Faroudja chip vs DVI DVD Players [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Faroudja chip vs DVI DVD Players

mog25
11-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi, I have an HDTV with a DVI/HDMI input. I can''t decide if I should go with a DVD player that upconverts a 480i DVD to 720p and 1080i or go with a component input DVD player with the Sage/Faroudja DCDi chip like the Panasonic RP82S. I can't decide; need some help. I have had people tell me upconverting DVD players through DVI/HDMI is something to avoid.

Also some suggestions on players that upconvert and/or have the Faroudja chip would be helpful (which you'd recommend). Thanks.

johnnyk8
11-13-2004, 06:23 PM
I was in this same situation about a month ago and 90% of th epeople I spoke to pointed toward a DVD Player with a Faroudja Chip. You are going to have a hell of I time finding a RP 82 or any of the other Panasonics, even on ebay. I went to www.ecost.com and bought a Denon DVM-1815. It has a Faroudja chip and is awesome!!. Ecost also had DVD2200s and 910s. They are an approved Denon dealer too. Free shipping.

If you need more info try these

Here is the list of some affordable ones.
Panasonic RP-82
Panasonic XP-30
Panasonic XP-50
Panasonic CP-72
Panasonic RP-56
Denon DVD-910
Denon DVD-1600
Denon DVM-1815
Denon DVD-1910
Denon DVD-2200
Denon DVM-2815

I am sure there are a bunch more out there but this is a list of the affordable good players.
I got this info from http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

THe Faroudja chip is worth it.

mattldm
11-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Maybe someone can help me sort this out.
I am confused on how the DVI/HDMI outputs work. The Denon 2910 DVD player which has HDMI output that can upconvert the signal to 720p, This player also has high quality Video DAC's and a faroudja deinterlacer, so here are my questions...

1. If you use the HDMI to connect to the TV are you using the internal DAC's or is the signal sent out to the TV in digital domain?

2. which output uses the Faroudja DCDi... HDMI, Components, both?

3. Which connection is going to give the best video, HDMI or component?

Any help would be great, I am going to be buying a new HDTV and DVD player soon and need some help.
thanks
Matt

AVMASTER
11-24-2004, 10:33 AM
a couple of things; E-Cost sells discontinued, refurbished Denon gear and the models the other guy listed do not up-convert. #2- is your HDTV a fixed pixel display, i.e. plasma, microdisplay, lcd ? #3 is the connection DVI or HDMI ?
using a DVI or HDMI connection keeps the signal in the digital domain, bypassing internal video processing and mating the signal to the native resolution of the display; some of the best deals currently available are Samsung DVDHD941 ( universal player with faroudja chip), Sony DVPNS975V, Bravo D2, Panasonic DVDS97, and Denon DVD1910

johnnyk8
11-24-2004, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=AVMASTER]a couple of things; E-Cost sells discontinued, refurbished Denon gear and the models the other guy listed do not up-convert. #2- is your HDTV a fixed pixel display, i.e. plasma, microdisplay, lcd ? #3 is the connection DVI or HDMI ?

The reason I listed those DVD Players that do not upconvert is because he asked should I get a upconverting DVD player or one with a Faroudja chip. Upconversion to 720p or 1080i is not all it's cracked up to be. That's all.

AVMASTER
11-24-2004, 03:28 PM
The reason I listed those DVD Players that do not upconvert is because he asked should I get a upconverting DVD player or one with a Faroudja chip. Upconversion to 720p or 1080i is not all it's cracked up to be. That's all.[/QUOTE]
understood, and i'm not crazy about up-conversion either however i have tried the Samsung DVDHD931 with Sony KDF60WF655 60" grand wega, JVC HD61Z575, Hitachi 42V710 and Hitachi 50VS810 , all with a noticable difference in detail and color. Anyway he can resolve his issue with a up-converting dvd player that has the chip
KIS

f

f

johnnyk8
11-25-2004, 07:40 PM
nuf said.

Yeah, the samsung provides both faroudja and upconversion.

mattldm
11-28-2004, 10:12 AM
So, considering I have a DLP TV that has a native resolution of 1280 X 720, I should get a better picture from a DVD player that upconverts the signal to 720P?

another question...Does the samsung (841) DVD player use the faroudja DCDI on the upconerted signal from the DVI output?

jxnew
12-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Check out the nytimes article on upconvert dvd players in the same forum..

mjon99
12-03-2004, 08:52 AM
What is a faroudja chip?

jxnew
12-03-2004, 12:00 PM
A chip made by faroudja? :) http://www.faroudja.com/about.phtml

jsokko
12-24-2004, 04:51 AM
The Samsung HD841 player does *not* have the Faroudja chip. Nor is it worth the 200 clams. I just bought this with my new HDTV TX-P3071WH (dvi out, dvi in) and the black levels are too dark... along with random skipped lines and audio pops.

I will be testing out the V Bravo D2 and the Denon 755S next month. I will post my opinions when I get around to it...

And as far as the Faroudja DCDi chip is concerned, I was not blown away when using the Philips model (can't remember the exact model) with Loewe Planus DTV. Besides, isn't the DCDi chip getting long in the tooth now?