Sub/Receiver Setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub/Receiver Setup

mjon99
11-10-2004, 06:18 PM
My receiver is capable of crossing over at 100, 150 or 200. My Sub is capable between 60 - 125. My question is what would be the optimal set up with the two? Should I have the sub at 125 and adjust with my receiver ( i'd assume to 100) or have the receiver at 200 and adjust the sub accordingly. Additionally my receiver can be set up as small or large speakers for all (front rear center) or any combination there of. I know it's what sounds best to me but what would you all reccommend? All small with the sub at 125 and adjust the xover with the receiver?

My set up is:
Pioneer 711 receiver
Polk R50 - front
Polk CSi30 - center
Polk R15 - surround
Polk PSW450 - Sub

chimera128
11-10-2004, 09:20 PM
I would wire your mains through the sub since they aren't really capable of low bass reproduction. I would then set the l/r fronts to large on your receiver and experiment with the subs crossover settings to get the best blend between your sub and mains. Unless you have large speakers (either large towers or monitors/smaller towers wired through subs) you should probably set your speakers to small. In case I confused you I would do the following with your setup:

Left/Right front set to large. Wire them through the sub and experiment with the sub's crossover to find the best combination. Setting them to large will still send the LFE information to the sub.
Center set to small.
Surrounds set to small.

And btw.. it is what sounds best to you so you may just want to experiment. Hope this helps.

stuartlittle
11-14-2004, 06:02 PM
If your sub has a crossover disable function, you could just use the crossover on the receiver. It's not really necessary to have both the receiver and the subwoofer crossover active if your speakerr are all connected to the receiver.

Geoffcin
11-14-2004, 06:47 PM
My receiver is capable of crossing over at 100, 150 or 200. My Sub is capable between 60 - 125. My question is what would be the optimal set up with the two? Should I have the sub at 125 and adjust with my receiver ( i'd assume to 100) or have the receiver at 200 and adjust the sub accordingly. Additionally my receiver can be set up as small or large speakers for all (front rear center) or any combination there of. I know it's what sounds best to me but what would you all reccommend? All small with the sub at 125 and adjust the xover with the receiver?

My set up is:
Pioneer 711 receiver
Polk R50 - front
Polk CSi30 - center
Polk R15 - surround
Polk PSW450 - Sub

Your R50's are plenty big enough to be run full range. I have the Pioneer 811s in a second system and it has a sub setting called Subwoofer plus. In this mode the subwoofer does the LFE (.1) track of discrete 5.1 program material, and any of the speakers that are set to SMALL, but still allows the LARGE speakers to play full range. I think the 711 also has this setting. If so, set the mains to LARGE, and make the center and surrounds small. Set the crossover on the receiver to 100hz, and the subs crossover to the highest (125) setting. Your going to have to manually play with the subs volume to get it set right.

Good luck!