Poly Fill [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Poly Fill

Rob H
11-09-2004, 04:49 AM
I've been playing with the amount of poly fill in my AR.com speakers. Have even tried the supplied foam pads from the Madisound kits instead of the poly fill. Any magic formula or recommendation for optimum performance?

Thanks

poneal
11-09-2004, 10:19 AM
I used Ed's recommendation of 1 to 2 handfuls fluffed up like a cloud and used the port to hang it from and the woofer wires to hold down at the bottom. I used 1 handfull, but have been tinkering with the idea of adding another handfull to see the effects. I didn't use the boxes from Madisound so I haven't used padding. What were your results as far as the stuffing goes?

kexodusc
11-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Now I'm curious....Too much would dampen the midrange and bass, I would think, not enough would probably make it sound a bit boomy and hollow, and cause some internal resonances? I guess maybe the trick is to play around a bit?

Did you guys use heaping handfuls say, the size of football, or small handfulls the size of a baseball?

Maybe it doesn't really matter much as long as the cabinet is filled and you use the same amount in all speakers?

poneal
11-09-2004, 12:38 PM
1 handfull. Just reached in the bag and grabbed a solid handfull, pulled it out, fluffed it up and put it in. I'd say about the size of a softball.