Let's hear your top 5... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear your top 5...

Ex Lion Tamer
11-09-2004, 05:31 AM
OK people let's keep it short. Lemme see your top 5 albums of the year (so far). I need some new blood and I don't wanna waste my time on the also-rans.

I've probably only got about 6 releases in all so far, but for what it's worth here are my five...

Modest Mouse - Good News...
Les Savy Fav - Inches
Franz Ferdinand
Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans

Jim Clark
11-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Always tough to pound out that list but if I were ranking today, and I am apparently, these would make the cut though I won't agonize over the order:

The National-Cherry Tree (I know it's an EP but it's really that good)
The Legends-Up Against The Legends
Snow Patrol-Final Straw
Interpol-Antics
Lali Puna-Faking The Books

Of note, I still don't have Funeral Arcade and by most accounts it's essential this year. Top 10 is going to be a blood bath this year.

jc

Stone
11-09-2004, 06:36 AM
OK people let's keep it short.

Not sure what my top 5 are yet, and I have a lot to listen to before year end, but my top 3 so far are these:

Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
A.C. Newman - The Slow Wonder
Adem - Homesongs

Dusty Chalk
11-09-2004, 07:11 AM
...from my list, so I'm going to go over.

Anti-Depressive Delivery, Feel. Melt. Release. Escape.
Auf der Maur
Ayreon, The Human Equation
Björk, Medulla
Buckethead, Population Override
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
Dykehouse, Midrange
Einstürzende Neubauten, Perpetuum Mobile
Franz Ferdinand
Friends of Dean Martinez, Random Harvest
Ghost, Hypnotic Underworld
Happy the Man, The Muse Awakens
Kayo Dot, Choirs of the Eye
Miss Kittin, I.com
Múm, Summer Make Good
Neurosis, Eye of the Storm
Pan American, Quiet City
Peccatum, [/i]Lost in Reverie[/i]
Two Lone Swordsmen, From the Double Gone Chapel
Jim White, Drill a Hole in the Substrate and Tell Me What You See
White Willow, Storm Season

...I still feel like I'm forgetting something -- this list is subject to change.

EDIT: Dagnabit, this is hard!

Davey
11-09-2004, 07:54 AM
I already posted an unranked top 10 here recently, but you probably already know most of the stuff I like this year since I tend to slobber over things alot. But in case you missed my latest addiction post.....

Progressive indie rock? This one might take a few listens to really soak in since they do harken back to earlier times with lots of Police influence in the dark but melodic punk sense. And not too far removed from old school mid 90s emo like Sunny Day Real Estate, but not nearly as whiney. Police meet Modest Mouse with the drummer from Appleseed Cast? But there are still hints of that Three Mile Pilot heritage they share with Black Heart Procession (another huge favorite of mine). Still, the first listen might go by without too much really sticking. But a couple more listens and the individual songs all start to blossom and then snake into your brain. Hard to believe that the bulk of this was recorded in a bedroom and a spare room because it sounds so damn good. Very nice mix with lots of great vocal harmonizing and shimmering guitars. Seems like the best thing they've done yet. Beautiful flow and nearly every song has a lot going for it. Totally love the aggressive "AFK" album closer, with the pounding drums and shout along lyrics that convey the album title in the chorus - kind of like Isaac Brock and his Modest Mouseketeers, especially in that megaphone-enhanced backing vocal track...

Release....
Protect. Embrace. Engulf.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.
Protect. Enslave. In love.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.

Getting close to album of the year for me - top 5 for sure. Lots of time spent on infinite repeat around here lately :cool:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=58203&postcount=1

tentoze
11-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Subject to change at any moment:

Willard Grant Conspiracy, Regard The End
Joseph Arthur, Our Shadows Will remain
Jim White, Drill A Hole In The Substrate.....
Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Herafter, Oh, My Girl
Twilight Singers, She Loves You

nobody
11-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Still haven't really decided, but here's five off the top of my head...

The Streets: A Grand Don't Come for Free
Social Distortion: Love, Sex and Rock 'n' Roll
Iron & Wine: Our Endless Numbered Days
Cee Lo Green: Is the Soul Machine
Two Lone Swordsmen: From the Double Gone Chapel

Davey
11-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Joseph Arthur, Our Shadows Will Remain
Yeah, ditto what tentoze says, you would really like this one Mark. Definitely one of the best of the year and quite a grower as well. Probably wind up on lots of best of the year lists in the end. Has a very classic (and classy) sound.

EDIT: I should probably also mention, just as a butt-protecting disclaimer, that this album does have a little bit of cheesy 80s synth working its way into a couple tracks that doesn't thrill me quite as much as the more staright ahead rock songs so take that under advisement if you are thinking of stepping up to the plate. It makes some concessions to a more mainstream sound that left me a little put off at first but repeat listens seemed to quell that initial apprehension. Quell the initial apprehension? Where do these silly phrases come from? Must be something I ate? ;)

DariusNYC
11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Brian Wilson -- Smile
Kanye West -- College Dropout
Franz Ferdinand (s/t)
The Libertines (s/t)
Modest Mouse -- Good News for People Who Love Bad News

. . . not too radical, I know.

Several other albums I purchased this year I like a lot but didn't make this list. Good music year for me, despite my limited listening time.

Davey
11-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Bubblegum with Mark Lanegan and friends

Wow, this album has really been growing on me lately. Great lyrics throughout and fantastic music. Gets by with a little help from his friends including the always loveable Polly Jean Harvey who pops up on two of the most majestic tracks ('Hit the City' and 'Come to Me'), plus Izzy and Duff from GNR on backing vocals ('Strange Religion'). And of course his old QOTSA buddies, Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri, popping out here and there. And Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers leader Greg Dulli puts in some time in the mix as well. It rocks and seethes with lots of bluesy energy throughout. I really liked Field Songs too, and the more unified or consistent sound he's getting nowadays, but it was kind of subdued compared to the old days. I would've liked it more if he'd let loose more like he does on this one. What a voice though. Just gets better all the time. The ravages of whiskey and cigarettes. Mama don't let your babies grow up to sound like this, but one of my favorite singers right now. You can almost see the words come out of his mouth. The Chris Goss production won't let it be mistaken for an audiophile disc, but it does sound right for the music. Kind of a Tom Waits junkyard percussion sound on much of it. Definitely high on my best of the year list right now.

Celtic Bob
11-21-2004, 01:44 AM
For me the ones i've listened to the most are....
Helix - Rockin' In My Outer Space
BLS - Hangover Musiv Vol. VI
BOD - Here Come The Brides
Naked Beggars
Mojo Rib (late 2003 but never heard till 04)
Scorpions - Unbreakable
Tesla - Into the Now

Most of my few purchases this year been albums of old.

J*E*Cole
11-21-2004, 10:01 PM
In no particular order:

Thirteenth Step - A Perfect Circle
Shangri La - Mark Knopfler (Album OTY???)
eMOTIVe - A Perfect Circle
The Electric Joe Satriani
Windham Hill - 25 Years of Guitar

mad rhetorik
11-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Metal is sorely underrepresented here, so I'll contribute (in order of greatest to least):

1. Mastodon: <b>Leviathon</b>
Hands-down best metal album of the year, perhaps even the decade...I s<a>hit you not.
2. Converge: <b>You Fail Me</b>
Similar to <b>Jane Doe</b> except less all-out abrasive (you can actually understand what the hell Jacob Bannon is screeching on some tracks) and they threw in some interesting acoustic guitar and piano bits. Don't worry though, this band is nearly sellout-proof.
3. Meshuggah: <b>-I-</b>
Technically this shouldn't count since it is just one long song, but <i>DAAAAAAAAMN</i> what a song. Basically a fusion of everything they've done. If this were a full-length it would probably score #1, 'cause Meshuggah is Meshuggah and is therefore awesome. ; P
4. Isis: <b>Panopticon</b>
Heard this yesterday... me likey. It's almost like "post-metal." Basically <b>Oceanic</b> taken to its logical conclusion. Very much a grower.
5. Dillinger Escape Plan: <b>Miss Machine</b>
DEP have sold out?!?! Not quite. The mathy-ness and and screaming are still there, but now there's clean singing and some Faith No More-esque stuff too. Aside from the NIN-like "Phone Home" and "Unretrofied" this album is badass and proves that DEP are more than simply technical wizards.