how to make my rear speaker wireless [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : how to make my rear speaker wireless

rronald24
11-11-2004, 07:37 AM
hi all,

i have a problem with my rear speakers that the speaker wire is rather messy running across the living room. wondering if there are any gadgets in the makets that i could use to make it wireless wihout reducing the sound qaulity.

hope to hear you expert view and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Robert Ronald

topspeed
11-11-2004, 09:18 AM
I can't imagine there is anything available that wouldn't degrade the sound. Have you tried tucking the wires underneath your carpet? How about hiding them behind the base board? If you want a really clean install, you could get some Niles plates and install them behind your rack and at each speaker point with your wires running through the attic and walls. This is a pain in the a$$ in existing homes but it's possible. Here's a link (http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/sacobj.html).

BTW, have you tried contacting your speaker manufacturer regarding your pushed-in dust cover? I've also heard of people sucking it out using something like a turkey baster and rigging some kind of cone on the tip of it. Really though, if you can't hear a difference I wouldn't screw with it too much for fear of making it worse.

JDaniel
11-11-2004, 09:31 AM
hi all,

i have a problem with my rear speakers (#) that the speaker wire (#) is rather messy running across the living room. wondering if there are any gadgets in the makets that i could use to make it wireless wihout reducing the sound qaulity.

Best Regards,

Robert Ronald

Another option that is quite good is to buy channel (sort of like conduit) at Home Depot that is both paintable and has peel/stick adhesive on the back. The cables fit inside. You paint it to match your baseboard, then route it along the floor and baseboard. It is virtually invisible. You can even use it to go up a wall to reach wall-mounted surround speakers. Just paint it to match your walls.

JD

Lensman
11-11-2004, 04:11 PM
hi all,

i have a problem with my rear speakers that the speaker wire is rather messy running across the living room. wondering if there are any gadgets in the makets that i could use to make it wireless wihout reducing the sound qaulity.

Best Regards,

Robert Ronald

Well you're not alone. Pioneer executives visited homes two years ago and discovered 40% of the households weren't using them or had them improperly hooked up (as in sitting on top of th front speakers, etc.) because of wiring issues.

While sales of systems jumped by 29% last year, they're expected to rise only 7.5% this year according to EBrian Market Research. So now there's a growing interest amount consumer electronics manufacturers such as Sony, Pioneer, Philips and Samsung to sell systems to consumers fed up with wires.

This may good in the future, but for now there's still quality problems. The most major of which is bandwidth intereference. Some devices use the 900 mhz frequency band, which can receive interference from cordless phones, baby monitors and other home devices. Some use 2.4 ghz, which is less susceptible to interference, but can still be messed with by devices like microwave ovens. Some use home electrical wiring (which disperses the signal throughout the house) and even infrared (which can be cut if the line-of-sight is blocked). A fortified 2.4 ghz transmission scheme is being developed by Samsung. But even it is considered to have "little chance of interference."

Because of these concerns, high end companies have largely dismissed wireless speaker technologies as counterproductive. So right now, if it's quality you want, it'll be best to look into ways to run the wires and hide them.

Woochifer
11-11-2004, 04:34 PM
You're outta luck if you're looking for a wireless system that won't degrade the audio quality. Right now, wireless systems won't even let you connect to a regular speaker. The only ones that I've seen are self-powered and you're wedded to whatever speakers hook up to the receiving unit.

In the future I can see distributed wireless systems as more speakers build the DACs and DSP circuitry directly into the speakers. Right now, there's a growing selection of high end speakers that have the digital decoding and amplification built in, but the wireless signal distribution is not part of it yet because you need a lot of bandwidth to do high res uncompressed digital audio. You still need a digital cable of some kind.

Right now, the market for wireless audio the way that you describe has yet to materialize. Your best solution is probably to go with some of the flat speaker cables that are available and run them along the floorboards or under a rug. There are a lot of ribbon speaker cables out there, you might want to look into those and other flat cables.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/flatwire-FLT.html

rronald24
11-12-2004, 08:21 AM
Thank you so much for the suggestions.
my wife and i will lay a carpet to conceal the monster cables...

Robert Ronald