Problem w/Harman Kardon Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/Harman Kardon Receiver

mcs
11-07-2004, 03:49 PM
I have an older Harman Kardon AVR 20 used in a second system. Recently, it's developed a problem where is shuts off anywhere from 1 minute to 20 minutes after being turned on. Any ideas of what could be causing this? Not sure if it's worth bringing it in to have it looked at.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

kelsci
11-08-2004, 07:47 AM
MCS; I would recheck the speaker wire connections to your receiver and your speakers. If they check out OK, the odds are a problem in the power supply section of the receiver which could be a faulty circuit breaker or some other component in the power supply that is faulty triggering the receiver's circuit breaker to shut the receiver down.

mcs
11-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. It's definitely a problem with the power supply or something within the circuit. I'm just not sure what it may be and if it's a problem common to older H/K's or just an isolated incident. Regardless of what it may be, I'm starting to believe that it's not going to be worth fixing.

Mike

poneal
11-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Get some iso-bath contact cleaner and spray it down real good including pots, and main board, stay away from the power supply. Recommend taking it outside to do this with cover off. Also you may want to get some compressed air in a can to get rid of big dust balls, etc inside before iso-bathing it. Just give it a good cleaning and if that doesn't work then it's up to you to have it looked at by a repair technician.