Speaker to Line-Level Converter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker to Line-Level Converter

DMC
11-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Any suggestions for a quality speaker to line-level converter?

I ended up getting sub with only a line-level input, but my amplifier has only a fixed line-level output. Therefore, when I change the volume on the amp, the volume on the sub stays contant, so I have to separately adjust its volume control.

Norm Strong
11-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Any suggestions for a quality speaker to line-level converter?

I ended up getting sub with only a line-level input, but my amplifier has only a fixed line-level output. Therefore, when I change the volume on the amp, the volume on the sub stays contant, so I have to separately adjust its volume control.

Most subwoofers have speaker level inputs in addition to the line level one. Are you sure your's isn't like that? If you're sure there's no speaker level input, get rid of the sub and buy one that DOES.

DMC
11-06-2004, 10:44 AM
I am positive it does not have speaker-level inputs. I think it's a great little sub (Totem Dreamcatcher sub), so I'm not going to return it just like that.

For powered subs that do except speaker-level inputs, I'm assuming from an amplifier design perspective that they have internal speaker to line-level converters. I'm simply looking for a good EXternal one.

Searching on the web, I found one the other day for around $60 made by a company called Audioplex. However, I know nothing about the quality of their products.

M-D
11-08-2004, 09:36 AM
The Sonance OP-2 or OP-3 work well.

Kursun
11-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Searching on the web, I found one the other day for around $60 made by a company called Audioplex. However, I know nothing about the quality of their products.A speaker level to line-level converter consists of a pair of half watt resistors, one series and the other parallel. It is essentially a voltage divider network. Half watt resistors don't cost money. You are paying for the box of the converter, speaker terminals and RCA jacks, plus shipping.

So since the product you have found costs $60, you can be sure it's a quality product!:)

vr6ofpain
11-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Is this the one you guys are talking about:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=302-307

http://www.partsexpress.com/images/302-307m.jpg

I'm surprised it costs so much, I mean, this is parts express....

DMC
11-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the responses. Through some more searching I found a schematic for a simple voltage divider. Maybe I should do myself the favor and just buy some resistors and get out the wire, cutting tools, and soldering iron.