Stripped Hole Speaker Cabinet [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Hole Speaker Cabinet

Rob H
11-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Through tweaking my AR.coms, I have stripped one of the holes for tightening down the woofer on the cabinet (MDF/Madisound cabinet).Any suggestions on reparing?

Thanks,

Rob

markw
11-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Get some Elmer's Wood Glue and some flat toothpicks.

Dip small end of toothpick into glue and then insert it, as far as you can, into the stripped hole. Break off and leave toothpick fragment in the hole.

Repeat as many times as needed.

dave_bullet
11-10-2004, 03:22 PM
You could also replace with a t-nut (or do the whole lot so the heads look the same). I used 4mm t-nut bolts / nuts. I think you drill them out to 6 - 8 mm (dependent on the width of the nut).

If you have recessed your drivers (ie. flush mounteD), it depends on how much of a flange you have available (as the teeth of the t-nut may overlap with the speaker cutout).

The good thing about t-nuts is you can undo / redo as many times as you like with minimal wear and tear. For heavy drivers they are a must IMHO. For the AR.Com DIYs - I'd also use them if you plan to do a lot of tweaking requiring constant driver removal

Checkout my AR.com DIY towers posting pictures - I've used t-nuts there (you can see them installed on the back in the construction photos).

Cheers,
David.