What would you buy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy?

Davey
11-08-2004, 10:31 AM
How about a little Monday morning poll since it looks by the activity around here that the fat lady is getting ready to sing :eek:

I happened to stop by the amazon site this morning and saw their list of top 10 biggest sellers and was just thinking to myself, would I wanna buy any of these? Not really, but I thought it might make a fun poll. One vote per person and your vote will be visible. So, without further adieu....poll will soon follow so give me a minute.

Troy
11-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Ummmmm, you need a "none of the above" box.

That list pretty much sums up my displeasure in popular music today.

A Christmas album? It's not even CLOSE to Thanksgiving!

*sigh*

Guess ya liked "The Incredibles" there Davey?

Stone
11-08-2004, 11:17 AM
I voted for Ray!, but if I were forced to buy one, on any given day might rather just spend the money on this little mini-poster:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006284JQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Davey
11-08-2004, 11:27 AM

*sigh*

Guess ya liked "The Incredibles" there Davey?
Haven't seen it yet but I do like the idea. Thought about having a "none of the above" but woulda had to drop one of them, I think. But yeah, wouldn't spend my money on any of them either.

Worf101
11-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Only cause I already own a lot of Ray's older works. He is/was a genius to tell the truth. As for the rest of that stuff, can't put down what I haven't heard but I'll say this, as for Rod Stewart, I'd rather stick needles in my ears...

Da Worfster :o

tentoze
11-08-2004, 11:47 AM
I said Ray, just because. With the exception of the J. Lennon, which I know nothing about, the rest of that list is from "artists" (used nominally) that I'd pay not to hear.

Davey
11-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Only cause I already own a lot of Ray's older works. He is/was a genius to tell the truth.
Yeah, I hear ya Worf! I have a few Ray Charles LPs but nothing on CD so I figured that was the best choice for me too. That Pink Martini sounds a little intriguing too, but maybe a little bit too wimpy.

Jim Clark
11-08-2004, 01:18 PM
I don't mind U2 at all. I can do without the overblown posturing but when I put on an album I don't have to deal with that kind of nonsense. War, Boy, Joshua Tree are all albums I have enjoyed in the past and I will probably go drag one out right now.

jc

Davey
11-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Hmmm, deepdiscountcd.com has a little more interesting top 10. I could definitely pick a couple from them choices. Already have Arcade Fire and the Shins (what the heck is the old Shins disc doing on the list? That's kinda weird). Wouldn't mind hearing all the bonus tracks on the Pavement reissue either. And I'll probably eventually get ahold of Elliot Smith and Brian Wilson, but not in any hurry for either. Still hard to believe Rod Stewart crooning old standards in that worn out voice is so popular.

1. John Mellencamp / Words & Music: John... [cd & Dvd] $ 13.97
2. Rod Stewart / STARDUST...THE Great American Songbook Volume III $ 12.98
3. Arcade Fire / Funeral $ 11.77
4. The Shins / Oh, Inverted World [ecd] $ 11.77
5. Original Soundtrack / Garden State $ 10.49
6. Original Soundtrack / Ray $ 11.98
7. Brian Wilson (Pop) / Smile $ 14.77
8. Elliott Smith / From A Basement On The Hill [Digipak] $ 13.29
9. U2 / How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb [11/23] $ 11.47
10. Pavement / Crooked Rain, Crooked... [Digipak]

ForeverAutumn
11-08-2004, 03:10 PM

*sigh*

Thanksgiving was weeks ago!!! Oh, you mean American Thanksgiving. You Yanks are so far behind. :p

I'd have to go with the John Lennon disk I think. Not because I'm a huge Lennon fan, but because I really like acoustic CDs.

Needles in my ears would seem pleasurable over that Clay Aiken Xmas disk.

Dusty Chalk
11-08-2004, 09:02 PM
I voted for Ray!, but if I were forced to buy one, on any given day might rather just spend the money on this little mini-poster:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006284JQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpgShe looks like one of those blow-up sex dolls...oh, wait a minute, never mind...

Jim Clark
11-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Hey Les, thanks for not hanging me out to dry on that U2 pick! I was getting lonely.

jc