Floorstander Question.......... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floorstander Question..........

Cumminspuller
11-10-2004, 09:48 PM
I just bought a used set of Polk RTi150's. My question is: Is there an optimal distance these should be placed from the wall behind them?

Thank you,

Jason

JSE
11-11-2004, 07:58 AM
I just bought a used set of Polk RTi150's. My question is: Is there an optimal distance these should be placed from the wall behind them?

Thank you,

Jason

I think these had a down firing port if I remember right. If that's the case, they would probably not be as sensitive to rear wall distance as say a rear ported design. However, every room is different and it will really come down to just experimenting with placement and hearing for yourself what works best. I would probably start about 18 to 24 inches out and work out from there if needed. I would also keep in mind any side walls or cabintery near the speakers since they are down firing.

JSE

topspeed
11-11-2004, 09:05 AM
In addition to JSE's good advice, also make sure the speaker isn't equidistant from the back and side walls. One or two issues ago, TAS had a bunch of articles regarding room interaction and honestly, it was one the best issues they've put out IMO. You might try to get your hands on a copy (library?) and give it a read. It was very enlightening without being overly techie.