Best Genre of Music to Break in New Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Genre of Music to Break in New Speakers

Solsys
12-14-2003, 02:52 AM
Hello,

I just built a new 6.1 Home Theater system and I've heard that it is good to allow the speakers a 50-100 hour break in period for them to reach their top ability ( Even though they sound pretty damn good right out of the box :) ). Since I don't have a player that can read DVD-Audio or SACD yet, I was going to use my Cable company's Digital Music channels for the job, just pick a station and leave it running all day while I'm at work.

I was wondering if there is a particular genre of music that has a good over-all range of sound that would give the speakers a good workout, or I can just put on any type of music to get the job done. Also, since the music channels only output 5.1 audio, can I use my Amp's 6 channel emulation features to keep the rear channel in sync with the rest of the speakers, or should I think about swapping the front and rear channel speakers every couple days untill everything is broken in? Is there anything else to take into consideration when breaking in speakers?

For anyone curious about my new setup:
Amp: Yamaha HTR-5590
Mains and Surround: Athena AS-B1
Front and Rear Center: Athena AS-C1
Subwoofer: Athena AS-P300

Thanks for any input offered.

TinHere
12-14-2003, 07:24 AM
If you set the Yammie to 6-channel stereo all the speakers will get a workout. Also, you can turn off the sub and run them all in Large to give them full extention. If you do nothing all will still be fine. Enjoy.

Geoffcin
12-14-2003, 09:21 AM
If you set the Yammie to 6-channel stereo all the speakers will get a workout. Also, you can turn off the sub and run them all in Large to give them full extention. If you do nothing all will still be fine. Enjoy.

Interesting idea, but I would be careful if the speakers are not rated for the full power of your amp. Some sats that were made to be crossed over @ 100hz could be fried by high current that a low frequency signal might send to them.

Geoffcin
12-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Scratch that last reply, at least for your speakers, as I just looked them up and they are easily capable of handling all your receiver can send to them.

Good luck on your new system!