Ready to connect my HT system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ready to connect my HT system

Bala
11-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Just collected all the componenets of my HT and am ready to hook it up. Hadn't given too much thought to the cables until now. I have the Axiom M60ti package with vp150 center, Yamaha, RXV1400 receiver, Go-video Networked dvd player, a regular VCR, a Dish satellite Tuner, and a Sanyo PLVZ2 projector. I have already run the speaker cables from where the HT main panel to all wall outlets. My questions are about the cables for the different componenets.

1. Can I use the same 14guage speaker wires used behind the walls for speaker runs) to connect from the receiver to the main panel (input) as well as from the wall outlet to the speakers. I have 5.1 setup. I see on the connections panel of the Yam a ziliion connectors. Do I have the choice of using regular speaker wires or component or should I really read the manual 100 times before I start connecting? I like to read the manual only where and when needed. Information overload is bad for me.

2. What kind of cable is good for the sub woofer? I plan to keep it right next to the cabinet.

3. I'm thinking of using component cables from the vcr -> a/v receiver, dvd player -> a/v receiver, Satellite recv -> a/v receiver. I'm planning to use medium quality cables (brand suggestions appreciated).

4. From the a/v receiver to the wall outlet for the projector I plan to use component cables. Are there different quality for video component vs audio component cables (Is there such a thing?)? I already ran 3 RG6 cables from the HT main panel to where the projector is in the celing. I plan to use component for the projector to the ceiling outlet.

Please throw your opinion and advice. If you want to call me stupid we can start a separate thread.

Also many thanks to the users here who gave good advice when I was planning and setting up the HT connections behind the walls.

Thanks,

hershon
11-05-2004, 03:12 PM
1. I'd recommend you get monster THX subwoofer cable which is cheaper & better than monster Ultra THX subwoofer cable. If you can wait a week or 2 you can get one new and with fast delivery on Ebay for about half of what you'd pay in stores.

2.As I have cable TV service and have HD TV, I really can't tell you what to use in your system other than I use 16 gauge monster speaker wire- again you can get this cheap on Ebay.

3. The easiest thing to do is spend $60-$75 at your local high end stereo place and pay someone to set up your system. Most of these stores offer this service but you have to ask.

Good luck

Just collected all the componenets of my HT and am ready to hook it up. Hadn't given too much thought to the cables until now. I have the Axiom M60ti package with vp150 center, Yamaha, RXV1400 receiver, Go-video Networked dvd player, a regular VCR, a Dish satellite Tuner, and a Sanyo PLVZ2 projector. I have already run the speaker cables from where the HT main panel to all wall outlets. My questions are about the cables for the different componenets.

1. Can I use the same 14guage speaker wires used behind the walls for speaker runs) to connect from the receiver to the main panel (input) as well as from the wall outlet to the speakers. I have 5.1 setup. I see on the connections panel of the Yam a ziliion connectors. Do I have the choice of using regular speaker wires or component or should I really read the manual 100 times before I start connecting? I like to read the manual only where and when needed. Information overload is bad for me.

2. What kind of cable is good for the sub woofer? I plan to keep it right next to the cabinet.

3. I'm thinking of using component cables from the vcr -> a/v receiver, dvd player -> a/v receiver, Satellite recv -> a/v receiver. I'm planning to use medium quality cables (brand suggestions appreciated).

4. From the a/v receiver to the wall outlet for the projector I plan to use component cables. Are there different quality for video component vs audio component cables (Is there such a thing?)? I already ran 3 RG6 cables from the HT main panel to where the projector is in the celing. I plan to use component for the projector to the ceiling outlet.

Please throw your opinion and advice. If you want to call me stupid we can start a separate thread.

Also many thanks to the users here who gave good advice when I was planning and setting up the HT connections behind the walls.

Thanks,