Mitsu TV cutting off picture? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mitsu TV cutting off picture?

Yeti2003
11-11-2004, 08:27 AM
I have a Mitsubishi 55 inch widescreen rear projection TV (model 55411?) for about 2 years now without any noticeable problems. I recently picked up Halo 2 for the Xbox and the image is cut off (about an inch) on the left side of the screen.

It doesn't matter if the Xbox is set to widescreen or normal mode. The only thing that seems to get the picture right is if I turn off progressive support on the Xbox. The full picture will show up but it's interlaced. I connected the Xbox to a PC monitor with progressive support turned on and it worked fine.

Has anyone had this problem? I think the problem is with the TV and how it handles the progressive signal. I tested out some DVDs and I noticed it the same problem, although not as bad, on a with a progressive scan DVD player. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

kfalls
11-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Have you checked what aspect it's in. I know current Mits models have two or three 16:9 aspects, 16:9 Standard, 16:9 Stretch, etc. I had a 55613 I believe and returned it because I hated the way they derived their aspects.

Yeti2003
11-12-2004, 09:59 AM
The TV is set to 16:9 standard. If I change it to zoom or expanded it looks worse. Even if the TV is set to 4:3 is still cuts off the picture. It only seems to happen with progressive signals. I may just have to a someone come and look at it.

eqm
11-12-2004, 10:29 AM
I currently own the 2004 Mits Diamond 55"...and the issue you're referring to is called "overscan". Imagine if the overall image was bigger on the top, bottom, and sides than the actual screen. The percentage of the overhang is known as overscan. The only way you will be able to remedy this, if it is an issue, is to have your set professionally calibrated to remove the overscan. Please do not have this done by someone who is not certified by Mitsubishi to do work or you will most likely void your warranty. Overscan is common in any set, including standard tubes, and the amount of overscan varies by manufacturer, and even model. Hope this helps

Yeti2003
11-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Based on what you've said and what I just looked up online, it looks like that could definitely be the problem. Thanks eqm!