Anyone looking for a good buy on speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking for a good buy on speakers?

Mr Peabody
11-17-2004, 12:26 PM
I was looking around for some chap speakers and checked www.crutchfield.com, they have a pair of Acoustic Research 6 1/2" 2-ways for $99. and some models of Infinity for half price. I saw Alpha 20's at $199.00. Other stores may have the same deals but thought I would pass this along.

i was looking for a pair to go with a vintage integrated. I brought in a pair of those Alpha 20's to try. The sales person convinced me they would be more detailed than the AR's.

bignerd100
11-18-2004, 12:51 PM
You have two ears. A salesperson should not be able to change the way soundwaves interact with your particular pair. He should facilitate your auditioning experiance only.

I like the Celestion F15 for 220 retial. they are very nice sounding efficent bookshelf speakers that sound better than many $300/pr speakers.

Good luck.

Mr Peabody
11-19-2004, 11:00 PM
I bought the speakers from Crutchfield. When I was talking to the sales person it was over the phone and I wanted his opinion on what they carried. I tried to get him to hold the phone up to the speaker but he told me that they all sound about the same over the phone.

I have the Alpha 20's now. They are actually pretty impressive. Somewhat unbalanced to my ears as the midrange seems to dominate the frequency response but I suspect these were probably designed with HT in mind. I think they would be hard to beat at their msrp of $398. and for sure for the $199. I paid. I find the bass remarkably accurate in a speaker of this price. The bass response was criticized in reviews but I suspect either they didn't have the electronics to push these properly or the great bass was over shadowed by the glaring mids. One positive about their sound is they shatter the image of entry level bookshelf speakers being muddy or boomy in the bottom end.

spacedeckman
11-20-2004, 07:23 AM
If your window is still open, go to Best Buy and try a pair of Athena B1s. They are even cheaper and have a better balance.

N. Abstentia
11-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Paradigm Atoms are $189! Don't forget those amazing little dudes :)

Mr Peabody
11-21-2004, 07:04 PM
The Alpha 20's are going back. I don't have the room nor do I want to spend money on a sub to try and make these sound right. The mids and highs unfortunately drowned out the bass. I listened to these on the Sansui amp they were intened for and some Adcom separates. If they didn't have bass with the Adcom there's no hope for them. I plan to check out the Acoustic Energy and the Athena. I don't know anyone who carries Celestian.

fabricoftruth
11-22-2004, 03:06 PM
I highly recommend the Athena - just got the ASF2 from audioadvisor. It simply rocks! Like the goodsound and stereophile reviews said, these indeed are among the very best speakers under 2000$.

bikehikefish
11-24-2004, 12:52 PM
I see you live in the St. Louis area. If you haven't already, go to Hi Fi Fo Fum and check out the Paradigm speakers. For the price range you are considering you could get a pair of Titans(good) or Mini Monitors(better).

I was there today listening to the Monitor 7s ($700),trying to decide if I should upgrade from my Mini Monitors. They didn't seem twice as good for twice the money.