Carpet Spikes...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Spikes......

Cumminspuller
11-10-2004, 09:45 PM
I just bought my first set of "real" speakers. A used set of Polk RTi150's. I must say these are not a light speaker. And my wife and I are very happy with the seound. So clean and crisp. Does the carpet dampen the bass response? Would carpet spikes fix this? If so, can anyone recommend somewhere to get them?

Jason

gonefishin
11-11-2004, 08:45 PM
you can take a look at PartsExpress (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=139).

take care,

dan

Jimmy C
11-12-2004, 04:05 AM
I just bought my first set of "real" speakers. A used set of Polk RTi150's. I must say these are not a light speaker. And my wife and I are very happy with the seound. So clean and crisp. Does the carpet dampen the bass response? Would carpet spikes fix this? If so, can anyone recommend somewhere to get them?

Jason

...a good idea simply because the speakers will be better secured. Hopefully, there are already holes tapped... I'm not familiar with that model, and I don't like doing my own surgery!

Soundwise, spikes will "tighten up" the bass if you feel the response is somewhat loose. The sound will be a bit quicker, if you will.

Good luck...

FLZapped
11-12-2004, 08:29 AM

Jason

The carpeting hardly has any effect on the bass. raising the speaker off the floor will.

Monstrous Mike
11-12-2004, 11:13 AM
The carpeting hardly has any effect on the bass. raising the speaker off the floor will.
Also try moving the speaker closer or further from the wall or in corners. Carpets affect higher frequencies, not bass. Bass is affected by the shape and size of the room and the location of the speaker.

Cumminspuller
11-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Thank you all who replied. I took everyones advice. Should have some spikes here for the first part of the week.

Jason