Bright Eyes Knocks Usher & A. Keys from #1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bright Eyes Knocks Usher & A. Keys from #1

tentoze
11-11-2004, 09:17 AM
According to blurp on Pitchfork :p , 2 Bright Eyes singles (from 2 full-lengths due in January) have taken up residence as #1 and #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart. After last week's election results, a little of my faith in mankind has been restored this morning.

Davey
11-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Kinda scraping the bottom of the topic barrel this morning, eh?

Hahaha! Two cowboys are crawling through the desert without food and water, when one of them suddenly shouts. "Look it's a bacon tree! a bacon tree!" "Don't be stupid," replied his friend. "it's just a mirage. You're imagining things." But his friend runs off only to return minutes later with hundreds of bullet holes in him. "You were right," moaned the cowboy "it wasn't a bacon tree. It was a Ham Bush".

:p

JDaniel
11-11-2004, 12:19 PM
According to blurp on Pitchfork :p , 2 Bright Eyes singles (from 2 full-lengths due in January) have taken up residence as #1 and #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart. After last week's election results, a little of my faith in mankind has been restored this morning.
A few months back, a co-worker gave me an Alicia Keys disc to listen to. It was unlistenable. Same co-worker gave me the Janet Jackson - Damita Jo disc too. It also was unlistenable. At least to these ears.

Give me some Townes Van Zandt or John Prine or JJ Cale anytime.

JD

tentoze
11-11-2004, 01:03 PM
The King of The Indie Hipster Elitist Snobs is poo-pooing this sort of recognition for an act like BE? Sheesh, nemmine then.

Swish
11-11-2004, 01:36 PM
My Comcast Hi-Def package includes a couple independent stations that carry all sorts of neat programming, including some concerts. I was flipping thru the channels the other night and saw Usher for the first time. Well, I've seen his picture before, but I've never seen him perform. Anyway, what can I say? Nice choreography and the band was talented and tight, but his music? Not bad I suppose, but his lyrics were pedestrian at best; cliched crap that his adoring fans probably ignore anyway. "Come home to my place and take off your clothes" or some drivel like that, followed by a bunch of screams from his female fans. Heck, the guy isn't even very good looking if you ask me. Ok, I'm a guy and usually don't make such observations, but I can admit when another dude looks ok, can't I?

Anyway, I thought Usher was supposed to be pretty decent, but I'm not buying it.

Swish

Davey
11-11-2004, 01:57 PM
The King of The Indie Hipster Elitist Snobs is poo-pooing this sort of recognition for an act like BE? Sheesh, nemmine then.
Did you just call me poo-poo? Hey, sorry for making you cry, but since you mentioned the election I just wanted to sneak in a Bush joke. I know that associating him with Ham could be construed as being a poor loser, but.....maybe I am :)

I still think posting news items snarked from Pitchfork is scraping the poo-poo at the bottom of the topic barrel, but on further reflection, probably more interesting than the overwhelming majority of my posts ;)

In heavy rotation lately: Bubblegum by Mark Lanegan and friends

Jim Clark
11-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Brush with fame: At the gym and meet this women who is a regular who overheard me talking about music. She asked if I knew her brothers band-Cursive. Well, yeah, sayz I. Sheepishly admit to not actually owning any. Then she hits me with howz about his other band-Bright Eyes. Well, that one I really know replies I having more footing upon which to deal this time. Matt Mcginn, bassist is her bro. Anyway, it was music and BE related so I fiured I could hurridly put this in here.

dinner time
jc

audiobill
11-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Brush with fame: At the gym and meet this women who is a regular who overheard me talking about music. She asked if I knew her brothers band-Cursive. Well, yeah, sayz I. Sheepishly admit to not actually owning any. Then she hits me with howz about his other band-Bright Eyes. Well, that one I really know replies I having more footing upon which to deal this time. Matt Mcginn, bassist is her bro. Anyway, it was music and BE related so I fiured I could hurridly put this in here.

dinner time
jc

A brush with fame ... thanks for the story JC.

My favourite Bright Eyes songs: 1. Lover I Dont Have To Love and 2. Make War

Thanks for the intro to this very talented artist!!

Bout time one of the indie kids hit the charts. One for the little guy.
Bill

tentoze
11-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Did you just call me poo-poo? Hey, sorry for making you cry...

Respect yr elders, son, or you'll wind up in the Fiery Furnaces- truly gawdawful places. :p

In heavy rotation lately: Bubblegum by Mark Lanegan and friends
Spun that one today myself, after a 10 day or so hiatus. Damn good.