Burner software: any advice? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Burner software: any advice?

Chip_B
11-11-2004, 07:19 AM
I currently use Roxio to burn CDs, but I'm not real happy with it. My system crashes whenever I attempt to burn more than five copies consecutively, the 'connect to internet' feature for downloading CD info doesn't work, the cover creator functions are too limited, and every attempt to load 'fixes' from Roxio's site completely hoses it, which forces me to uninstall and then reload from the disc.

There's a Best Buy ad for Nero 6 in today's paper--does it offer a better alternative? Is there other CD burn software worth considering? I'm looking for something stable that has powerful tools.

I'd appreciate a little help.

-Chip

I should add that I run Windows XP.

JDaniel
11-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Chip - I use both (have them both loaded on my machine right now), and have honestly had great luck with both. I'm not sure I could choose between them. Roxio is a little easier to use IMO. But Nero has a very good and easy to use WAV editor that is quite useful.

I have two versions of Nero (5.5 came with my burner). I recently bought version 6 in an OEM package (not the retail package) for $3.00 at surpluscomputers.com. OEM means you just get the disc, not a user's guide. But when's the last time you used one of those? I just checked, and they still have it for $2.99 here:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/

Just do a search on Nero.

If you get it, buy the one with dual-layer dvd (#) support. You may or may not need it now, but most likely will in the future.

JD

Dusty Chalk
11-11-2004, 10:58 AM
I actually use the burner software that's built in to EAC for audio CD's. The few times I burn data CD's, I have to go figure something out. Okay, I use Veritas Record Now DX, which came free with the CD burner.

-Jar-
11-11-2004, 11:39 AM
I actually use the burner software that's built in to EAC for audio CD's. The few times I burn data CD's, I have to go figure something out. Okay, I use Veritas Record Now DX, which came free with the CD burner.

I haven't dug into EAC for this function. Does it do fades at all? I need a good software for doing fades. Roxio only works if you set up the playlist and burn it right then. You can't save it and go back to it because it looses all the fades. Also, you have to have fades between every track, you can't just have a few fades and leave the rest, because it will ignore those fades.

Very frustrating.

I might try that Nero if it does fades well.

-jar

NP: Appleseed Cast, LOW LEVEL OWL VOL. 1

Davey
11-11-2004, 12:03 PM
I'd like to help but I don't use any full service type packages so don't have any advice. Didn't want you to think we were all ignoring you, though ;)

I usually rip and burn with EAC and do the artwork in MS Word. And I do any wav editing I need to do such as transitions and crossfading type stuff in GoldWave after adjusting the volume level with normalizing and/or compression. Or sometimes I just use the EAC editor if it's something real simple like a fade-in or fade-out. Or sometimes I just use the lite version of Roxio that came with my computer if all I wanna do is a dupe or quick burn.

JDaniel
11-11-2004, 12:13 PM
I haven't dug into EAC for this function. Does it do fades at all? I need a good software (#) for doing fades. Roxio only works if you set up the playlist and burn it right then. You can't save it and go back to it because it looses all the fades. Also, you have to have fades between every track, you can't just have a few fades and leave the rest, because it will ignore those fades.

Very frustrating.

I might try that Nero if it does fades well.

-jar

Jar - Nero does allow you to fade individual tracks, and allows you to save the fades (or any other filters you apply). It also allows you to choose the amount of fade in/out (in number of seconds). Just to be sure, I pulled up a cd from my hard drive, selected a few tracks, applied some filters to individual tracks, and saved the compilation. I closed the program, then went back in, and pulled up the saved compilation. All filters were there.

And the WAV editor alone is worth more than the $3.00 software. And it even includes free shipping.

FWIW, that site also has Roxio 7.0 w/ DVD features, for $8.99. Pretty cheap.

JD

-Jar-
11-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Jar - Nero does allow you to fade individual tracks, and allows you to save the fades (or any other filters you apply). It also allows you to choose the amount of fade in/out (in number of seconds). Just to be sure, I pulled up a cd from my hard drive, selected a few tracks, applied some filters to individual tracks, and saved the compilation. I closed the program, then went back in, and pulled up the saved compilation. All filters were there.

And the WAV editor alone is worth more than the $3.00 software. And it even includes free shipping.

FWIW, that site also has Roxio 7.0 w/ DVD features, for $8.99. Pretty cheap.

JD

maybe I should have been more clear. I was talking about cross-fades.. like, where one song begins before the last one ends.. like I used to do in my college DJ daze. :-)

one of these days I'll just have to break down and get something that works. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay with Roxio right now or try something completely different..

-jar

Swish
11-11-2004, 01:53 PM
when Roxio forced me to upgrade, at a fairly high cost, when I changed my OS to XP Pro. Anyway, I got a super deal on a TDK 52x speed burner at Best Buy and it comes with Nero. Now that I know how to use it properly, I love it, although making comps was a little confusing at first. After a little practice I'm not an "expect" (don't laugh) and can zip one out in no time.

Swish

Dusty Chalk
11-11-2004, 02:14 PM
maybe I should have been more clear. I was talking about cross-fades.. like, where one song begins before the last one ends.. It does fades (fade-ins and fade-outs), but it does not do crossfades, AFAIK. But then again, not even my Alesis Masterlink does that, neither. But on my Masterlink, I would do some ...logarithmic? I think...fades, and if you put those tracks next to each other, they were pretty smooth. It's too bad EAC's audio file editor doesn't do that.

Chip_B
11-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Jeff...I'll look into getting the cheap disc. Also, thanks to all for the info and advice...much obliged.

BTW, anyone know anything about Alcohol 120%? I've seen some things online that give it pretty high marks.

rufus
11-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Chip - I use both (have them both loaded on my machine right now), and have honestly had great luck with both. I'm not sure I could choose between them. Roxio is a little easier to use IMO. But Nero has a very good and easy to use WAV editor that is quite useful.

I have two versions of Nero (5.5 came with my burner). I recently bought version 6 in an OEM package (not the retail package) for $3.00 at surpluscomputers.com. OEM means you just get the disc, not a user's guide. But when's the last time you used one of those? I just checked, and they still have it for $2.99 here:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/

Just do a search on Nero.

If you get it, buy the one with dual-layer dvd (#) support. You may or may not need it now, but most likely will in the future.

JD

have you had any problems with both installed on your computer? maybe they've fixed it by now, but i heard horror stories about earlier versions of EZ CD Creator and Nero not getting along well on the same system.

i'm using the Roxio OEM that came with my Plextor burner, but for that price, i just might pick up the Nero and check it out.

JDaniel
11-12-2004, 05:24 AM
have you had any problems with both installed on your computer? maybe they've fixed it by now, but i heard horror stories about earlier versions of EZ CD Creator and Nero not getting along well on the same system.

i'm using the Roxio OEM that came with my Plextor burner, but for that price, i just might pick up the Nero and check it out.
Rufus,

I've had no problems so far. I'm running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, and have had no conflicts. I only have Nero loaded at home on my Windows 98 machine, so I don't know about that.

JD

JDaniel
11-12-2004, 05:26 AM
maybe I should have been more clear. I was talking about cross-fades.. like, where one song begins before the last one ends.. like I used to do in my college DJ daze. :-)

one of these days I'll just have to break down and get something that works. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay with Roxio right now or try something completely different..

-jar
What are ya, a DJ or something???

Actually I do remember a couple of comps from you and Todd (3LB) that had some cool cross-fades. His was a Pink Floyd set, if my memory is correct. Probably not.

JD

-Jar-
11-12-2004, 06:26 AM
you guys cursed me.. one of my drivers for DirectCD went "out of date" last night and I worked for over an hour trying to get it fixed.. but I had no luck. My Roxio is all screwed up now because DirectCD isn't working right. I can't even add tracks to my Windows Media Player playlists, though I'm not sure if it's the same problem, it's a weird co-incidence. I think I might just do a system restore in case this was just a screw up or something. Very frustrating. To upgrade Roxio costs at least $70 bucks. I guess I really haven't had any major problems with my PC over the past few years, except having to replace a motherboard.

But this is pissing me off.

-jar

Stone
11-12-2004, 06:29 AM
JD

This is what I do too (use both Roxio and Nero). I like Nero for editing (especially non-CD source material - I can edit out any pops and ticks between songs, etc.), and use Roxio for burning. I agree with JD, Roxio to me is much easier to use, but Nero has more capabilities (although I really don't do anything very complex). I really don't have any complaints (but I've never tried to do cross fading, and don't know if the version of Nero I have even has that capability).

rufus
11-12-2004, 04:53 PM
you guys cursed me.. one of my drivers for DirectCD went "out of date" last night and I worked for over an hour trying to get it fixed.. but I had no luck. My Roxio is all screwed up now because DirectCD isn't working right. I can't even add tracks to my Windows Media Player playlists, though I'm not sure if it's the same problem, it's a weird co-incidence. I think I might just do a system restore in case this was just a screw up or something. Very frustrating. To upgrade Roxio costs at least $70 bucks. I guess I really haven't had any major problems with my PC over the past few years, except having to replace a motherboard.

But this is pissing me off.

-jar

can't you just uninstall and re-install? you have the install disc, right?

as for JDaniel:

maybe they have fixed it, cause this was back when it was still adaptec, not roxio. just heard lots of stories ablout computers screwing up if both were installed. i'm still using win98, so maybe that's part of it also. but maybe i'll still see about trying nero. not that i really need it, as i use cool edit for editing, and usually split tracks with goldwave. but hey, for $3?

ForeverAutumn
11-13-2004, 06:06 AM

-jar

I have Cakewalk Pyro. You can definately do crossfades on it. And you can overlay tracks too. It's a great program for editing. It turns the WAV file into a sound wave image that you can drag and drop. You can adjust volume levels; cut the image into smaller bites; shorten songs; isolate specific pieces; etc. Then you can listen to your edits before you burn. You can choose the start and end spot of what you want to listen to. So if you were to cross fade a disk of, say, 20 songs, you could just listen to the cross fades before you burn, without having to spend time listening to the full 80 minute disk. It's very versatile and easy to use.

I don't like it for burning. I can't find a way to burn without testing the CD first -- a waste of time, especially if you're burning multiple copies. So I usually use Pyro to rip and edit, save the image, and then use the basic software that came with my burner to burn. You can check out Pyro here.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Pyro/default.asp

BillB
11-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm just getting into making backups of my DVD collection and everyone into that sort of thing swears by Nero (which I use for CDs). There's more support from the company, a bigger user community, and it works better with other software programs out there.

Roxio is more user-friendly though.

Bill