Help, I need AS-B1 rear speaker advice! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need AS-B1 rear speaker advice!

allzhows
11-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I need your help and advice. Years ago I bought a Kenwood 504 Home theater system with the vr-507 receiver, 5 speakers and a subwoofer.

Over the last few years I have been able to upgrade the system with better speaker wire and speakers. I purchased Athena As-F2s for the fronts, AS-C1 for the center and moved the old fronts to the rear surround speakers. I like the Atenas and the receiver together.

Best Buy now has the Athena AS-B1s on sale for $100 a pair. I was thinking about buying them eventually, but not sure if they are going to make that big of a difference since I’m only going to be using them for surrounds in place of the kenwoods that I moved there. Is it worth the $100 to upgrade now? I mostly use the system to watch tv and dvds, don’t listen to that much music.

I have listened to both the AS-B1 and the AS-B2. I like the AS-B2 better but for twice as much is it worth it for rear surrounds?

lytalbayre
11-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Depends...

Do the athenas have a wider range of sound than your old speakers?
Can your receiver adjust crossovers for each speaker separately?
Are the athenas more efficient that your old speakers?

If yes to these questions, then it could be a worthwhile investment. You could hear more detail and clarity coming from your surrounds than currently.

Thanks.