HDTV - RGB or Component? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV - RGB or Component?

woodson16
11-10-2004, 01:17 PM
I have an older HDTV monitor and am just getting into the 21st century & upgrading my DirecTV to HD. Problem is that the monitor does not have DVI inputs.
I already use my component video HD jacks on the monitor for my progressive scan DVD player, and had planned on using the RGB jacks for the HD receiver connection.

My question is which connection type will give me a better picture in HD - RGB or component video?

depressed
11-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Easy one: Component. However, HD, because of it's superb image quality unveils any loss/distortion of the input signal. That's why DVI/HDMI is (almost) a must to get the most out of the HD experience. I never watched HDTV through component, so I can't really comment on the difference in PQ between using DVI and component input. What I did watch was computer's video card output through both RGB and component and IMO component input is better.... If (when) you decide to upgrade the tv, go with HDMI (no scaling, 1;1 mapping, baby)

Dale M
11-10-2004, 09:54 PM
I thought RBG were component video,,the same thing,
Dale M

depressed
11-11-2004, 12:30 AM
I thought RBG were component video,,the same thing,
Dale M

No, RGB is a 15-pin input/output, if you look at your computer's video card you 'll know what I'm talking about. Technically, they SHOULD have the same signal quality, it's the identical type of transporting signal. I think that there is also a difference in "signal loss to cable length" ratio but I don't know exactly which transport has the upper hand there. IMO, cables and connections are weird, a lot of things don't make any sense about them.

cashlz
11-11-2004, 04:41 AM
Do you use an a/v receiver? I use a denon 1804 which has 2 component inputs and one out so that solves the problem of only one component input on the monitor for my hd and dvd. For some stupid reason adelphia cable doesn't support dvi yet. If you dont use a receiver its a good excuse to get into the hobby and using hdtv you'll want to take advantage of dolby digital with high definition. I haven't had any resolution issues by using component for hd.