ESS AMT1D speakers. how much are they worth??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ESS AMT1D speakers. how much are they worth???

marantzman1
11-09-2004, 04:48 PM
i was wondering if anyone here might beable to tell me how much a set of very clean and original with original boxes ess amt 1d`s are worth?? also how good are the speakers themselves? i have a chance to buy a beautiful pair for $550 but i am not sure if there worth it or not? any help would be great. thanks

JSE
11-09-2004, 07:46 PM
i was wondering if anyone here might beable to tell me how much a set of very clean and original with original boxes ess amt 1d`s are worth?? also how good are the speakers themselves? i have a chance to buy a beautiful pair for $550 but i am not sure if there worth it or not? any help would be great. thanks

My father has a pair of Heil ESS AMT Monitors. They are a little larger than the 1Ds but I am guessing the sound would be pretty close. I LOVE these speakers. They are not the most accurate speakers out there but they throw a huge soundstage and preduce a very full and "BIG?" sound. They have great bass impact and the Heil air-motion transformer is pretty impressive. Very smooth. Not harsh at all compare to many newer speakers today.

Again, these are not the end all in terms of accuracy but they are fun to listen and will shack the plaster of the walls.

Short answer, I would pay $550 for the Monitors in a heartbeat if they were in good condition. Like I said before, I am guessing the 1Ds are very similiar in sound.

JSE

Mash
11-10-2004, 01:42 PM
marantzman1
Do an eBay search on Heil ESS AMT, especially in the "closed" auctions section, and see if anything pops up. The "closed" auctions used to be a real treasure-trove of auction-based market-value information. Before they adopted the policy of deleting closed auctions older than a month or two you could see what price items sold for, or just as importantly what price they did NOT sell for... selling prices were remarkably consistent from one auction to another.

One dealer was selling a sizeable quantity of Chase-Durer UDT1000 watches on eBay, one watch at a time, and even though I bought one $1 above the extreme lower price limit, the prices for this entire group of Chase-Durer UDT1000 watches varied LESS THAN +/- 4% ! THAT is an EFFICIENT market!! And the group average price was $125 below the lowest 'NET' sale price and $225 below the lowest 'NET' regular 'retail discount' price.