Who has a standalone DVD recorder?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who has a standalone DVD recorder??

N. Abstentia
11-17-2004, 12:49 PM
I posted in the Digital Domain, but nobody read it so now I'm here!!

Who has one of these? I use a PC to capture/convert/edit/burn now and I'm sick of doing that with stuff I just want done quickly. I'm looking at the $179 Lite On, anybody use one?

hershon
11-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Well maybe I can help you for once. I got the Lite-On DVD Player/Recorder (LV-W5001)
I think that's the one you're referirng to at CircuitCityonline for $169 after rebates with free shipping & it took 2 days to get. They don't sell this model at Circuit City's retail stores which is why I bought it online. They're selling it at your $179 price now at that site.

To me this recorder is excellent & extremely easy to use as long as you use the remote. I bought it to convert my vhs & 8mm tapes to DVD and to record off TV. The results as I said are excellent. It uses the DVD+R format. I'd actually recommend using your cheapest
DVD+RW discs for this (I can get them for about 30 cents each) as it records in actual time and you don't have to "finalize" a DVD+RW. You do have to finalize a DVD+R, but that only takes about 15 seconds. I use my computer DVD burner to copy commercial DVD's to DVD via DVD Shrink, which I owe you for turning me on to that. If you want to copy DVD's to DVD's using a standalone, some guy on Ebay for $125 or so, is selling an attachable decoder/decryptor. Again I find it easiest just using my computer for that.

I'm pretty sure the stand alone records 5.1 sound. As I said, using the remote there is a button that takes you through the recording process very fast & easily.

I don't know why one would pay $450 for a DVD recorder when they can get this for $169-$179 on sale. Good luck

Who has one of these? I use a PC to capture/convert/edit/burn now and I'm sick of doing that with stuff I just want done quickly. I'm looking at the $179 Lite On, anybody use one?

N. Abstentia
11-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Yeah I would be using this for turning laserdiscs, TV, and VHS into DVD's. Using the PC is so time consuming and for the stuff where I don't need to create fancy menus the standalone should be fine. Here are my questions:

1) How do you edit video? If I have a one hour program with 6 commercial breaks, how do you remove the commercials?

2) Does the LiteOn accept optical audio input?

3) It just uses any standard old +R media?

hershon
11-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Its actually very easy to edit from my stand point if this is what you're trying to do (if not, I don't know): Let's say I want to record to DVD a video tape I have on a TV show with commercials. The only way as far as I know to get rid of the commercials is to just pause the DVD by remote control during the recording process each time a commercial comes up & press record again (or pause again to get pause off I forgot which I just did this once & it was easy). It's alot more accurate then doing it on a video as I think this is all done digitally or something.

I have no idea what an optical audio input is but it does say you can use a fiber optic cable to connect the digital out opticlal output to the digital optical input on an AV amplifiier or receiver. Here are the rear pannel connections: VHF/UHF IN/Out Jacks. Line in (S Video) Jack, Lin ein Video /Audio L/R jacks, Component Video Output Jacks, Line Out Video/Auio L/R Jacks, Digital Out (Coaxal) jack, Digital Out (Optical Jack) also DV-Link (EEE-1394) Jack

I'm a bit unclear as to the specs, this is what it says:
Media Types Supported (read only) DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-Rom, CD_R/RW, CD-ROM Content Supported DVD-Video, DVD+VR, Video CD, Super VCD, Audio CD, MP3, JPEG, Recordable discs supported DVD+R, DVD+RW

Their phone number is 408-935-5353

Yeah I would be using this for turning laserdiscs, TV, and VHS into DVD's. Using the PC is so time consuming and for the stuff where I don't need to create fancy menus the standalone should be fine. Here are my questions:

1) How do you edit video? If I have a one hour program with 6 commercial breaks, how do you remove the commercials?

2) Does the LiteOn accept optical audio input?

3) It just uses any standard old +R media?

kpzbee
11-17-2004, 05:47 PM
You might want to do some reading onHERE (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=106) before buying a unit. It all depends upon what you want it to do for you. Buying a unit with a HDD (hard disc drive) will enable you to edit movies, recordings, etc a lot easier than one without a HDD. Remember, what you pay for is what you get. :D I have a Pioneer 520 with a 80gb HDD & wouldn't consider a unit without one. Do some research before you buy.

N. Abstentia
11-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah I could see where a model with a hard drive would be very nice to have, the only problem with that is the cost. For that price I could build another PC to dedicate to DVD capturing which would accomplish my goal of freeing up my main PC from video capturing. I know there would be very few people willing or able to do that though, making the recorder with hard drive the obvious choice.

N. Abstentia
11-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Hershon,

When you press pause to cut out the material you don't want, does it create a chapter stop at that point? Also, how does it create menus? How do you label the chapters?

Also sounds like it has no digital audio input, so it's not capable of recording 5.1 which is a major bummer. I have to have the optical input..you sure it does not have it? Guess I could look at their website and stop being so lazy :)

hershon
11-17-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty sure it records in 5.1 surround sound so maybe I didn't do a great job of being specific on this. In regards to editing etc. I can't really give you an answer because other than one time I had no need to edit anything. For my needs this is perfect: 1. I want to record TV shows & transfer complete VHS and 8mm recordings, nothing more nothing less. To copy DVD's I use my computer DVD burner & DVD Shrink. I really recommend you call the company up to get someone who can give you a definate yes or no or clarifications to your questions, as the price can't be beat. Here is the technical data from Amazon.com
Supported media types: DVD+R/+RW, DVD-ROM (read only), CD-R/RW (read only), CD-ROM (read only)
Supported content formats: DVD-Video, DVD+VR, VCD, Super VCD, Audio CD, MP3 CD, JPEG CD
TV standard: PAL NTSC
Number of lines: 625 (50Hz) x 525 (50Hz)
Video format: MPEG2 - DVD+VR, DVD-Video, Super VCD; MPEG1 - DVD+VR, Video CD
Video recording quality: HQ 1 hour (MPEG2, 720 x 480); SP 2 hours (MPEG2, 720 x 480); LP 4 hours (MPEG2, 352 x 480); EP 6 hours (MPEG1, 352 x 240)
DA converter, video: 11-bit/27 MHz
AD converter, video: 9-bit
Dolby Digital (AC-3): Multichannel
DTS: Multichannel
MPEG1 Audio: 2-channel
MPEG2 Audio: Multichannel
PCM Audio: 2-channel
Front connections: Video Input RCA connector (yellow); Audio Left/Right Input RCA connector (white/red); IEEE-1394 Input mini jack
Rear connections: Tuner (in/out); RCA jacks (in/out); optical
OSD languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
Dimensions: 16.5 x 2.6 x 10.5 inches (W x H x D)
Weight: 8.8 pounds
Warranty: 1 year limited parts and labor
In the Box: Lite-On LVW5001 DVD player/recorder, remote control, 2 AA batteries, RCA cable, and operations manual

Hershon,

When you press pause to cut out the material you don't want, does it create a chapter stop at that point? Also, how does it create menus? How do you label the chapters?

Also sounds like it has no digital audio input, so it's not capable of recording 5.1 which is a major bummer. I have to have the optical input..you sure it does not have it? Guess I could look at their website and stop being so lazy :)

Lensman
11-17-2004, 08:20 PM

Videohelp.com is a great resource for researching DVD hardware. They have many user reviews and even links to hacks. Their section on DVD recorders is here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders

Here's what they have on the $179 Lite-On you're looking at (including media handling capability):

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=185&Search=Search&list=1#comments

Additional specifications for this unit can be found on Lite-On's site here:

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvw_5001_2.htm

Finally, here's a link to a Sound & Vision article about buying DVD recorders:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=636&page_number=1&preview=

hershon
11-17-2004, 09:27 PM
First off thanks for the links which might be useful to me in the future. One of the links is way out of date as it lists best price at $300 and I got this for $169 new including shipping. One fallicy with these reviews in general, and this isn't a dig at you, but applies to my experience reading these things on Amazon and your link below for example, is in my opinion these people tend to be idiots while people who are happy with their product are not as vocal and/or do not review as much, compared to the nutcases/dissatisfied people who do. Now I'm not saying everyone who posts a negative review on Amazon or your link isn't justified or is a nutcase, but I'd just consider the source. If I went by these reviews, I'd never buy anything at all. You get reviews like the moron who spent $179 on a refurbished LiteOn DVD Recorder- come on! Another example. I almost didn't buy this DVD recorder because I saw, I think it was on Amazon, a review saying how hard it was to use. Well its hard if you have an IQ under 40, its the easiest recording device I ever used and I'm not a technical genious. If on a board like this I saw more than one person bad mouthing or praising a product, it would actually hold weight with me.

Switching the topic, if for someone like me who is only doing light on hand tasks for DVD recording- recording TV shows & transferring VHS and 8mm film to DVD, would there be any advantage spending 3 times the money on a state of the art DVD recorder?

Videohelp.com is a great resource for researching DVD hardware. They have many user reviews and even links to hacks. Their section on DVD recorders is here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders

Here's what they have on the $179 Lite-On you're looking at (including media handling capability):

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=185&Search=Search&list=1#comments

Additional specifications for this unit can be found on Lite-On's site here:

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvw_5001_2.htm

Finally, here's a link to a Sound & Vision article about buying DVD recorders:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=636&page_number=1&preview=

Lensman
11-17-2004, 10:49 PM
First off thanks for the links which might be useful to me in the future. One of the links is way out of date as it lists best price at $300 and I got this for $169 new including shipping. One fallicy with these reviews in general, and this isn't a dig at you, but applies to my experience reading these things on Amazon and your link below for example, is in my opinion these people tend to be idiots while people who are happy with their product are not as vocal and/or do not review as much, compared to the nutcases/dissatisfied people who do. Now I'm not saying everyone who posts a negative review on Amazon or your link isn't justified or is a nutcase, but I'd just consider the source. If I went by these reviews, I'd never buy anything at all. You get reviews like the moron who spent $179 on a refurbished LiteOn DVD Recorder- come on! Another example. I almost didn't buy this DVD recorder because I saw, I think it was on Amazon, a review saying how hard it was to use. Well its hard if you have an IQ under 40, its the easiest recording device I ever used and I'm not a technical genious. If on a board like this I saw more than one person bad mouthing or praising a product, it would actually hold weight with me.

Switching the topic, if for someone like me who is only doing light on hand tasks for DVD recording- recording TV shows & transferring VHS and 8mm film to DVD, would there be any advantage spending 3 times the money on a state of the art DVD recorder?

You're welcome on the links. I didn't read the reviews when I posted this. But after reading your comments I went back and did so. While I agree reviews are always to be taken with a grain of salt, one thing I appreciate about the reviews on this site is that the people generally DO know what they're talking about. Most of these folks are heavily technical users who will buy something and try to get it to do everything in the universe by hacking the firmware, modding the hardware, and running all kinds of different blank and recorded media through it. As a result, this site may not be everybody's cup of tea as many don't have an interest in doing things beyond casual recording and copying. For me, I like to know how versatile a unit can be, what troubles it may have with different brands of media (they all will to some degree), and see some reliability reports. Though N. Abstentia is looking for a "lazy" solution, he does mess around with a PC DVD recorder and Tivo, so I though he might aprreciate it as well.

I've bought several things based on this site's reviewers. For example, I bought a crappy Apex 1100W DVD player from Wal-Mart It's incredibly cheaply made. It's poorly spray painted. The whole thing moves on the shelf when you touch the "open door" button. The remote sucks. You have to press a "shift" key just to get navigation arrows. I've had several friends that bought them as well. Like the reviewers noted, several were DOA and had to be returned. So why buy it? Well it does PAL and NTSC, plays JPEGs, MP3s and VCDs and with an unauthorized firmware update, it's now region-free so I can watch things like anime videos from Japan and its Macrovision free, so I can use it as a source player. All for $40. It's worked fine for 2 years, so I figure I've at least got my money out of it.

Are these people dissatisfied with the Lite-On? Well I suppose it looks like this at first glance. They certainly complain a lot about firmware, there's talk the unit can overheat, the remote is cheesy, and there are bells and whistles like VCR+ codes missing. Really, this is pretty standard for any inexpensive mass market DVD player/recorder these days. One has to remember the average manufacturer profit margin these things is currently around $.30 per unit. It goes without saying none of these are going to be built like a Krell amp. For proof, just look at reviews for anything else. On the other hand they all seem to agree the Lite-On is pretty easy to use and has video quality that's quite good. Plus it can be region and macrovision disabled. Not bad. At this price, I might have to look at one for myself.

hershon
11-18-2004, 12:00 AM
I didn't mean to imply and maybe I'm misinterpreting your comments here, that I don't hold weight to what people say on this board when buying product, I totally hold weight to what people say about products on audioreview.com- my only 2 disagreements are with my JVC DVD/receiver which I'm very happy with and my Orb Audio Mod 1 speakers/sub which I love. The only reason I bought the Orbs is because on another forum, ecoustic, there were about 50 different people raving about them which got me to contact the company which is only 20 minutes from where I live and hear them myself.

In regards to the liteon DVD recorder, which to me is a great deal for the price, at least for what I use it for, the remote is great, these people who are reviewing it, are totally clueless. All you need to do to record on this system, which for a moron like me makes this fantastic, is press 1 button on the remote and it then takes you through 4 or so easy steps requiring you to push the word go on the screen via the remote, that a chimpanzee can do & your DVD is recorded.

Anyway, thanks for the links.

Lensman
11-18-2004, 07:19 PM
I didn't mean to imply and maybe I'm misinterpreting your comments here, that I don't hold weight to what people say on this board when buying product, I totally hold weight to what people say about products on audioreview.com- my only 2 disagreements are with my JVC DVD/receiver which I'm very happy with and my Orb Audio Mod 1 speakers/sub which I love. The only reason I bought the Orbs is because on another forum, ecoustic, there were about 50 different people raving about them which got me to contact the company which is only 20 minutes from where I live and hear them myself.

In regards to the liteon DVD recorder, which to me is a great deal for the price, at least for what I use it for, the remote is great, these people who are reviewing it, are totally clueless. All you need to do to record on this system, which for a moron like me makes this fantastic, is press 1 button on the remote and it then takes you through 4 or so easy steps requiring you to push the word go on the screen via the remote, that a chimpanzee can do & your DVD is recorded.

Anyway, thanks for the links.

No problem. Actually when I said, "this site," I meant the one I was recommending (videohelp). We both choose to participate on this forum (audioreview). I'm sure we both do so because we generally respect the opinions of the majority of the other members, though we may not always agree with them.

The Lite-On does appear worthy of consideration. I'm giving some thought to buying one myself, though I want to research DVD-RAM a bit first. The Lite-On is the second most reviewed recorder listed on videohelp and one of the most viewed. Obviously a lot of people have bought it. As for the remote, I don't know that anyone considers it hard to use. In fact most say it's very easy and even "idiot proof". The one person complaining about it said its range was too short and it was sometimes unpredictable in its actions. Another person said it was a bit slow to respond (which could be the other person's problem as well). Most people don't seem to have any problem with it.

hershon
11-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Can you answer one technical question I have on the DVD recording process as well as a question I put on another thread. Namely, if you record for VHS tape to VHS tape, each time you lose a generation but you can record from VHS to DVD or DVD to DVD without losing a generation & thus producing a clone? If you can play a PAL (European) DVD on your player will it still view on your regular US TV or do you need a PAL or multisystem TV to view it? Can you convert NTSC DVD's to PAL & viceversa via your computer burner and DVD Shrink software program?

Lensman
11-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Can you answer one technical question I have on the DVD recording process as well as a question I put on another thread. Namely, if you record for VHS tape to VHS tape, each time you lose a generation but you can record from VHS to DVD or DVD to DVD without losing a generation & thus producing a clone? If you can play a PAL (European) DVD on your player will it still view on your regular US TV or do you need a PAL or multisystem TV to view it? Can you convert NTSC DVD's to PAL & viceversa via your computer burner and DVD Shrink software program?

Certainly. Because VHS is an analog recording and playback format, each time a copy is made, there is some information that is lost. For VHS to VHS copying, with the original tape defined as the first generation copy, a second generation VHS copy (a copy of the original) is usually fine. The third generation VHS copy begins to show signs of degradation. The fourth generation VHS copy has significant degradation, and the fifth generation copy is considered unusable.

When copying VHS to DVD there is a slight amount of signal loss because the VHS playback is analog. But the loss of information is usually below any level that is perceptible to the ordinary person.

DVD is a digital process where the signal information is converted to ones and zeros. So unlike analog, there are no signal levels that can get weaker. There's only "signal" and "no signal". Because of this, it's possible to make perfect copies of CD's DVD's or computer disks, regardless of how many generations the source has been through. As long as the information is copied exactly, the copy will be perfect.

But when information is compressed during a digital copy, there is degradation. For example, your DVD Shrink program makes copies from commercial DVDs to DVD-Rs by compressing information on 8.5 GB DVD-9 and 9.4 GB DVD-10 format disks so that they fit on standard 4.7 GB DVD-5 computer disks. This results in some loss of quality. However, any copy of the DVD-5 disk to another DVD-5 disk will be perfect, or as you say, a clone.

I've answered your NTSC/PAL question on the other thread you started for it.