Another Crossover Q [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another Crossover Q

Dale M
11-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Hi.
I have an H/K AVR-225 and I was wondering How do you know what the crossover setting is? This receiver has it preset and doesnt allow me to adjust it,, I can adjust the sub and would like to match them if that makes sense?
Thanks
Dale M

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi.
I have an H/K AVR-225 and I was wondering How do you know what the crossover setting is? This receiver has it preset and doesnt allow me to adjust it,, I can adjust the sub and would like to match them if that makes sense?
Thanks
Dale M

Dale,
If you use the crossover in your receiver, set the crossover in the sub as high as it can go(120hz is typical). Most receiver have a fixed crossover at 80hz or 100hz. 80hz is generally perfect for most installations. You don't want the crossover in your receiver and your sub working simultaneously, and this creates a cascading effect that will actually produce a notch at the crossover frequency. One crossover setting is enough.

nightflier
11-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Dale,

The AVR-225 does not have an adjustable crossover setting and this receiver has it preset for 100Hz. The only real solution is to buy a new receiver, but if you like tweaking with your system (like I do), you also have two other partial options you could try:

1. You could filter low frequencies for just your front speakers by routing them through your subwoofer's amp (using the sub's speaker terminals), and adjusting the crossover on the sub. This will only affect your front L/R channels, but it's better than no filtering at all. The Polk website has a good description on how to do this and why you would want to:

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=bassmanage

2. You might also want to consider Outlaw Audio's ICBM-1, a slim audiophile component that allows you to configure the crossover manually:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/icbm.html

It is only $250 and is one of the most well-received products out there, according to the reviews. I installed one of these at a friend's house and it has made a world of difference. I've considered buying it for my 2-channel system because of the price, eventhough it is really geared towards a full surround system.

P.S. The ICBM is meant to be installed between two 5.1 channel input/outputs, ideally between an amp & preamp or between receiver set up as a preamp and an external amp it is coupled with. If you don't have an amp, you can also install it between your DVD player and your receiver, providing you are using the 5.1 sound connections. In the latter example, you will only be able to redirect bass freqencies coming from your DVD player.