Help Me Please....Frustrated With My HT Setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Please....Frustrated With My HT Setup

Independent George
11-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Well Here it goes hope someone can help me...just moved recently and bough some new equipment and now i'm having problems...

First my HT System:
Onkyo TX-DS575X (REC)
Samsung DVD-HD841 (DVD)
Hitachi 60V500A (TV)
JBL S-Series Speakers S38(Front) / S36(REARs) / S-Center / PB12 (Sub)

Well now my question:
I'm having problems getting my Sub to Respond while playing DVD's - Its like the signal is very week and the sub is very quiet when Dolby Digital signal is sent (Coaxial)...it works but only very quiet and infrequently..even in heavy bass scenes.. :confused:

The sub sound Good when I use my old CD Player sending it 2 ch stereo converted to 5 channle stereo...so i dont think the sub is the problem...so no problems when listening to music.. :D

I also have the same problem with Dolby Digital signal when sent (optical) from HD Cable reciever....just very weak again... :mad:

Well first off I checked my Reciever...all the speakers are set to the On Position
I even cranked up my relative dB level on sub to +12 and no luck with that helping.. :confused:

On My DVD - Ausio Setup i set the Bitstream On.....Dynamic Compression Off & Downsampling Off (Because receiver 96Khz)... Alos set my Speaker setting to all On & Large (I dont think this does anything in bitstream??)...

I did recently go from a 6' RCA Cord To 20' RCA because of the larger TV & Entertainment Center...not sure if the cord has anythingto do with it since the when playing CD in 5chstereo conversion the sub works nice.... :confused:

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated because i'm gonna cry if the sub doesnt work well when i finally got my 60 TV to wathc movies....Alos I have a few good benchmark movies to test the system - Matrix / Saving Private Ryan / Toy Story 2 - Guess I'm falling behind on movie purchaces :D

Please Help...i'll be checking post tommorrow morning ...

Thank you in advance :p :D :p

hershon
11-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Off the top of my head it sounds like you've got a sucky subwoofer cable that's not properly plugged into your sub and receiver. What I'd recommend is get a monster THX subwoofer cable, keep the receipt & it that's not the problem, return the Monster cable.

Well Here it goes hope someone can help me...just moved recently and bough some new equipment and now i'm having problems...

First my HT System:
Onkyo TX-DS575X (REC)
Samsung DVD-HD841 (DVD)
Hitachi 60V500A (TV)
JBL S-Series Speakers S38(Front) / S36(REARs) / S-Center / PB12 (Sub)

Well now my question:
I'm having problems getting my Sub to Respond while playing DVD's - Its like the signal is very week and the sub is very quiet when Dolby Digital signal is sent (Coaxial)...it works but only very quiet and infrequently..even in heavy bass scenes.. :confused:

The sub sound Good when I use my old CD Player sending it 2 ch stereo converted to 5 channle stereo...so i dont think the sub is the problem...so no problems when listening to music.. :D

I also have the same problem with Dolby Digital signal when sent (optical) from HD Cable reciever....just very weak again... :mad:

Well first off I checked my Reciever...all the speakers are set to the On Position
I even cranked up my relative dB level on sub to +12 and no luck with that helping.. :confused:

On My DVD - Ausio Setup i set the Bitstream On.....Dynamic Compression Off & Downsampling Off (Because receiver 96Khz)... Alos set my Speaker setting to all On & Large (I dont think this does anything in bitstream??)...

I did recently go from a 6' RCA Cord To 20' RCA because of the larger TV & Entertainment Center...not sure if the cord has anythingto do with it since the when playing CD in 5chstereo conversion the sub works nice.... :confused:

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated because i'm gonna cry if the sub doesnt work well when i finally got my 60 TV to wathc movies....Alos I have a few good benchmark movies to test the system - Matrix / Saving Private Ryan / Toy Story 2 - Guess I'm falling behind on movie purchaces :D

Please Help...i'll be checking post tommorrow morning ...

Thank you in advance :p :D :p

Independent George
11-06-2004, 05:32 AM
Dont think it the subwoofer cable becuase when i play music through my DVD player (in pro-logic or 5channel stereo) or through my CD player (5 Channel) things sound great..

This thinking my be wrong...if for some reason the signal is tremedously stronger when playing music in this way ..... compared to the 5.1 dolby digital format.....

maybe someone could tell me if this is true??? if not any other suggestions would be appreciated....

Later today i'm gonna move my sub closer to my reciever and see if my old 6' long subwoofer cable has any better results...i'll post again when i accomplish this...first i gotta shower and seal th driveway though... :(

Thank you...

cashlz
11-06-2004, 06:35 AM
I would try setting your speakers to small in the receiver set-up menu see if that helps.

N. Abstentia
11-06-2004, 06:40 AM
I definitley wouldn't waste time with a Monster THX cable. If it IS the cable that is the problem (which it's not) then go to WalMart and get one. It's the same cable for 1/64th the price.

But the first thing I would try is to set your fronts and surrounds to small instead of large. By setting them to large you could very well be turning your subwoofer off, since you're telling your receiver that you already have subwoofers in the front and surround channels by choosing 'large'.