HELP! the wife wants Bose! i'm looking for Gallo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! the wife wants Bose! i'm looking for Gallo

fastco
11-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Hi i know a lot of you have been here .. i'm getting back into audio after years of listening to a portable radio .... very said indeed back in the 70,s not married had the big bad rock & roll monster system .. fond memories .anyway get'n back into audio the wife & i were shopping she see's a Bose demo & she's convinced .... honey there small & it sounds great! Well i choked myshelf ( sorry Bose )i said let me shop around i hear for small Anthony Gallo has very nice mini speakers....... she has not a clue really good from bad sound unless the speakers are blown or wound out with 70% distortion come'n @ her..
any one help me finding a dealer with fair prices on Gallo ? I'm living in Niagara Falls NY Thanks in advance! Daryl

hifimaster
11-17-2004, 06:22 AM
Hey there. From my neck of the woods, huh?

I checked the Gallo site and could not find a dealer listed in our area. You may have to look for an on-line dealer. Unfortunately this precludes you from an audition.

Good luck,
James

topspeed
11-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Daryl,

While I can't recommend a dealer, how much were you looking to spend?

JSE
11-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Is leaving your wife and spending whatever you damn well please on whatever speakers you want an option? :D

JSE

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-17-2004, 01:55 PM
I say get a cross, and place it firmly on her forehead. While doing that, throw holy water and recite scripture. Don't worry, the screams of pain and anguish go away after a while, and she will not be posessed with that demon any more!

I would say check out Gallo online to see if they have a return policy(also check with the online retailing for their policy also). If you don't like what you hear, send them back.

Geoffcin
11-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi i know a lot of you have been here .. i'm getting back into audio after years of listening to a portable radio .... very said indeed back in the 70,s not married had the big bad rock & roll monster system .. fond memories .anyway get'n back into audio the wife & i were shopping she see's a Bose demo & she's convinced .... honey there small & it sounds great! Well i choked myshelf ( sorry Bose )i said let me shop around i hear for small Anthony Gallo has very nice mini speakers....... she has not a clue really good from bad sound unless the speakers are blown or wound out with 70% distortion come'n @ her..
any one help me finding a dealer with fair prices on Gallo ? I'm living in Niagara Falls NY Thanks in advance! Daryl

You will not be disappointed. I'm going to be adding a few more around here over the next few months.

Woochifer
11-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Gallo's been the most commonly cited Bose Acoustimess alternative among higher end dealers for the last few years. I've heard mixed things about the Gallos, but most of the time people who've heard them indicate that they are a step above the Bose AM systems. Just how big a step above is debatable. Also, the Gallos cost more than the Bose systems.

But, more recently, a lot of new alternatives have popped up. Out on the west coast, Good Guys recently added the Klegg sub/sat systems from Britain, and I've been seeing more dealers around here carry the Morel home theater systems. All of these are sphere shaped one-way speakers that look similar to the Gallos, and are obviously aimed at people who are otherwise considering Bose. And from this site, you see the ads for the Orb Audio mail order sub/sat systems. Gallo seems to have the largest dealer network, but if you can't find them close to where you live, maybe you can find these other alternatives.

http://www.klegg-america.com
http://www.morel.co.il

Lensman
11-17-2004, 08:50 PM
With satellites just 7.5" tall, a center 3.75" deep, and a sub 8.75" wide, Monitor Audio's Radius series is another option in the high-end/tiny size category. One plus is they feature some very elegant finishes that make them very pleasing to look at. Here are a couple of links to reviews that have pictures:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/304monitor/
http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/1003/06.ma.shtml

And here's the link to them on Monitor Audio's site:

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/radius/index.html

fastco
11-17-2004, 10:31 PM
I think i'm getting somwhere now , have had lots of new info from readers & some real world tests found on Bose speaker systems ,as i suspected all along smoke & mirrors
& marketing genuis by Bose wins over the uneducated consumers eg: my wife & many
others .. there not to blame they've fall'n for the big lie through mass target marketing
Anyhow @ least i've opened her eyes & ears & were now looking @ Gallo & Klegg
& Donner Haus thanks again to those who took the time to respond & send help.
Regards! Daryl :)

prash
11-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi,

u could try the VT12 system from hsuresearch.com. they are about the same size and will sound a lot better than the Bose ones. They cost about $550 incuding the sub, so they should be a lot cheaper too.

prashanth

N. Abstentia
11-18-2004, 04:56 PM
The Paradigm Cinema would be a great alternative, and Velodyne also makes a system that leaves Bose in the dust.

Barrylanc
12-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey I have been looking at the Klegg (http://www.kleggusa.com) system also. They seem to be pretty good, has anyone had any experience with them?

cpq1c1mo
12-05-2004, 01:39 PM
The All Highs And No Lows Bose

Woochifer
12-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Hey I have been looking at the Klegg (http://www.kleggusa.com) system also. They seem to be pretty good, has anyone had any experience with them?

They're relatively new in North America. Good Guys is a west coast specialty chain that recently picked up the line. Pretty curious considering that they'd added Gallo to their lineup only last year. I might have to give the Kleggs a listen since Good Guys is right in my area. The main thing that differentiates the Kleggs is that they also offer a system with a built in digita audio decoder which can eliminate the need for a receiver/amp depending on your system configuration.

meephis
12-07-2004, 09:40 PM
I think that one system that you would really like is the Mirage omnisat/microsat/nanosat systems, they use mostly reflected sound to acheive a beautiful, wonderfully ear pleasing sound, and since they use mostly reflected sound they canbe placed virtually anywhere in the room, run THAT by the wife and see what she says, not to mention that they are available in three sizes and a fewdifferent colors to match the decor of the room.