Can I use the same 5pcs speaker in the AV system? Is this perfect? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I use the same 5pcs speaker in the AV system? Is this perfect?

leo99
12-13-2003, 04:50 AM
I am SONY TA-E9000ES & TA-N9000ES user. Recently, I want to upgrade my speaker fot my system. I want to buy 5pcs same speaker (B&W N803) for my AV system. As I know, the tonal balance can be much better "Same Brand But Difference Model".

However, anyone can give me some advise? If I buy 5pcs same speaker (B&W N803) for my AV system, any disadvantage will occur?

I know the TA-N9000ES Power AMP may be not enough power to push the 5pcs N803. I will purchase extra power amp or 5pcs MONO block for the speaker.

I just want to know If I buy 5pcs same speaker is better than "Same Brand But Difference Model" or not.

Can anyone give me some advise?

Thank you.

poneal
12-13-2003, 06:44 AM
Yes, you can buy all five speakers of the same model and the timbre mathcing will all be the same. The problem for some is that they prefer to sit the center speaker on top of the T.V. Since the 803 is a floorstander it will be difficult to do this. If this is a concern, buy 4 of the 803s and then find a center channel such as the B&W Nautilus HTM1. If this is not a concern then get 5 of the 803s.

leo99
12-13-2003, 07:01 AM
The problem for some is that they prefer to sit the center speaker on top of the T.V. Since the 803 is a floorstander it will be difficult to do this. If this is a concern, buy 4 of the 803s and then find a center channel such as the B&W Nautilus HTM1. If this is not a concern then get 5 of the 803s.

Can I know when the B&W N803 is horizontal on the TV, the sound quanlity will be affected?

If compare to the B&W Nautilus HTM1, which sound will be better and match the system?

Thanks.

TinHere
12-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Can I know when the B&W N803 is horizontal on the TV, the sound quanlity will be affected?

If compare to the B&W Nautilus HTM1, which sound will be better and match the system?

Thanks.

The speaker is designed to radiate vertically because of the driver alignment. Putting the speaker hortizontal will probably wreck havoc with the sound stage. One end of the speaker will be pumping highs and the other end will be pumping lows which will make intergration with the mains very difficult. I would go with a dedicated center speaker positioned as the manuacturer intended.

leo99
12-13-2003, 11:38 AM
The speaker is designed to radiate vertically because of the driver alignment. Putting the speaker hortizontal will probably wreck havoc with the sound stage. One end of the speaker will be pumping highs and the other end will be pumping lows which will make intergration with the mains very difficult. I would go with a dedicated center speaker positioned as the manuacturer intended.

THANKS.

F1
12-14-2003, 12:17 AM
I think N803 is overkill for surround speaker. Probably it's more $ensible to get N803 for fronts and N805 for surround and use the money to upgrade other components or just buy more DVD/CD, or have you got a subwoofer. Tinhere is right about the center, and you should just buy HTM1 or HTM2.
Good luck.

Geoffcin
12-14-2003, 10:00 AM
I think N803 is overkill for surround speaker. Probably it's more $ensible to get N803 for fronts and N805 for surround and use the money to upgrade other components or just buy more DVD/CD, or have you got a subwoofer. Tinhere is right about the center, and you should just buy HTM1 or HTM2.
Good luck.

I agree, it's going to be much more cost efficient to go with standmounts for the surrounds, and a specifically designed center.

That being said, I think Skywalker Ranch uses all B&W 801's in thier sound room. Must be nice!