Refurb Onkyo760 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Refurb Onkyo760

putri
12-13-2003, 09:50 AM
I just submitted an order at http://www.shoponkyo.com for an HTIB system, the 760 model. The price was the best, for $449, I got free shipping and a DVD player. I have done alot of research on the item and read what's in the website, but I missed the very bottom of the refurb page: *factory reconditioned products do not include batteries,cables or labels.

Has anybody bought a refurb directly from Onkyo? Did you get the cables? I don't care for the batteries or whatever labels - I don't even know what labels they're talking about, but I care about the cables. Does this mean I have to buy some cables now so that when I get this package I'll be able to hook it up right away? I live 30 minutes from the city, there's only RadioShack where I can get some decent cables that's minutes away. I'd like to be prepared or get the purchase done in advance for cables if they're not going to be in the box. I don't even know what kind of cables to get but Circuit City or other stores can help me. I read that the cables that comes with the package aren't the greatest, the 20 gauge ones, and I should get 12s or 14s. So I'll have to buy cables anyways eventually.

I'm a typical girl, not to familiar with cables... are 12/14 gauge cables the same size as a monster cable or are monster cables a whole different ball game? I can hook electronics up really well, just not too familiar with cable types... I get suckered in by the sales people, whatever they think are the best cables for me I'd buy. Either way, I'd like to know if I'll get any sort of cables in the box. Also, do Onkyo pack up their refurb items pretty well? I've bought refurbs before and they all look like new and worked or is still working great.

F1
12-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Putri (It's my daughter's name too),

What you need to hook up your system are:
- Digital cable (either coaxial or optical) to connect your DVD to the receiver to output Dolby Digital / DTS properly. Dedicated coax or optical cable is definitely not supplied so you need to get either one. You don't need to get exotic cable for this connection. Any cheap optical or coax RCA cable from Radio Shack will do just fine. You need to check what type of connection is available on your DVD player.
- Speaker cable to connect your front (L&R), center, and surround speakers from your receiver. Some cable may be supplied but I doubt that it's long enough for surround speakers. Again, you don't need to buy expensive cable. No brand 14 gauge wire is all you need.
- RCA cable to connect subwoofer to the receiver. Any RCA cable will do fine.
- Video cable to connect DVD to your TV. Check your TV whether it accepts component cable (coded red, green and blue RCA jacks), or S-Video (round, many holes for connection), or just composite input (coded yellow RCA). Basically component will give the highest picture quality (any RCA cable is fine), followed by S-Video connection (S-Video cable is needed). The last option is composite connection (any single RCA cable is fine). You don't need to buy all three type of connections. You only need one.

I think the best thing is wait until you receive all the components and you know what type of cable is not supplied and how many ft/meters you need esp for surround and subwoofer. Last thing, once you have everything hooked up, check your DVD player setup to make sure it outputs DD/DTS as DD/DTS or bitstream (not as PCM). Otherwise you only get stereo sound, not 6.1 channel. If you have problem later on, just post again, I'm sure there are many who can help.
Good luck!

piece-it pete
12-15-2003, 08:09 AM
I just submitted an order at http://www.shoponkyo.com for an HTIB system, the 760 model. The price was the best, for $449, I got free shipping and a DVD player. I have done alot of research on the item and read what's in the website, but I missed the very bottom of the refurb page: *factory reconditioned products do not include batteries,cables or labels.

Has anybody bought a refurb directly from Onkyo? Did you get the cables? I don't care for the batteries or whatever labels - I don't even know what labels they're talking about, but I care about the cables. Does this mean I have to buy some cables now so that when I get this package I'll be able to hook it up right away? I live 30 minutes from the city, there's only RadioShack where I can get some decent cables that's minutes away. I'd like to be prepared or get the purchase done in advance for cables if they're not going to be in the box. I don't even know what kind of cables to get but Circuit City or other stores can help me. I read that the cables that comes with the package aren't the greatest, the 20 gauge ones, and I should get 12s or 14s. So I'll have to buy cables anyways eventually.

I'm a typical girl, not to familiar with cables... are 12/14 gauge cables the same size as a monster cable or are monster cables a whole different ball game? I can hook electronics up really well, just not too familiar with cable types... I get suckered in by the sales people, whatever they think are the best cables for me I'd buy. Either way, I'd like to know if I'll get any sort of cables in the box. Also, do Onkyo pack up their refurb items pretty well? I've bought refurbs before and they all look like new and worked or is still working great.

Putri,

My coworker bought the same thing on my rec. a couple of months ago & in spite of the disclaimer all cables & accessories were included!

To call them marginal would be an understatement - but they'll work. F1s' got it covered.

They came packaged very well, but one speaker cabinet was damaged anyway. Onkyo replaced it within a week no hassles no charge. So he ended up with a couple extra drivers!

Good luck - have fun!!

Pete