Cool little toys [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cool little toys

topspeed
11-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Saw these (http://vonschweikert.com/fps_speaker.html) on the Von Schweikert website and I have no idea how they sound but they sure look damn cool! Has anybody heard these little things? I'm not in the market for speakers but for $129, I might buy 'em just for giggles. Knowing how particular Albert is, I'd have to imagine they sound pretty good for him to pitch them on his website.

What's your take?

dean_martin
11-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Saw these (http://vonschweikert.com/fps_speaker.html) on the Von Schweikert website and I have no idea how they sound but they sure look damn cool! Has anybody heard these little things? I'm not in the market for speakers but for $129, I might buy 'em just for giggles. Knowing how particular Albert is, I'd have to imagine they sound pretty good for him to pitch them on his website.

What's your take?

Hey speedy, there was a positive review for that computer setup in Stereophile several months ago. It was from someone I didn't expect like Fremer maybe? I'll check my archives in the thinking/reading room and get back to you!

Might be an interesting alternative to some of the higher priced well-received computer packages like the Acoustic Energy Aegeo2.

Geoffcin
11-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks Topspeed, that's all I needed was another set of speaker!

ps. just ordered them.

dean_martin
11-10-2004, 06:00 PM
December 02 issue of Stereophile in John Marks' "Fifth Element" column. Wasn't really a review but a mention as one of the surprises at a home entertainment show. He was impressed with nearfield soundstaging and suggested not placing subwoofer on floor and not dialing its volume up too high to avoid overpowering the ribbon tweeters in the "penguins". Original price was $249. He was impressed with the technology you could get at that price. Sounds like a bargain at $129.

topspeed
11-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks Topspeed, that's all I needed was another set of speaker!

ps. just ordered them.

Good, now you can tell us how they sound :D!

Thanks for the info Dean. You possess a far better memory than I to recall a blurb in a mag from almost 3 years ago! I'm impressed!

Seriously, I'm itchin' to buy these things but have absolutely no use for them whatsoever. I'm even trying to get creative and figure out where I could stash 'em but alas, I'm out of room. I simply have no place to put them. Oh well, I guess I'll have to listen vicariously through you Geoff!

dean_martin
11-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info Dean. You possess a far better memory than I to recall a blurb in a mag from almost 3 years ago! I'm impressed!

Don't be. But for you, that info would have been worthless. My head is packed with trivial info but I'm always getting into trouble at home because I can't remember what my wife said yesterday.

On a more serious note, I finally tracked down a Von Schweikert dealer close enough to audition the VR-1. I was listening to some Revels at a shop yesterday. I told the salesman, who's a super nice guy, that I was looking for something about half the price of the M22s and easier to drive. I asked him if he had heard the VR-1s and he told me about a friend of his one state over that carries them. He told me frankly that he didn't have anything in the $1000 range that was comparable. One day when I've put my teens through college I'm gonna drop some serious $$$ in his store. You don't see honesty like that very often.

topspeed
11-12-2004, 10:59 AM
On a more serious note, I finally tracked down a Von Schweikert dealer close enough to audition the VR-1. I was listening to some Revels at a shop yesterday. I told the salesman, who's a super nice guy, that I was looking for something about half the price of the M22s and easier to drive. I asked him if he had heard the VR-1s and he told me about a friend of his one state over that carries them. He told me frankly that he didn't have anything in the $1000 range that was comparable. One day when I've put my teens through college I'm gonna drop some serious $$$ in his store. You don't see honesty like that very often.

Boy, it sure makes a world of difference when you find a dealer that you can trust and enjoy working with, doesn't it? My VSA dealer is a lot like your guy and I have every intention of buying my HDTV through him and maybe, after I'm old and grey, I'll pick up some of his BAT and Hovland equipment too! Maybe you'll get an opportunity to hear the VR1's over the holidays. Let me know what you think.

bignerd100
11-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Thank you both for reafirming my faith in the consumers of America. We try to give the exact same service you have described but usualy get passed over for internet discounts.
Thanks!