Tuesday Listening Thread...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Listening Thread......

audiobill
11-16-2004, 04:07 AM
Let's get this thread going early today: 6:55 a.m., here in Ontari-ario.

Constantines - Shine A Light

The Coral - Magic and Medicine ....... not as good as their debut album imho

Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers........ adore the variety on this one

Laibach - New Konservatiw......... worst album I've listened to all year. I read a glowing review of this band and I picked it up on a whim. Yuck!!

Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood

Indigo Girls - All That We Let In........ very impressive IG CD....digging it.

Appleseed Cast - Low Level Own v.1

Mastodon - Leviathan .........wow .........what a great Loud masterpiece

Puninsher By Jar - another great Loud masterpiece, courtesy of Mason - tnx bud

Alrighty then ............what have you been listening to??
Bill

tentoze
11-16-2004, 05:31 AM
New-to-me:
Robyn Hitchcock ~ Spooked ~ I have a coupla Egyptians lp's that I never really listened to very much. This is a good chilly night record- dark, a little creaky, acoustic-based. Does anyone else wish his voice didn't come so close to sounding like Peter Noone?

Joseph Arthur ~ Redemption's Song ~ A used pick-up. More sparsely populated than Our Shadows..., but distinctive. I like.

Still in heavy rotation are Twilight Singers, Mark Lanegan Band, new Joseph Arthur, Castanets.

DarrenH
11-16-2004, 06:54 AM
Was in the mood for some singer/songwriter stuff.

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection. Okay, so Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics but this is EJ's best album imo and what amazes me is that not one song made it on the original greatest hits vol l or vol 2 albums. Not one. Every song is killer no filler.

Elton John - Madman Across The Water. EJ's second best album. I just love the title track and Indian Sunset. Another all killer no filler album.

Bill Miller - Ghostdance. German father, American Indian mother. Bill incorporates his American Indian heritage into his music. This is by far his best album.

Bill Miller - Spirit Rain. His 2002 release.

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story. Rod didn't write these tunes but so what. Just a great, great album.

Dan Fogelberg - The Innocent Age. Not much talk around here of Fogelberg and there's probably a good reason for that. Anyway, I like him, and have for years. This is his best album imo although I really dig Phoenix as well.

Gordon Lightfoot - The Complete Greatest Hits. Being a casual fan this comp works very well for me.

Richard and Linda Thompson - The Best of Richard and Linda: The Island Years. Includes music from his first few solo albums after he left Fairport Convention. Essential British folk music.

Some other things:

Cream - Strange Brew: The Very Best of Cream

Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday Of Life. The new remaster. Not my favorite PTree album by any means but is does have some strong points. Trouble is, it has lots of low points to the point of being rather boring at times. Oh well.

Brave - Searching For The Sun.

Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed. Classic stuff.

Gov't Mule - Deja Voodoo

Darren

Jim Clark
11-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Had a great opportunity to listen to all kinds of new stuff, some fantastic, some leaving me cold.

Scissor Sisters-Is this ever bizarre. Too varied to pigeonhole, file under eclectic mix. Brief examples
Track one "Laura" has a similar piano bar aesthetic to Fiery Furnaces
Track Two, "Take Your Mama" sounds a lot like a Billy Joel or Elton John track
Track Three, "Comfortably Numb" takes the track and makes it unrecognizeable and sounds very similar to the Electric Six. While track 10 "Can't Get Enough" is a straight forward synthpop anthem which would be right at home on an Iris album. That's just four tracks out of 16.

Radio 4-New Song & Dance: First listen seems to me to show a lack of whatever it is that makes Interpol so enjoyable for me. Seems shallow and unengaging.

Wolf Eyes-Burned Mind Incredibly dark electro industrial. Pick a song and it would be at home on a Halloween comp would have been great to follow up the Throbbing Gristle track I used with one of these . I'd have gone with either "Stabbed In The Face" or the title track.

The Books - Food For Thought. Samples, guitars, electronica. This 2001 release is a great listen along the lines of Neon Golden.

Helio Sequence- Probably what you'd expect from a indie pop/electronica band on Subpop records. Some great tracks and at times beautifully melodic. Reviewed as the weakest of their three albums leaves me wanting to hear at least one of the earlier two.

Dogs Die In Hot Cars- Please Describe Yourself From the poppier side of XTC, but from XTC none the less. The delivery isn't as urgent or emphatic as the Futureheads but they certainly break it up more. A couple of great tracks but I can't see even XTC fans hanging their hats on this one for too long. My guess is any buzz will be short lived.

Fiery Furnaces Gallowsbird Bark. Didn't care a whole lot for Blueberry Boat but consider this one great and superior in everyway. Song structures are similar but the almost freakishly bizarre implementation seems to work better for me here. Maybe it's more noticeable guitars or programming. Maybe it's as simple as I hear that Devo influence Stone wrote about in his review of their live show.

Deerhoof-Milkman One listen and I know why this is an indie band, and destined to remain that way forever.

Von Bondies-Pawn Shoppe Heart. I guess most lump them in with the White Stripes but I don't care for the White Stripes and was really digging this a lot. Pretty darn solid rock and roll record that I will be listening often this week.

U2-How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Really glad I heard this. Really, really glad I didn't buy it. Maybe it's just me but on the few tracks that take off, and I don't think there's many of them, you can just visualize what rock star poses bono is striking. Maybe it's just that the Ipod commercials didn't do them any favors. This was the smelliest album I listened to last week.

Belle And Sebastian-Tiger Milk. My first foray into this band. I liked what I heard.

As always, there was more but I'm tired of typing.

jc

Troy
11-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Buncha new stuff.

Residents- Petting Zoo. Just got this compilation disc, my first Residents album. I want to make music like this. Been working my towards that goal without even realizing it.

Happy the Man- The Muse Awakens. Seminal 70s fusion band released their first album in like 25 years. This is liter than the older albums, but they still have the vibe that sounds like a cross between Brand X and Camel.

Frank Zappa- The Grand Wazoo. First time for this one too. I don't dig it. Too jammy, too free jazz.

An Evening with Petrucci and Rudess. Dream Theater guitar and keys guys do live acoustic set. Frankly, I'd like to see them slow it down more. Master technitions, but the songs lack humanity and warmth.

Echolyn- Cowboy Poems Free. Not as good as "As the World", but still solid and complex symph prog. I suspect it will be a grower like all their other albums.

Karda Estra-Alternate History. Super arty modren classical combining classical instruments with rock instruments. Lacks the tempo and general oomph of Isildurs Bane or Keneally's Metropole album. Too precious.

IQ- Dark Matter. Another solid ersatz 1975 Genesis album from these guys.

Eno- Taking Tiger Mountain
The Futureheads
Police- Zenyatta Mondatta

Mr MidFi
11-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Only a few notable listens this week, as I've been extra-busy at work.

U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
As I posted previously, WXRT in Chicago lost its freakin mind and played this one almost continuously for an entire day...over and over and over. I listened twice, and my conclusion is this: It's a good, radio-friendly, hard-pop album. The sort of thing that makes an impression, but will probably reach a point of diminishing returns rather quickly. As far as the marketing hype is concerned, well, I try to not let that influence my listening. But yes, as Jim noted, you can envision the rock-star stage poses for each song. If you are so inclined.

David Bowie - Reality Tour (DVD)
I'm liking this one the more I hear it (and watch it). It's a good introduction to a lot of his stuff from the past 20 years that I haven't paid that much attention to, plus a bunch of old favorites mixed in for good measure. Spirited performances, enthusiastic crowd, decent stereo mix, and a bargain price. Why not?

Rush - 2112 (Remaster)
You know what? I don't like this one as much as the other "classic" Rush albums. Maybe it's just me, but this is half the record that Moving Pix is.

Los Lobos - Ride This
Covers albums always tend to fade on me, and this is no exception. But the Tom Waits and Richard Thompson covers are still worth the price of admission.

Wilco - Summerteeth
There's a lot to like here, but the album trails off a bit towards the end. Still an excellent listen, though.

Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
The songs I like, I'm liking even more. The few I don't, I'm liking even less. And that 10-minute droning sound is farking unforgiveable.

OK, back to work for me.

Davey
11-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Just a bunch of the usual stuff from past and present that I've already talked about, but they're all good :)

Gang of Four - Entertainment!
The Black Heart Procession - Amore del Tropico
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The United States of America
The Court & Spark - Witch Season
Snow Patrol - Final Straw (just got this a couple days ago so not sure about it yet)
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Vetiver
The Flaming Stars - Sunset & Void
The Futureheads
Giant Sand - Is All Over The Map

Nothing really on the horizon except for the new Flaming Stars Named And Shamed that I have on order. I just heard there's a new Hood album coming in January and that's great news to me. Love love love Cold House. Been a long time. Hopefully some new Notwist coming too. Got a feeling 2005 will be big.

Mike
11-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Razorlight - Up All Night, talk about fun records now this is fun rock 'n' roll, bass/drum driven and great vocals, good stuff.

Kings Of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak, I guess you either love or loathe them but I like this better than the first.

Embrace - Out Of Nothing, has a James/U2/brit pop feel about it, it could do with a few more upbeat tracks but pretty good all the same IMO.

Libertines - Libertines, destined to be a classic if only cos it might be there last. My favourite track What Katy Did has a great jaunty British summer seaside feel to it. Soundwise it's ok for me a tad rich in the bass but I can live with it unlike The Legends album which has no bass.

Magnet - On Your Side, courtesy of a board member it blends folk sounds with strings and rock and it's a goodie.

Others included

Marjorie Fair - Self Help Serenade
Ray Lamotagne - Trouble
West Indian Girl, Patricia Barber, Elvis Costello, Taj Mahal

Cheers
Mike

Dusty Chalk
11-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus -- easily my favourite album by this guy so far (so far==that I've heard). Blows last year's release out of the water.

Rob Dougan, Furious Angels -- this guy really likes to suffer his vocals, and I dig that. Plus, it's got kind of a unique sound to it -- orchestra and techno beats. I know I'm putting at least two tracks on upcoming comps.

em:t0004 -- em:t is back, yay! Ambient techno

Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez, A Manual Dexterity (soundtrack volume one) -- the guy from Mars Volta, could be a bunch of Mars Volta outtakes. Recommended if De-Loused in the Comatorium wasn't enough for you (also check out the Tremulant EP).

Dirty Three, She Has No Strings Apollo -- definitely digging these guys, I'm going to have to find that In The Fishtank disk they did, will probably be my favourite Low disk. Neo-classical/new instrumentalism

Twine -- electronica, nicely dark and atmospheric. Really dig track 5. And no, I did not get it for the cover.

Philip Glass, The Fog Of War -- it's what you would expect if you've heard his other soundtracks.

Ghost, Hypnotic Underworld -- definitely making my year-end list. 1960's/1970's psychedelia.

Solvent, Apples & Synthesizers -- bubbly synth-pop from Ghostly.

Juno Reactor, Labyrinth -- Blue Man Group-ish percussion for the synthpop/industrial/EBM set. Heavy on the cliche's and melodrama, which is fine by me.

Sasha Lazard, The Myth of Red -- meh. Trip-hop-py. Enjoyable enough, but the competition this week is fierce.

Count Zero, Robots Anonymous -- zany proggy. What I picture as "Troy music", in the Zappa/Kenneally/BFD/TMBG vein.

Midwest Product, World Series of Love -- meh, not enough "there" there.

A comp from my friend Loki -- quite a few tracks on here I like -- did you know that Nancy Sinatra did her last album with members of Calexico? I'm going to have to pick that one up. And yes, he put another Tom Waits track on there. Funny little cover of White Wedding by Rowland Howard (in the style of Jim White/Joseph Arthur/et al). Snakefarm's "Black Girl" stands out, as does Donovan's "Love Floats".

CRSVMe from JC -- dig it. And I have to argue with the contention about the title. CRS stands for "Current Rotation Sampler", which is exactly what this is. I think you're confusing it with RRS, a "Rave Recordings Sampler", which was more of a communal thing. Definitely dig the synthpop tracks, and even some of the more guitarsy ones.

Matthew Dear, Backstroke -- meh, you can dance to it, nice grooves here and there, but I'm not sure it's pure listening material. I might consider some tracks to work out to...erm...to which to work out...erm...still ending with a preposition there...screw it...

Dykehouse, Midrange -- although still as listenable as it was upon first listen, I think this one is slowly falling its way down my year-end list towards the bottom, if not off. The only problem is, all the songs are a bit samey. Otherwise it's right up there with M83 in terms of cool use of synthesizers (although without the blissful, "better than sex" aspect).

Cut Copy, Bright Like Neon Love -- very cool synthpop. Recommended for fans of the electroclash movement.

The Fever, Red Bedroom -- melodic no-wave, not as good as the first EP, but still quite enjoyable and a keeper. Not as thrashy as they come, which is a good thing, as I get quite annoyed at that "trying to sound barely in control, but really out of control" lack of virtuosity.

Aeroc, Viscous Solid -- very good, not as dark as Twine.

Secret Chiefs 3, Book of Horizons -- I'm thinking Mad Rhetorick might like this, quite varied, heavy as death sometimes (with the associated vocals, too), interspersed with a lot of variety (including Drum & Bass!), which makes sense, since this is the drummer from Mr. Bungle.

Miss Kittin, I.com -- a serious contender for year-end list, this is so good. The only downside is her serious lack of grasp of the English language on the first couple of tracks, but I guess fans of hers already expect this. Not electroclash at all, very contemporary electronica.

Tanakh -- delightful psychedelic alienware.

Merzbow, Merzbird -- more beat-oriented noise from the master of noise, although still not as good as K.K. Null (at least, in my book).

Neurosis, Eye of the Storm -- slow as contemplation, heavy as a suicide note, sparse (at times) as the grasslands, dense (at others) as the forest. Definitely making my year-end list. Think somewhere between Shape Of Despair and Swans. Or perhaps Joy Division without the synthesizers (and, of course, a different vocalist -- slightly more screamy).

Lotus Eaters -- a Dead Can Dance tribute, quite good, one of the better ones (tributes), ever.

Legends disk -- dagnabit, that was so long ago, I don't even remember my impressions of it, I'm going to have to listen to it again.

NP: Dresden Dolls, A is for Accident (live album) -- these guys are so good, definitely making my year-end list. Kind of like a harder Tori Amos.

Jim Clark
11-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Just a bunch of the usual stuff from past and present that I've already talked about, but they're all good :)

Snow Patrol - Final Straw (just got this a couple days ago so not sure about it yet)

My sides hurt! Stop it. You aren't playing fair! Ya know I'd be willing to bet you that someone you know would have covered you on this one seeing how it was a gamble, even though it can be had for 6.99. (I got your winky, right here)

FWIW, when I bought that SP album it was down to that of Keane, both were dirt cheap. I liked this cover better. Played it, and didn't think much of it. It probably sat on the shelf for at least two weeks, maybe more. I was kicking myself for spending the money and not getting anything at all out of it and figured I better play it at least a few more times. Somewhere along the line I really started liking it although I'm not sure I recall when. I mention this only since Mike had a very similar reaction to the album. Certainly doesn't mean that you will ever like it a single bit. I can't wait to read the comments if it continues to fail you.

jc

Jim Clark
11-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Juno Reactor, Labyrinth -- Blue Man Group-ish percussion for the synthpop/industrial/EBM set. Heavy on the cliche's and melodrama, which is fine by me.

CRSVMe from JC -- dig it. And I have to argue with the contention about the title. CRS stands for "Current Rotation Sampler", which is exactly what this is. I think you're confusing it with RRS, a "Rave Recordings Sampler", which was more of a communal thing. Definitely dig the synthpop tracks, and even some of the more guitarsy ones.

Cut Copy, Bright Like Neon Love -- very cool synthpop. Recommended for fans of the electroclash movement.

T

Miss Kittin, I.com -- a serious contender for year-end list, this is so good. The only downside is her serious lack of grasp of the English language on the first couple of tracks, but I guess fans of hers already expect this. Not electroclash at all, very contemporary electronica.

Legends disk -- dagnabit, that was so long ago, I don't even remember my impressions of it, I'm going to have to listen to it again.

NP: Dresden Dolls, A is for Accident (live album) -- these guys are so good, definitely making my year-end list. Kind of like a harder Tori Amos.

I think I'm going to have to get that Cut Copy album. KEXPMF used a track on a comp she made for me and I really liked it a lot. Your comments pretty much solidify it for me. I'd buy it today if somebody, anybody, in KC stocked such things.

Also going to have to look at that Miss Kitten album again. I actually had that one in my hands a couple of weeks ago at a local Borders. Scanned it into the music listening station and only liked about 1/4 of the snippets. But they are only snippets after all so I guess I should reconsider that one.

Also had that Juno Reactor in hand, not sure why I put it back down. Oh, yeah, I was at Borders again and didn't want to pay 20 bucks for it! I think I only had one 25% off coupon at the time and used it for the Legends disc.

Thanks,
jc

Davey
11-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Certainly doesn't mean that you will ever like it a single bit. I can't wait to read the comments if it continues to fail you.
Actually I said that I like the songs that I had heard. You have a tendency to exaggerate the negativity in what people say about music you like. I did jokingly call it and the Keane album bland over at Rocky Road, but hopefully I used enough winkies and I did relate the comment to the Futureheads review at PopMatters. I haven't really listened to the whol thing yet except as background but can't imagine that I'll dislike it. I just don't really expect it to be one of my favorites like it seems to be with so many people over there at Rocky Road since neither of the songs on your comp really knocked me out. But I thought that it would be worth a few bucks to check it out further since so many seem to love it. That's all ;)

Dusty Chalk
11-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Oh, yeah, I was at Borders again and didn't want to pay 20 bucks for it!Oh, man, can I ever relate. Too many of the albums I want are only stocked at the "deep catalog" stores -- Tower, Borders, B&N, etc. -- and since I don't get an employee discount at any of them, I have to really use those coupons. Borders had a 4 for the price of 3 sale a while ago, and I went apesnot on them. But yeah, there ya go.

Jim Clark
11-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Actually I said that I like the songs that I had heard. You have a tendency to exaggerate the negativity in what people say about music you like. I did jokingly call it and the Keane album bland over at Rocky Road, but hopefully I used enough winkies and I did relate the comment to the Futureheads review at PopMatters. I haven't really listened to the whol thing yet except as background but can't imagine that I'll dislike it. I just don't really expect it to be one of my favorites like it seems to be with so many people over there at Rocky Road since neither of the songs on your comp really knocked me out. But I thought that it would be worth a few bucks to check it out further since so many seem to love it. That's all ;)

I guess that's something I need to work on. Didn't think I was being negative, seemed like a legitimate question based on some of your comments like "wimpy", "bland", "too conventional" and the Daffy Duck world remark. After posts like that I defintely got the impression that you didn't like and yes I did see the winkies . Perhaps you can see how one might get the wrong impression after 4 similar posts? Of course you did at one point say that you loved the first SP track on the comp. It's all too confusing for my simplistic little mind. In the end, much ado about nothing.

jc

Troy
11-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Count Zero, Robots Anonymous -- zany proggy. What I picture as "Troy music", in the Zappa/Kenneally/BFD/TMBG vein.

You got me to bite. The AMG review said it was more "weirdass rap-rock-y". Lotsa samples. You sure I'd like it?

MasterCylinder
11-16-2004, 01:27 PM
TROY'S (succinct) review of the Petrucci & Rudess CD is right on...........I bought it hoping for some "pretty vituosity"...........instead, you get some killer rock fills going on occassion. If I wanted Dream Theater..................well, you know.
I've been told that Petrucci actually holds back for Dream Theater...........imagine !

I also agree with the assessment of Dark Matter from IQ.

Dusty Chalk
11-16-2004, 01:41 PM
You got me to bite. The AMG review said it was more "weirdass rap-rock-y". Lotsa samples. You sure I'd like it?Of course I'm not sure -- I've been wrong (especially with you) too many times for me to feel confident in your predictability. Try the samples on their website: link (http://www.count-zero.com/)

See, also, PM, or e-me.

Also, I like Affluenza better.

ForeverAutumn
11-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Dan Fogelberg - The Innocent Age. Not much talk around here of Fogelberg and there's probably a good reason for that. Anyway, I like him, and have for years. This is his best album imo although I really dig Phoenix as well.

These two disks get a lot of play in my house. I especially like The Innocent Age. Although I must admit that I'm pretty tired of Same Old Lang Syne and Hard to Say. But I never tire of The Sand and The Foam. I love that song!

As for my listening enjoyment this week...

Lots of Supertramp...
Even In The Quietest Moments
Crime of the Century
Crisis? What Crisis?
Famous Last Words
I'm thinking that Crime of the Century is their very best disk.

I gave the Snow Patrol disk a couple of spins. I've heard the whole thing and I like it. ;)

Otherwise lots of the same from previous weeks.

I've got a pile of stuff sitting here from Finch, Audiobill and Jar that I haven't listened to yet and hope to get to this week. Thanks you guys!!!

Davey
11-16-2004, 06:29 PM
I gave the Snow Patrol disk a couple of spins. I've heard the whole thing and I like it. ;)
Troublemaker....but is it better than the Futureheads or not? That's the <i>real</i> question ;)

Supertramp rules! At least based on the two songs I've actually heard.

Hehehe, I remember giving my little sister the Crisis? What Crisis? LP one Christmas. Didn't get to hear it myself until much later. I do still have a copy of that and Even In The Quietest Moments on LP but no CDs. Have to get a comp or something one of these days...except I'm usually disappointed when I try to rekindle the spark I had for some of those bands when I was young....oh well, there's always the Futureheads! :)

ForeverAutumn
11-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Troublemaker....but is it better than the Futureheads or not? That's the <i>real</i> question ;)

Hmmm. Based on not having heard any Futureheads songs, but having read one review...I would have to say that Snow Patrol is definately the better band. That Futureheads disk sucks.

:D

mad rhetorik
11-17-2004, 07:08 AM
Secret Chiefs 3, Book of Horizons -- I'm thinking Mad Rhetorik might like this, quite varied, heavy as death sometimes (with the associated vocals, too), interspersed with a lot of variety (including Drum & Bass!), which makes sense, since this is the drummer from Mr. Bungle.

Neurosis, Eye of the Storm -- slow as contemplation, heavy as a suicide note, sparse (at times) as the grasslands, dense (at others) as the forest. Definitely making my year-end list. Think somewhere between Shape Of Despair and Swans. Or perhaps Joy Division without the synthesizers (and, of course, a different vocalist -- slightly more screamy).

Hmm...consider my interest piqued. I've heard good things about Secret Chiefs 3 (like Mr. Bungle except mostly instrumental), but haven't heard 'em yet. Yes, it's Trey Spruance's baby.

As far as Neurosis is concerned, I've been on the lookout for <b>Through Silver In Blood</b> or <b>Times Of Grace</b> for a while. Fans tell me that <b>Eye Of The Storm</b> is a big departure from the sound of those albums. Much less heavy, less screamy, more brooding and atmospheric. Still, anything with that Swans or Joy Division pitch-black suicidal vibe is sure to hook me.

Check your PM shortly.

Davey
11-17-2004, 07:48 AM
Ray Lamotagne - Trouble
I know you've been talking that one up a bit lately Mike, but did you see yet that it also made the top 15 at Uncut this year in their year end list?

Uncut Albums of the Year

1. Brian Wilson - Smile
2. Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
3. Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose
4. Richmond Fontaine - Post To Wire
5. Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 6: Live 1964 Concert At Philharmonic Hall
6. Mark Lanegan Band - Bubblegum
7. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
8. Elliott Smith - From A Basement On The Hill
9. American Music Club - Love Songs For Patriots
10. Franz Ferdinand
11. Tom Waits - Real Gone
12. Kanye West - The College Dropout
13. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus
14. Ray Lamontagne - Trouble
15. Junior Boys - Last Exit
16. R.E.M. - Around The Sun
17. Leonard Cohen - Dear Heather
18. N*E*R*D - Fly Or Die
19. Todd Rundgren - Liars
20. Lambchop - Aw Cmon/No You Cmon
21. Scissor Sistors
22. The Libertines
23. Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South
24. Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans
25. Dizzee Rascal - Showtime
26. Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing In The Hands
27. The Blue Nile - High
28. Laura Veirs - Carbon Glacier
29. Steve Earle - The Revolution Starts Now
30. Micah P. Hinson & The Gospel Of Progress
31. Jesse Malin - The Heat
32. The Dears - No Cities Left
33. Blanche - If We Can't Trust The Doctors...
34. Elvis Costello & The Imposters - The Delivery Man
35. U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
36. TV On The Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
37. Jim White - Drill A Hole In That Substrate And Tell Me What You See
38. The Czars - Goodbye
39. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
40. Interpol - Antics
41. Bjork - Medulla
42. Giant Sand - Is All Over...The Map
43. Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Greatest Palace Music
44. Jonathan Richman - Not So Much To be Loved As To Love
45. Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
46. Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
47. The Cure
48. Mylo - Destroy Rock & Roll
49. Andrew Morgan - Misadventures In Radiology
50. Sondre Lerche - Two Way Monologue
51. Ella Guru - The First Album
52. Kevin Tihista's Red Terror - Wake Up Captain
53. Paul Westerberg - Folker
54. Marianne Faithful - Before The Poison
55. Ed Harcourt - Strangers
56. The Thrills - Let's Bottle Bohemia
57. Lewis Taylor - The Lost Album
58. Air - Talkie Walkie
59. The Killers - Hot Fuss
60. Polly Paulusma - Scissors in My Pocket
61. The Delays - Faded Seaside Glamour
62. Fennesz - Venice
63. Phoenix - Alphabetical
64. Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
65. Iron & Wine - My Endless Numbered Days
66. David Byrne - Grown Backwards
67. Felix Da Housecat - Devin Dazzle And The Neon Fever
68. Ariel Pink - The Doldrums
69. The Concretes
70. A Girl Called Eddy

Pat D
11-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Mendelssohn, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Complete Incidental Music. Andre Previn, London Symphony Orchestra. Angel LP S-37268.

Leopold Mozart, Sinfonia de Caccia, etc. Donald Armstrong, New Zealand Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.553347. This was by Mozart's daddy.

Rachmaninoff, Isle of the Dead. Jascha Horenstein, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. On Chesky CD2.

Rachmaninoff, Isle of the Dead. Fritz Reiner, Chicago Symphony Orchestra. On The Reiner Sound, RCA 09026-61250-2.

Mussorgsky, arranged Ravel, Pictures at an Exhibition. Reiner, CSO. On RCA 09026-61958-2. This is one of the classic recordings ot the Ravel orchestration.

Haydn, Trumpet and Horn Concertos. John Wallace, trumpet; Michael Thompson, horn; Christopher Warren-Green, Philharmonia Orchestra. Nimbus NIM 5010.

Handel, Messiah. Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Chorus. Telarc CD-80093-2.

Diana Krall, Love Scenes.

The Clancy Brothers Greatest Hits. Vanguard VCD 53/54.

The Best of Flanders & Swann, A Transport of Delight. Comedy material. EMI 7243 8 29399 2 4.

Sir John Gielgud reads Alice in Wonderland, Abridged with musical extracts from Mendelssohn's String Symphonies with William Boughton conducting the English String Orchestra. Nimbus NI 5046 and 5047.

Slosh
11-17-2004, 01:36 PM
I know you've been talking that one up a bit lately Mike, but did you see yet that it also made the top 15 at Uncut this year in their year end list?

Uncut Albums of the Year

39. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

That was on my list too, last year.

Well, at least they got that Jim White album title right.

NP: The Arcade Fire - Funeral (meh :rolleyes: )

Stone
11-17-2004, 01:50 PM
That was on my list too, last year.

I've heard it wasn't released in the UK until this year, thus the inclusion on the list.

Slosh
11-17-2004, 01:58 PM
I've heard it wasn't released in the UK until this year, thus the inclusion on the list.

I didn't hear all of Good Morning, Spider until this year so perhaps I'll put it on my 2004 list ;)

Stone
11-17-2004, 02:07 PM
I didn't hear all of Good Morning, Spider until this year so perhaps I'll put it on my 2004 list ;)

Hey, I'm just the messenger. I don't think SMiLE or Out of the Shadow will be on my year end list, due to my very stringent (read: anal) rules. :)

Slosh
11-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Hey, I'm just the messenger. I don't think Out of the Shadow will be on my year end list, due to my very stringent (read: anal) rules. :)

The back of the LP says 2004, or was it just released by Sub Pop in 2004? I never read that it was previously released on another label and if so that's news to me and I'm pleading ignorance so I'm definitely using a song or two on my YEC. :)

Stone
11-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Self-released in very limited supply in 2003. Re-released by Sub Pop in 2004.

Slosh
11-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Self-released in very limited supply in 2003. Re-released by Sub Pop in 2004.

Oh. There goes my ignorance :(

My favorite 2004 release by far is Inches but that ol' A.R. thing will prevent it from making my list.

Yeah, I've got issues.

rufus
11-17-2004, 07:43 PM
i've got a 120gb hard drive full of live shows that i've gotten over the past year, and haven't gotten around to burning yet, so i decided to free up a little space today. so i listened to three shows that i burned, but haven't deleted yet til i had a chance to listen to them.

1. talking heads, stardust ballroom, las vegas, 9/29/79

2. new order, glastonbury, 6/20/1981

3. U2, barcelona, 9/13/1997

then i burned two more new order shows, from sydney aus, and tolworth eng., which took a while, cause they needed a little bit of editing work to fix a few problems. man, cool edit pro is so handy for that stuff.

for anyone that's read the greg kot book about wilco, next up to burn is the jeff tweedy show with glenn kotche that he writes so glowingly about. i can't wait to hear that.