America: Can we PLEASE lighten up?!? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : America: Can we PLEASE lighten up?!?

topspeed
11-16-2004, 02:29 PM
I just read that ABC had to publicly apologize for running a "steamy" intro to Monday Night Football with a towel covered Nicolette Sheridan sucessfully convincing Terrell Owens to be late for the game while two other stars of Desperate Housewives did the play by play ala' MNF. I saw the ad and thought it was hilarious. Apparently, there were a few people from the radical right that thought otherwise and flooded ABC and the NFL with complaints. Uhh, right...

Another instance was a recent Corvette ad called "A boy's dream" that had a small kid dreaming he was driving the new C6 Corvette in scenarios straight out of a John Woo film. Again, I thought the ad was inspired and captured the spirit that all young boys have about sports cars. Once again, the groups that like to censor our information thought that depicting a young (11 yrs old) child piloting a car was reckless and dangerous. Result? The ad which cost an estimated $2 million to shoot was pulled immediately.

News Flash: It's a commercial! It's make believe!

There are hundreds of examples of these instances and it's seriously making me wonder when American became such a dense (pun intended) group of namby-pamby panty wastes? Do we really need a small but vocal group of victorian age, uptight, nervous nannies dictating what is and/or isn't correct?

Gimme a break already!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-16-2004, 04:51 PM
This is what happens when you put the religious right(not christians) in control out of fear. They are going to export their idea of morality on everyone, whether we like it or not. Now we know what fear actually gets us, censored and controlled.

topspeed
11-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Oh man, it gets better.

Now Tony Dungy of the Baltimore Colts feels the ad is racist!!

What the...?

Umm, T.O. is black, Nicolette Sheridan is white. How the hell is that racist?!

America: Chill!!!

dean_martin
11-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Oh man, it gets better.

Now Tony Dungy of the Baltimore Colts feels the ad is racist!!

What the...?

Umm, T.O. is black, Nicolette Sheridan is white. How the hell is that racist?!

America: Chill!!!

I missed the dang MNF intro and first thought, "Oh well, no big deal." Now curiousity has the best of me. Has anyone seen the clip on the web? Where can I see this controversial bit of film?

Resident Loser
11-19-2004, 05:05 AM
...and in typical liberal liberal fashion, anyone who is yet again subjected to a "lowering of the bar" and reacts to it is the problem...yeah, I see that now...

NEWS FLASH!!: None of you seem to realize that a great number of our fellow countrymen would be hard pressed to take two consecutive breaths if they actually had to think about it...everything they see on teevee, or hear on the radio, or read in the papers is the truth , is proper behavior and should be emulated...

Kids see some stupid stunt on some infantile "reality" show, think it's "X-treemly COOL", copy it and die or are left as a veg in the process...Everything from refering to women as "b!tche$" and "ho's" to taking your big ol' SUV through pristine wilderness to do some environmentally-incorrect stump-jumping is good and should be allowed to go unchallenged?

Think again...unless I'm mistaken, this bit aired in family time(and it doesn't really make a diff one way or t'other)...these are the lessons that should be taught? That indiscriminate sexual activity is OK?...That not doing your job to "get a little" is OK? The network is to blame, putting the bottom line ahead of of morality and decency is just plain ol' okee-dokee!

And a BIG P.S. Exhibiting self-control and expecting everyone else to do likewise does not equate to being a panty-waist...going against the sheep-like mentality takes more coconuts than than the average Howard Stern listener can muster...

There is a quote, which I'll paraphrase...nobody ever lost money underestimating the American public...

jimHJJ(...good work guy's...your true colors come a-shinnin' through...)

dean_martin
11-19-2004, 07:58 AM
...and in typical liberal liberal fashion, anyone who is yet again subjected to a "lowering of the bar" and reacts to it is the problem...yeah, I see that now...

NEWS FLASH!!: None of you seem to realize that a great number of our fellow countrymen would be hard pressed to take two consecutive breaths if they actually had to think about it...everything they see on teevee, or hear on the radio, or read in the papers is the truth , is proper behavior and should be emulated...

Kids see some stupid stunt on some infantile "reality" show, think it's "X-treemly COOL", copy it and die or are left as a veg in the process...Everything from refering to women as "b!tche$" and "ho's" to taking your big ol' SUV through pristine wilderness to do some environmentally-incorrect stump-jumping is good and should be allowed to go unchallenged?

Think again...unless I'm mistaken, this bit aired in family time(and it doesn't really make a diff one way or t'other)...these are the lessons that should be taught? That indiscriminate sexual activity is OK?...That not doing your job to "get a little" is OK? The network is to blame, putting the bottom line ahead of of morality and decency is just plain ol' okee-dokee!

And a BIG P.S. Exhibiting self-control and expecting everyone else to do likewise does not equate to being a panty-waist...going against the sheep-like mentality takes more coconuts than than the average Howard Stern listener can muster...

There is a quote, which I'll paraphrase...nobody ever lost money underestimating the American public...

jimHJJ(...good work guy's...your true colors come a-shinnin' through...)

I'm curious as to the makeup of the counter-culture that's going to evolve in light of the majority's morality-based suppression. Will it be underground or in-your-face? Will its main form of expression be music, film, pulp literature, comics, animation, etc.? With the omnicient, ever-present media can there even be an underground movement? If so, will it originate in the inner city or the suburbs, west coast or east coast, or the unlikely south or midwest? What will the age demographic be?

OTOH, maybe the current movement toward regulating morality is a counter to our current culture of debauchery, exploitation and just overhyped crap in general.

Resident Loser
11-19-2004, 08:36 AM
...very few see the "big picture", as trite as that may sound...oh, it's just a little "innocent" this or that...here and there...too uptight, don't get yer bowels in an uproar...well, it ain't the bits'n'pieces, it's just that old adage about the straw and the camel's back...it's constant and pervasive, slowly wheedle-ing it's way into every facet of life...

It's all me, me, me and while we're at it, f*ck y*u and your tired ethics and morality...I'll do what I want, when I want...I'm outside YOUR box...I want it NOW and I want it the way I want it...

No controls, no respect...it's all too easy...and people are just plain stupid and gettin' stoopida every day...and I blame my generation "the Boomers" for all or most of it...

You can choose to live in $h!t or you can call Roto-Rooter...

jimHJJ(...and away go troubles, down the drain...)

11-19-2004, 09:53 AM
I'm curious as to the makeup of the counter-culture that's going to evolve in light of the majority's morality-based suppression. Will it be underground or in-your-face? Will its main form of expression be music, film, pulp literature, comics, animation, etc.? With the omnicient, ever-present media can there even be an underground movement? If so, will it originate in the inner city or the suburbs, west coast or east coast, or the unlikely south or midwest? What will the age demographic be?

OTOH, maybe the current movement toward regulating morality is a counter to our current culture of debauchery, exploitation and just overhyped crap in general.

We are going to see the pendulim swing too far the other direction. We are going to over-legislate morality. At that point a backlash against the religious rights morality push will occur. It has happen before when the moral majority began their push into society. They manipulated, did political blackmail, and got their way, and then folks got tired of their control. And that is what has lead to the free wheeling kind of morality we have now.

The pendulim keeps swinging wildly from one extreme to another, and nobody realizes that the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Resident Loser
11-19-2004, 10:22 AM
...never heard the "pendulum" characterization before...what amazing insight...how original...SNo-ore-z-z-z-z....

jimHJJ(...what other earth-shaking revelations are in the offing?...)

dean_martin
11-19-2004, 11:16 AM
We are going to see the pendulim swing too far the other direction. We are going to over-legislate morality. At that point a backlash against the religious rights morality push will occur. It has happen before when the moral majority began their push into society. They manipulated, did political blackmail, and got their way, and then folks got tired of their control. And that is what has lead to the free wheeling kind of morality we have now.

The pendulim keeps swinging wildly from one extreme to another, and nobody realizes that the answer is somewhere in the middle.

My questions were a little more specific. Often, I think the counter-culture that rejects the mainstream is far more interesting to observe. Based on recent history, I think you can say that artists of some sort lead the way whether it's musicians, authors or whomever. Hippie, Punk, a segment of Hip Hop I think are examples of counter-cultures rejecting the mainstream. The question now is whether morality is the rising and overtaking counter to the hedonism/humanism/materialism (whatever you want to call it) of the mid 90s up to today.

This may be too simplistic, but I think the rise of this assertive morality-based culture can be traced back to the end of the Clinton years, particularly the impeachment proceedings, and it's been snowballing ever since.

11-19-2004, 11:49 AM
...never heard the "pendulum" characterization before...what amazing insight...how original...SNo-ore-z-z-z-z....

jimHJJ(...what other earth-shaking revelations are in the offing?...)

You know, I had the same reaction when I read your comments. So what point are you trying to make in this response?

Resident Loser
11-19-2004, 12:35 PM
...previous comments if you are of a mind to do so instead of providing some more of the bleedin' obvious...or some more tit-for-tat...

Take issue with what I posted...or is it simply easier to take pot-shots at the right-wing lunatc fringe...

You have the weekend(perhaps longer) to come up with a rebuttal...

jimHJJ(...do have a good one...)

11-19-2004, 01:11 PM
...previous comments if you are of a mind to do so instead of providing some more of the bleedin' obvious...or some more tit-for-tat...

Take issue with what I posted...or is it simply easier to take pot-shots at the right-wing lunatc fringe...

You have the weekend(perhaps longer) to come up with a rebuttal...

jimHJJ(...do have a good one...)

I do not need to take a weekend to respond to your post. Resident loser, you need to deal with yourself, you life, your posts, and your business rather than telling me what I should do. If you do not like my comments, fine and tough. Get over it. You however CANNOT tell me how to respond to anything. You are out of bounds here. I will respond whenever, and however I choose. You have that right, and so do I. You worry about RL, I will worry about TT.

It didn't take me all weekend(or longer) to come up with this, I hope it doesn't take you a week to comphrehend it.

11-22-2004, 09:36 AM
...the same tired smokescreen..."Oh, it's your problem deal with it"...

Yes and same old tired response, man I'm bored already.....

That seems to be your(individual AND collective) mantra...you should just post the above quote as an answer to all the posts you choose to "respond" to...pretty much sums up your debate skills...Yeah. I know, I know..."I choose those with whom I deign to debate with"...heard it before and it only proves my point...Even Dino attempted to apply some gentle correction to your tangent...he just has more common sense than to pursue the issue...whereas I don't...

I have a right to choose who I want to respond to, and who I do not. That proves nothing more than I don't like debating with a controlling dictator who tries to tell me how and when to respond.

BTW, morality is legislated on a fairly constant and regular basis, anything else smacks of anarchy.

I disagree.

P.S. If ANYONE is responsible for "...what has lead to the free wheeling kind of morality we have now..." It's good ol' Bubba...if the pres can exhibit the behaviour of a womanizing liar, all bets are off!

That is probably the most stupid and empty headed claim I have ever heard. You mean free wheeling morality began then. Absurd!

jimHJJ(...and jus'fer grins I'll ask again... what IS a "stoogie"?...)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I will not be responding to R losers anymore.

ericl
11-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Check out the name of this thread - Lighten up!

Let's heed Topspeeds request!

Cheers
Eric

Geoffcin
11-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Check out the name of this thread - Lighten up!

Let's heed Topspeeds request!

Cheers
Eric

But after seeing you post here, I was wondering what was up. This thread went off topic pretty fast, but the nastiness displayed was what really shocked me. I'm surprised that Sir T put up with it so long.

karl k
11-22-2004, 08:17 PM

jimHJJ(...good work guy's...your true colors come a-shinnin' through...)Let me see if I can express some as well unless it's too obscene for you! :p

and in typical liberal liberal fashion, anyone who is yet again subjected to a "lowering of the bar" and reacts to it is the problem...

Liberal liberal fashion? Why don't you just say ultra liberal if that's what you mean! You'll sound smarter that way! Society, as it grows, does so in a progressive way... nearly always. Always moving the boundry, pushing the limits. Some will embrace this, some will not. There's generally a balance. When the balance is upset, it is corrected and we move on... but we still progress albeit at a slower rate for awhile. When you stop this progression, you no longer grow as a society. So are you here to stop the growth, or are you here for balance and slower growth.

I, for one, do not consider it "lowering of the bar"... instead I consider it expanding the boundries. Not such a bad thing, IMO.

NEWS FLASH!!: None of you seem to realize that a great number of our fellow countrymen would be hard pressed to take two consecutive breaths if they actually had to think about it...everything they see on teevee, or hear on the radio, or read in the papers is the truth , is proper behavior and should be emulated

You should give others more credit than that. Selling someone short is a very bad thing to do. Does it happen? Sure. Is it a great number? That's up for debate. If you compare the numbers to the total population, you'll find it's a very small number indeed. Once again, making a bigger thing out of it than it is just to get people to feel you and your pain. Not saying you're the only one... just another contributor... to me.

And where are the F*****G PARENTS!!! Where are the role models... OFF AIR!!! Who is the teacher here! TV is for information and entertainment... PERIOD! Parents and teachers are for teaching. If someone is watching TV, and the parents have DONE THEIR JOB, then there is no problem. Don't blame TV for your problems in society! If you people weren't so bent on safety and security, people could afford to create a designated place to "stump jump" but because you require insurance for such a thing to be safe and secure, no one's willing to financially stick out their neck for that. All people want to do is have a little fun. All you seem to want is for people to live just like you! Maybe you should join the club and take your little POS fuel efficient toyota outside the city for a change and see what happens. LIKE ON TV!

Once again, you're implying that TV is teaching! While you're setting here b****ing about what is being watched by millions, kids are asking their parents and their parents are setting them straight. Sounds like a good lesson learned to me. If a child(pre adult really) believes indiscriminate sexual activity is OK, and he/she goes out and has a baby at 15 or gets aids, he/she will learn the hard way. SO WHAT!!! I've learned lots of things the hard way! Sometimes you need that to grow. Take away all the hard lessons, and what have you really learned? I've been late to work so I could get a little. Was it OK? H*LL YA, it was! I was late to work, SO WHAT!!! The world hasn't come to an end yet!(although yours probably just did) Do you really think that more people will tune into football to watch the first 2 min? You really are naive if you think it was for money.

BTW, I don't recall seeing "dokee" in the dictionary... maybe your considerable intellect can tell me... what is a dokee?

Exibiting self control is YOUR deal. Expecting everyone else becomes MY deal! You can fondle your deal all you want... keep your hands off my deal... PANTY-WAIST!

PS. I've got your "coconuts" right here buddy!

karl k
11-22-2004, 08:41 PM
But after seeing you post here, I was wondering what was up. This thread went off topic pretty fast, but the nastiness displayed was what really shocked me. I'm surprised that Sir T put up with it so long.
smarter in his discussions lately. You guy's didn't have anything to do with that... did you? :D Off topic? I wouldn't say that necessarily. Maybe out of context a little. Maybe a little emotional but after all, there is still communication going on and emotion is just another form of that. Terrence will choose to engage or not. How he does determines how his credibility will fair as is with all of us. I for one have enjoyed his participation as I'm sure others have.

JSE
11-23-2004, 08:05 AM
My God!

Just saw Nicolette Sheridan on this last Sunday's episode of Desperate Housewives. Man, age ain't do her any favors. Unless you like the stretched like a well tanned piece of cowhide look.

Is it just me or is she starting to look like Stifler's Mom in American Pie? :confused:

JSE

Resident Loser
11-23-2004, 08:31 AM
"Liberal liberal fashion? Why don't you just say ultra liberal if that's what you mean!"

Strictly an editing and proof-reading malfunction...but if that's all you have, rave on!

"Society, as it grows, does so in a progressive way... nearly always. Always moving the boundry, pushing the limits. Some will embrace this, some will not. There's generally a balance. When the balance is upset, it is corrected and we move on... but we still progress albeit at a slower rate for awhile."

Society?, Growth?..oh, puh-leese...this is not art, this is not science, this does not equate to propagation of the species per se...don't try to make more of it than it is...

"I for one, do not consider it "lowering of the bar"... instead I consider it expanding the boundries. Not such a bad thing, IMO."

And one man's ceiling is another man's floor...one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter...whoop-de-doo...

"You should give others more credit than that. Selling someone short is a very bad thing to do. Does it happen? Sure. Is it a great number? That's up for debate. If you compare the numbers to the total population, you'll find it's a very small number indeed."

Oh, come on! People are ego-centric idiots...you'll see example after example, day after day if you pay attention...

"Once again, making a bigger thing out of it than it is just to get people to feel you and your pain. Not saying you're the only one... just another contributor... to me."

Pain? Who gives a fiddler's f*ck...not me...but, when I see people defending inappropriate behavior by blaming the one's who are complaining about it...I open my mouth...if the defenders of free speech can do so, so can I...

"And where are the F*****G PARENTS!!! Where are the role models... OFF AIR!!! Who is the teacher here!"

Well. lawdy, lawdy...something we agree on...where the he!! are they? Again, big picture...latch-key kids...Why? Single-parent households...Why? My answer...no sense of commitment, no self-control, no morality...everyone doin' their "own thing" or "having it all"...think about it...it's all a big circle fraught with catch-22s...we need two incomes to have two(or more) cars...to live in a bigger house...to have the latest and greatest...and yeah, I know ...there are those who have no choice in the matter...so let's not go there right now...cuz then we'll really go off-track with NAFTA and immigration problems et al...

"TV is for information and entertainment... PERIOD! Parents and teachers are for teaching. If someone is watching TV, and the parents have DONE THEIR JOB, then there is no problem. Don't blame TV for your problems in society!"

Well, if I do I'm in strange company...after all it was the liberal types like the CTW who came down on the Three Stooges(not "Stoogies" BTW) because the over-the top "violence" contained in their films...apparently all the folks who do research on such things, think TV is quite capable of sending wrong messages and teaching improper behavior.

"If you people weren't so bent on safety and security, people could afford to create a designated place to "stump jump" but because you require insurance for such a thing to be safe and secure, no one's willing to financially stick out their neck for that. All people want to do is have a little fun. All you seem to want is for people to live just like you! Maybe you should join the club and take your little POS fuel efficient toyota outside the city for a change and see what happens. LIKE ON TV!"

Hey pal...again look over there...by the forest...it's a tree...There are places to do so, and yeah it does come with a lot of financial baggage...My complaint about off-roading is the TeeVee ads that don't say one blessed thing about the "Tread Lightly" or "Leave No Trace" programs...as a Jeep owner for the last 25 yrs. I see that kind of behavior touted in the ads and I p!$$e$ me off, because A-holes that emulate those antics are the one's responsible for closing the few remaing places that allow me(and others who adhere to those precepts) to go off-road...Do yourself a favor, pick up a copy of "Four Wheeler" or "Jp"...check out THEIR editorial positions...Toyota...don't make me laugh!

"Once again, you're implying that TV is teaching! While you're setting here b****ing about what is being watched by millions, kids are asking their parents and their parents are setting them straight."

But I thought you said "where are the F*****G parents"...one lesson I've learned in life is never to assume that just because you do things in a certain way, everyone does likewise...it's just plain naive...

"If a child(pre adult really) believes indiscriminate sexual activity is OK, and he/she goes out and has a baby at 15 or gets aids, he/she will learn the hard way. SO WHAT!!!"

Man, I don't have any counter to that sort of logic...you only prove my point...

"I've learned lots of things the hard way! Sometimes you need that to grow."

Agreed. The best lessons are the one's learned from one's own mistakes...but here is where we part company:

"I've been late to work so I could get a little. Was it OK? H*LL YA, it was! I was late to work, SO WHAT!!!"

No consequences for you maybe, but...did you leave someone hanging? Did your boss look like a fool cause he couldn't satisfy that customer? Did you hold up the rest of your crew? Did someone less experienced forget to tighten the nut on that part which resulted in a tragedy? That's "SO WHAT"...that's what I mean by self-centered...get it?

"The world hasn't come to an end yet!(although yours probably just did) Do you really think that more people will tune into football to watch the first 2 min? You really are naive if you think it was for money."

It wasn't football they were pimping, it was for that "Housewives" show...viewers=money...I'd cut down on that head-banging if I wuz you...

"BTW, I don't recall seeing "dokee" in the dictionary... maybe your considerable intellect can tell me... what is a dokee?"

Never heard or read the phrase "okee-dokee"...what a sheltered life you have had for someone who claims to be worldly-wise...

"Exibiting self control is YOUR deal. Expecting everyone else becomes MY deal! You can fondle your deal all you want... keep your hands off my deal... PANTY-WAIST! "

Well I see reading comprehension is not your strong suit...what are you about twelve? topspeed used the phrase "namby-pamby panty wastes(sic)"...I didn't call anyone a panty-waist...he did...

"PS. I've got your "coconuts" right here buddy!"

jimHJJ(...I strongly doubt that...)

Resident Loser
11-23-2004, 08:38 AM
...as long as you go with the flow, everything's okee-dokee...

Make a valid point that pops the odd balloon here'n'there and we get a visit from the admin...

jimHJJ(...hey Eric, your bias is showing...)

Resident Loser
11-23-2004, 09:07 AM
...where do you live, in the middle of a Kansas wheat field?

"Off-topic"...topspeed posted the thing as a morality play of sorts...what exactly is "off-topic"?

"I'm surprised that Sir T put up with it so long"...

Oh, you mean the part where he called me a "controlling dictator" and then deleted my response...or maybe it was his statement characterizing my "stupid and empty headed" response...maybe it was my reference to the Ralph Waldo Emerson-era transcendentalists that got his skivvies in a knot...you know what they say, you always destroy the things you can't understand...

jimHJJ(...how do you spell hypocrite...)

topspeed
11-23-2004, 12:33 PM
FWIW, while I rarely understand Jim and agree with him even less, I do agree that "Off Topic" is exactly the place where a discussion of this ilk should take place. Personally, I never thought the topic would become so emotional, but sometimes a little emotion is exactly what we need. Valid points have been made by all parties; perhaps not in the most eloquent language, but valid nonetheless.

karl k
11-23-2004, 02:18 PM
FWIW, while I rarely understand Jim and agree with him even less, I do agree that "Off Topic" is exactly the place where a discussion of this ilk should take place. Personally, I never thought the topic would become so emotional, but sometimes a little emotion is exactly what we need. Valid points have been made by all parties; perhaps not in the most eloquent language, but valid nonetheless.
I try not to blow like that but it was kinda fun though!:D

Here's to lighting up!(I mean lightENing) LOL

Geoffcin
11-23-2004, 04:05 PM

I've got nothing against people taking strong viewpoints. I am also tolerant when it comes to people disagreeing with me. Personal attacks are something that I won't stand for them here, or in any of the forums.

This thread remains open, and anyone can post to it without fear of being personally attacked.

karl k
11-23-2004, 04:44 PM
...where do you live, in the middle of a Kansas wheat field?
You might just be suprised how "nasty" it can get in the middle of a Kansas wheat field!:D

After all, we have ample time and nothing else better to do.

Geoffcin
11-23-2004, 04:53 PM
You might just be suprised how "nasty" it can get in the middle of a Kansas wheat field!:D

After all, we have ample time and nothing else better to do.

HA! Been making crop circles eh??

karl k
11-23-2004, 08:49 PM
No consequences for you maybe, but...did you leave someone hanging? Did your boss look like a fool cause he couldn't satisfy that customer? Did you hold up the rest of your crew? Did someone less experienced forget to tighten the nut on that part which resulted in a tragedy? That's "SO WHAT"...that's what I mean by self-centered...get it?
it was my own greed that was the cause of being late! :D BWAAHHHAAAA! Did I let my workers down? The better question should be "Did I let my WIFE down?" BWAHHAAAHHHAAA!!! Family over the job... there's some morals for ya!!! BWAAHHHAAA!!! Ya dinnot even stand a chance, Jim!!! BWAAHHHAAA!!!

OK, hanging? No, I was there 30 min late... nobody was waiting on me to get started. Nobody ever WAITS on me. Really wasn't anything to do either. H*ll, I actually saved them some money!

...boss? My boss nearly always looks like a fool! We never show him to our customers!

...the crew? I show them the same courtesy as they show me when THEY'RE 30 min late for "no stupid reason" Then I tell them they get to make it up on Saturday... with ME.

...the nut? I have to do that anyway. At the end of every project before it is brought to life for the first time. Otherwise, my neck... not the crews!

**...the company? Way I see it, I saved them 1)money, and 2)the hastle of listening to me ask every five minutes(while they're paying me) "What's next boss?" when I already know the answer is "Go Away... leave me alone" Because I was late, I was in a good mood and therefore my co workers were in a good mood as well, My wife was in a good mood, The work got done and the day' in general, was pleasant for all around me.

Lesson I learned... Your woman is everything and your job, like employees, can be replaced at anytime! There's your morals and values! I don't know of any "good" boss out there that would hang you for that! (every once in a while)

"BTW, I don't recall seeing "dokee" in the dictionary... maybe your considerable intellect can tell me... what is a dokee?"
Never heard or read the phrase "okee-dokee"...what a sheltered life you have had for someone who claims to be worldly-wise...
Sure I've heard it... never read it. But you still haven't told me what it is! I understand what okee is, but to this day, after hearing everybody say it, I still have yet to find someone who can tell me what a "dokee" is.

:cool:

** bonus track

karl k
11-23-2004, 08:56 PM
HA! Been making crop circles eh?? Sometimes the wheat is genetically enhanced!;)

Other times it's more fun to invite the two worst enemies to a field party and get them drunk before we introduce them to each other!:D

Both can get pretty nasty.

Resident Loser
11-24-2004, 06:34 AM
...do you understand the concept of "rhetorical"?

Responsibility takes precedence over self-indulgence...family first? Family first means something entirely different, at least to me...maybe takin' someone to the hospital or something like that...gettin' yer rocks off? That don't cut it.

Your attitude(and that of the rest of your fellow workers) is symptomatic of the problem with this country...so laugh yer @$$ off...fer now...

As far as "okee-dokee"...it's an idiom, a turn of phrase...maybe Cockney rhyming slang?

And just a bit more re: "stump jumpin'"...the ones instrumental in closing down public lands for ORVs are ususally the tree-huggin', environmentalist, vegan, PETA-types...look closely and I think you'll find most if not all are of a liberal(social AND political) "free-spirit" bent who over-react to the antics of the beer-swillin', wheatfield red-necks who leave their beer cans and trash, erode the trails or even blaze new ones, destroying the environment in the process.

jimHJJ(...gotta' look at the "big picture"...)

P.S. The "Kansas" ref wasn't aimed at you...if you look via the alternate displays, you'll see who it was directed at...perhaps even he will...metaphorically insulated from the real world with regard to "nastiness"...

[

Resident Loser
11-24-2004, 06:53 AM
...??????...where?...who?...

The only thing one could remotely construe as "personal" was offerered by the one now conspicuous by his absence...

jimHJJ(...tsk, tsk...)

karl k
11-25-2004, 04:47 PM
...do you understand the concept of "rhetorical"?

Responsibility takes precedence over self-indulgence...family first? Family first means something entirely different, at least to me...maybe takin' someone to the hospital or something like that...gettin' yer rocks off? That don't cut it.

Your attitude(and that of the rest of your fellow workers) is symptomatic of the problem with this country...so laugh yer @$$ off...fer now...

As far as "okee-dokee"...it's an idiom, a turn of phrase...maybe Cockney rhyming slang?

And just a bit more re: "stump jumpin'"...the ones instrumental in closing down public lands for ORVs are ususally the tree-huggin', environmentalist, vegan, PETA-types...look closely and I think you'll find most if not all are of a liberal(social AND political) "free-spirit" bent who over-react to the antics of the beer-swillin', wheatfield red-necks who leave their beer cans and trash, erode the trails or even blaze new ones, destroying the environment in the process.

jimHJJ(...gotta' look at the "big picture"...)

P.S. The "Kansas" ref wasn't aimed at you...if you look via the alternate displays, you'll see who it was directed at...perhaps even he will...metaphorically insulated from the real world with regard to "nastiness"...

[Still, you are, in the metaphor , selling someone(Kansas residents) short. Just pointing out the metaphor used was in error by nature. Perhaps it would be better to compare nastiness with 1700's or some other prior "time".

No harm, no foul. I had fun! :D