is there anyway i could make my cone round again [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : is there anyway i could make my cone round again

rronald24
11-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Hi all,

i accidently touch the cone of my speaker. now it is no longer round or concave anymore. :mad:

is there any ways i could suck the cone such that it becomes round again. :confused:

hope to hear from you. :cool:

robert ronald

JSE
11-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi all,

i accidently touch the cone of my speaker. now it is no longer round or concave anymore. :mad:

is there any ways i could suck the cone such that it becomes round again. :confused:

robert ronald

How big is the speaker? If it's smaller, maybe and I say maybe a plunger would fit around the mounting ring and create a seal. If so, you might be able to suck it out. Not really sure if this would have any adverse effects to any other parts of the speaker though. You would be amazed how many things a plunger can fix. :rolleyes:

Remember, if you try this and you mess it up even more, it's not my fault. :D

JSE

royphil345
11-11-2004, 10:27 AM
I've used a hose type vacuum cleaner to pull out dents in the dust caps in the center of drivers. Keep your hand on the switch and turn it off as soon as the dent pops out. The plunger thing sounds a little bit frightening to me.

Lensman
11-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

robert ronald

I assume you're talking about the disk in the center of your speaker cone. This is the dust cap. In all likelyhood having it pushed in won't affect the sound of your speaker, though of course it doesn't look good. The vaccuum cleaner method Royphil mentioned works a lot of times. You can also try wrapping some tape around your finger with the sticky side out. Gently press it against the cap and pull out. Start from the outside of the dent and work in. The type of tape you use will vary depending on what the cap is made of as you want something tacky enough to hold a little, but not so tacky it tears the cap or pulls it off the cone. If you do this, you might start with something like masking tape.

Ryanm
11-11-2004, 12:26 PM
I've done this before and I always tend to use a needle and very carefully push the needle in near the dented spot then bend the needle over sideways under the dent to push it out, usually leaves a tiny little hole that doesn't make any diff to the speaker anyways and is impossible to see unless you get really close, but all of the above methods sound good too. The plunger thing I'm not so sure about, but the tape or vacuum cleaner sound good to me also.

Sidecar666
11-11-2004, 05:53 PM
If the dust cap is small enough, try a paper towel tube (the inside tube after the roll is done) and put it over the cap...Gently! Then suck air in with your mouth till the cap pops. I did this once before and it worked pretty well. Just don't push down onto the cone very hard!

rronald24
11-12-2004, 08:17 AM
If the dust cap is small enough, try a paper towel tube (the inside tube after the roll is done) and put it over the cap...Gently! Then suck air in with your mouth till the cap pops. I did this once before and it worked pretty well. Just don't push down onto the cone very hard!

hey guys!

thanks you so much. I will try it this weekend. i think the masking tape will be my 1st choice.

Robert Ronald