Grilles [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grilles

Darcher84
12-14-2003, 10:25 AM
Is it better to have the JBL S26 Grilles off or on? Since I want it to sound the best as it can get out of these cool speakers.

TinHere
12-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Some people say they can hear a difference. Listen for yourself to make that deternination, but don't trust your ears if your eyes are involved.

Darcher84
12-14-2003, 05:10 PM
How about this which looks more like a professional speaker? The grilles on or off? This is about the JBL S26 speakers only. Please reply

Woochifer
12-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Speaker response can and will measure differently with the grilles off. The fabric used on most grilles is pretty transparent acoustically, but can still affect the highs somewhat. Whether or not that different sound with the grilles off is actually better is up to you, and how well designed the grilles are. Personally, I would just leave them on to protect the exposed drivers.

Willow
12-15-2003, 11:04 AM
I would agree with Woochifer, you didnt spend that kind of cash to accidently bump into the drivers or have a your young nephew stick his fingers in them...but if you don't have that problem if you like'm off leave em off

RGA
12-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Is it better to have the JBL S26 Grilles off or on? Since I want it to sound the best as it can get out of these cool speakers.

Some speakers are designed with the intent to have the grills on...they make an allowance in their sound for having them on.

My speakers are the other way. While they come with grills they are meant to be taken off for listening even though when on they still sound pretty good. The designer of my speakers got fed up with dealers leaving the cloth on when showing speakers, I bet, that their new series no longer come with grill cloths at all. Since they look much better without the cloth this is an advantage.

My old wharfedales had a see-through grille that was said to be acoustically transparent and over ten years I can say that it made no difference whether they were on or off. When on they toned down the brightness(not sound but visual) of the chrome rings around my drivers.

Best thing is to listen and decide for yourself or send an e-mail to JBL and see what they say.

Darcher84
12-15-2003, 12:31 PM
But does it look like a pro studio monitor if the grilles are on or off??

markw
12-16-2003, 06:26 AM
But does it look like a pro studio monitor if the grilles are on or off??

Well, this is a whole new ball game. If looks are the issue here, then obviously you can't see the speakers with the grill on. If that's important to you, then leave 'em off and keep the cat away from 'em.

Norm Strong
12-21-2003, 08:39 PM

Whichever way looks the coolest, of course. If you have a child, a pet or a wife, leave them on.