Yamaha RXv1400 Receiver heats up and shuts off [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RXv1400 Receiver heats up and shuts off

Bala
11-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Got the system up and running over the weekend. When I crank up the volume the receiver heats up pretty hot and shuts off (feature?). The receiver is in a audio rack with all sides closed. I tried cutting a hole the size of the Recv. on the back side of the cabinet and also tried to keep the door open but it doesn't help. I guess it needs more ventilation. Any suggestions on fans or other types of ventilation?

Regards

PAT.P
11-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Got the system up and running over the weekend. When I crank up the volume the receiver heats up pretty hot and shuts off (feature?). The receiver is in a audio rack with all sides closed. I tried cutting a hole the size of the Recv. on the back side of the cabinet and also tried to keep the door open but it doesn't help. I guess it needs more ventilation. Any suggestions on fans or other types of ventilation?

Regards
__________________________________________________ ________________________ How much space do you have on top of receiver (on the inside ) at least 4 to 6 inch? Did you try it on the outside of oudio rack ? What kind of speaker are you using ,is receiver set for them(4 ohm ,6 ,8 )? As for fan just one that goes on desk should do and plug it in back of receiver each time receiver goes on it will be activated .Pat.P

Eric Z
11-15-2004, 11:04 AM
It may be something other than an overheating issue. How long does it take to shut off? Is it a few minutes or just seconds? I recommend calling Yamaha directly with your issue, or the retailer where you bought it. I have the 5760 and it get warm, but never shuts down like yours- mine is in an entertainment center where it is not in a toally open space (the front is only open). I talked with the technician at my Yamaha dealer and he said when he works on a Yamaha receiver, it's rarely for overheating.

Maybe try this to trouble shoot a bit- take the receiver out and place it on an end table or something like that. Then see if it automatically shut down. Just a thought.

Good luck!
EZ

Ryanm
11-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Hehe, my 5760 shut off on me over the weekend, but I'm thinking it's a wire issue. I cranked it up to 2dB and was wondering how loud it would go when it suddenly shut off. I turned it back on, and turned the dial down and it was fine. I think my issue with it shutting down might have been the 18 gage wire I was forced to use for my speakers, until radioshack gets some 12 gage in stock. In the small area I am using it, 2 dB (volume starts out at -80dB) is almost intollerably loud, so I haven't pushed it that hard since the first time. I might crank it up after i get brand new wire and new front channels and see how it does then. But so far it's an amazing piece of equipment.

Woochifer
11-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Hehe, my 5760 shut off on me over the weekend, but I'm thinking it's a wire issue. I cranked it up to 2dB and was wondering how loud it would go when it suddenly shut off. I turned it back on, and turned the dial down and it was fine. I think my issue with it shutting down might have been the 18 gage wire I was forced to use for my speakers, until radioshack gets some 12 gage in stock. In the small area I am using it, 2 dB (volume starts out at -80dB) is almost intollerably loud, so I haven't pushed it that hard since the first time. I might crank it up after i get brand new wire and new front channels and see how it does then. But so far it's an amazing piece of equipment.

Nothing to do with the wiring, you just played it too loud and the protection circuit kicked. If the preamp calibrations are similar to the Yamaha receiver that I use (in-room output of about 80 db with the volume position at -40db while using a wideband test tone) and you're using speakers with roughly around 90 db sensitivity, then you're looking at way over 100 watts/channel for a peak level load. Your receiver's shutting down in order to prevent permanent damage to the power supply components because they cannot safely handle loads that high.

The cables won't make a bit of difference in avoiding the protection mode.

Woochifer
11-15-2004, 04:55 PM

Regards

Sounds like you got a ventilation issue, especially if the receiver is blocked in on all sides by an enclosed entertainment center. The rules of thumb that I've read over the years basically indicate that you want about one foot of clearance above the amp. (six inches at the very least) Given that the RX-V1400 has a sidemounted cooling fan that draws air through the side vents in order to cool the heatsinks, I would guess that you need a generous amount of space along the sides as well. Your receiver is shutting down because something is alerting the protection circuit to kick in. Without the protection mode, your receiver could overload and permanently damage the power supply components.

First thing I would check is to see if that cooling fan kicks in at any time before the receiver shuts down. The cooling fan is only supposed to turn on during peak loads. If the receiver shuts down and the cooling fan never kicks in, then that might be the problem right there.

Something that you should also try is to move your receiver into a totally open space and test it out there. If it still shuts down in open space, then you should also double check the wiring (make sure that no loose wiring or terminals are touching one another).

nick4433
11-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Bala, the Yamahas have weaker amps compared to some other brands as tested by HT mag and S&V. I believe ventialltion might help you but not as much as you'd think. Get some highly efficient speakers or simply add an external amp if you want to listen and watch movies/music real loud.

hmmmm
11-16-2004, 05:51 PM
I have my 1400 pretty enclosed (actually forgot about the ventilation). I've had it cranked for long periods of time and it has never shut off. I'd call Yamaha.

Woochifer
11-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Bala, the Yamahas have weaker amps compared to some other brands as tested by HT mag and S&V. I believe ventialltion might help you but not as much as you'd think. Get some highly efficient speakers or simply add an external amp if you want to listen and watch movies/music real loud.

Actually, it's not a weakness in the amp, but in how aggressively the protection circuit kicks in. The receiver can sustain far higher output with just the main channels driven, but the protection circuit limits the all channels driven output. Normally, a bench test would measure how high the output goes to the onset of distortion, but the output ratings that S&V and HT have been obtaining don't necessarily reflect that.

Apparently, S&V observed this with recent Yamaha and Onkyo models, and I've been seeing that type of footnote appear in more bench tests lately. That could be the reason why the typical all channels driven output ratings for receivers dropped so much when the industry transitioned from 5.1 to 6.1 and 7.1.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/1117200314244.pdf