for the link kexodusc. Thats exactly what I'm lookin for.

Thanks again to all.

themurph1018
11-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Actually after looking at it I might have some second thoughts. It says in the manual it is only about an 82 sensitivity. I only have 50x6 with my hk 230. Will these speakers still be able to pound even with the low sensitivity?

topspeed
11-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Actually after looking at it I might have some second thoughts. It says in the manual it is only about an 82 sensitivity. I only have 50x6 with my hk 230. Will these speakers still be able to pound even with the low sensitivity?
If you're looking to "pound," you're going to need a floorstander if you don't already own a sub. This Athena FS2 (http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2&product_name=Audition%20AS-F2%20Tower%20Speakers%20-%20Pair) would be a definite consideration for exactly that. Monitors, any monitor, won't put out a ton of bass.

If you prize precision and accuracy, I'd look at these Epos ELS3's (http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=EPOELS3&product_name=ELS3%20Mini%20Monitor%20Speakers%20-%20Pair). You don't have to buy them from AudioAdvisor (Athena is at BB) although I've purchased stuff from them and they have excellent service.

These are two very different speakers so you'll need to decide which better fits your needs.

Hope this helps.

themurph1018
11-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Ok pound was kind of a bad word choice. I want decent bass response; what I meant by pound is just overall loudness. I dont want to have to crank my receiver up to near max volume just for a suitable level. And I like to jam with my speakers loud alot. Im really intrigued by paradigm mini monitors and monitor 3's. If I could find a decent price on the monitor 3's I might buy them.

Jimmy C
11-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Ok pound was kind of a bad word choice. I want decent bass response; what I meant by pound is just overall loudness. I dont want to have to crank my receiver up to near max volume just for a suitable level. And I like to jam with my speakers loud alot. Im really intrigued by paradigm mini monitors and monitor 3's. If I could find a decent price on the monitor 3's I might buy them.

...but they go plenty loud with my Denon 75 WPC receiver. You'll notice that the volume knob must be turned up a bit more than other speakers, but it's not like satisfying volume levels can't be acheived - for eg., with a CD, by 10:00 on the knob it's pretty loud... my 70 WPC isn't much different in overall loudness than your 50. Dynamics are also good. You will still be able to damage your hearing :*)

Compared to the Mini Mons, the Dayton will seem fuller, fatter, warmer, more laid-back, and better able to cope with poor recordings. The Paradigms are tighter and leaner and more "characterless"... not sure who REALLY has deeper bass. Relying on memory, I would say the BR1, but the Minis seem quicker and a bit more dynamic. They are two different presentations, not sure of your preferences.

As Kex (?) said, they are not without faults... there is the low sensitivity and some upper bass/lower mids nasality (something like that) - but not offensive at all. I still want to try stuffing the enclosures with "polyfill" (whatever) for a possible quick fix.

Oh - sorry I didn't supply a link... I dunno how!

Cougar Guy
11-18-2004, 05:58 PM
...are interesting to me as well. I remember these from 10 (or so) years ago, but I don't think I have ever heard them. I do know some actually prefer the Mks to the current Monitor line. Didn't the earlier Mks use a SEAS soft-dome tweeter? Probably a more forgiving speaker.

Yes. I had a pair of 9SE MK's and they did indeed have the soft dome tweeter. This lineup was replaced by the Monitor series and I think the primary difference was the move to the metal tweeter. I'm sure the other drivers changed as well, but I don't know if there were huge differences. I enjoyed the pair that I had before moving up the the Studio 80's I have now.

themurph1018
11-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Do you think I'd get better sound from a pair of used 7se's or new mini-monitors or the dayton DIY?

Thanks

Woochifer
11-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Do you think I'd get better sound from a pair of used 7se's or new mini-monitors or the dayton DIY?

Thanks

Better sound is completely subjective when it comes to speakers because the variability between them is so much greater than with other audio components. That's why you need to do more listening than reading when choosing them.