Very cool Bluesman [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Very cool Bluesman

Chip_B
11-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Roughly three years ago, Bryan E sent me a comp that included several tunes by Monti Amundson, a guy I'd never heard of prior to that time. The songs knocked me out and prompted me to spend considerable time trying to track down his CDs. Like numerous other lesser-known American Bluesmen, Amundson--an extraordinary guitarist, fine singer, and solid writer--has his fan base in Europe and is all but completely unknown in the U.S., so finding his music has been a real challenge.

Although I managed to eventually find most of his catalog, the one CD that continued to elude me was <i>Big Monti Blues</i>. The only place I could find that offered it was a website that appeared to be Amundson's, but that didn't inspire confidence that money sent through the site would actually result in getting a CD in return. Having come up empty while looking elsewhere, I decided to take a chance on the Amundson site and I mailed a check several weeks ago.

Last weekend, I got a package that contained a 'burned' copy (with only a plain paper insert denoting the song titles), my check, and a hand-written note from Monti. In the note he apologized for the delay in getting back to me, saying that he's been in the studio recording a new CD. He also explained that he no longer had any "manufactured" copies of <i>Big Monti Blues</i>, which is why he sent a dupe instead. Finally, he said to check the site in a few months for the new CD.

I think it's amazing that the guy took the time to burn a copy for me, return my money, and include a personal note. I'm truly impressed.

Best of all, the music is outstanding. I used three cuts on a comp I burned yesterday.

Swish
11-14-2004, 07:37 AM
I have so many comps to dig thru to find it, and perhaps I don't have the one you mentioned, but I'd like to hear this guy based on your rave review. That was very cool of him to make that dupe for you, and the fact that he returned your check.

What else is happening Chip?

Swish

Jim Clark
11-14-2004, 07:50 AM
That was an awesome tale. Nice to see a real guy taking an interest in his fans when I get the impression most would have cashed the check. Hands on approach was an great touch.

Hope things are going well.

jc

PS, have you listened to the new Otis Taylor CD? I haven't heard anything about it but I really liked listening to his "Respect The Dead" album. Someday I'll have a blues comp of my own. Scary thought.

Davey
11-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Nice story, Chip. It does sorta restore your faith in the music "business", huh? I remember a couple transactions along those same lines dealing directly with artists and they were all very cool. One involved the widow of a musician and she was very nice and appreciative when I contacted her about purchasing some CDs. But sounds like Monti really went beyond the call of duty. I'll have to check him out. Haven't been listening to much, if any, blues lately.

Dusty Chalk
11-14-2004, 12:30 PM
I had a similar experience with Jenifer Smith (Code Mesa (http://www.codemesa.com/)). Yes, I agree, it is very cool.

Worf101
11-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Proof positive that miracles do happen. Nice to know that some folks actually read and respond. Your story really, really made my day...

Da Worfster :D

Chip_B
11-15-2004, 04:21 PM
I have so many comps to dig thru to find it, and perhaps I don't have the one you mentioned, but I'd like to hear this guy based on your rave review. That was very cool of him to make that dupe for you, and the fact that he returned your check.

What else is happening Chip?

Swish
If you mean which tunes Bryan sent me, I don't think he named that particular comp. I've used other Amundson tunes on my Blues Deluxe comps though and as I mentioned, included three cuts from <i>Big Monti Blues</i> on my most recent one (BD #23). I'd be happy to send you a copy when I can get around to duping it. Just let me know if you're interested.

As for how I'm doing otherwise, I haven't had much free time over the past several months due to job demands, but I'm not complaining. I actually enjoy the work I'm doing and though the hours are too long, at least the work isn't drudgery.

Tunes-wise, I've put aside material to make several comps (funk, rockabilly, a covers collection, and a Concrete Blonde 'best of'). I've also got an acoustic Blues comp that I burned several weeks ago, but need to fix...it didn't turn out as I'd hoped.

Hope things are going well with you. It must be gettin' chilly up your way--time to bring out the winter wear. In Tampa, that means putting on a long sleeved shirt once a week.

Neener.

Chip_B
11-15-2004, 04:29 PM
That was an awesome tale. Nice to see a real guy taking an interest in his fans when I get the impression most would have cashed the check. Hands on approach was an great touch.

Hope things are going well.

jc

PS, have you listened to the new Otis Taylor CD? I haven't heard anything about it but I really liked listening to his "Respect The Dead" album. Someday I'll have a blues comp of my own. Scary thought.
I haven't heard it yet, but I think his 'White African' CD is superb. If that's any indication, the new one needs to be on my want list.

If you ever get around to making that Blues comp, please send me one. I'm sure your approach would be unique (and I mean that as a compliment, not a joke). I'd also be happy to send you a copy of an acoustic Blues comp I intend to make in the near future. There may be a couple of tunes on it that stray far enough from the stuff you don't care for to make it moderately interesting. Let me know if ya want one.

-Chip

Chip_B
11-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Nice story, Chip. It does sorta restore your faith in the music "business", huh? I remember a couple transactions along those same lines dealing directly with artists and they were all very cool. One involved the widow of a musician and she was very nice and appreciative when I contacted her about purchasing some CDs. But sounds like Monti really went beyond the call of duty. I'll have to check him out. Haven't been listening to much, if any, blues lately.
For the record, most of Monti Amundson's music is in the Blues-Rock and rockabilly vein, but he's done some really nice stuff with acoustic guitar as well. Just wanted to let you know what you were getting into.

Recommendations: <i>The Mean Eighteen</i> (electric Blues/rockabilly) and <i>I See Trouble</i> (Blues--somewhat unusual in that he fronts a typical 'electric' lineup--drums; electric bass--but plays acoustic guitar throughout).