Chopping Grado SR60's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Chopping Grado SR60's

toonces
12-12-2003, 10:50 PM
I have a pair of Graddo SR60's. I'm generally pleased with the sound compared to the cruddy cheapo headphones I've used in the past. One thing, tho: When I move the headphones slightly off my ears -- where they're still on the ears, but not pressed on fully -- they seem to sound brighter and clearer. Same if I, oddly enough, yawn or open my mouth (same effect, I assume). I read somewhere in the past that there were people cutting small holes (dime-size) into the foam earpieces to obtain a better sound. Anyone tried this? Thanks.

jrhymeammo
12-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Welcome to AudioReview.com

I hope to see you around here in a near future.

JRA

JoeE SP9
12-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Welcome aboard.
What you are experiencing is normal with all on ear headphones. The closer and tighter any headphone couples to the ear the more bass you get. I have heard that re-shaping the metal headband of Grado's (especially SR-60's) can be very effective for sound and comfort. Check headfi's www.headfi.org (http://www.headfi.org) web site for more information on this. :idea:

jrhymeammo
12-08-2006, 04:25 PM
hey joe, he hasnt posted in 3 years. I was just messing around by replying to this post last night

Woochifer
12-08-2006, 05:09 PM
The Grado SR60, 80, and 120 were originally designed with hollow earpads. But, after customers complained about how uncomfortable they felt during long listenings, Grado went to a more heavily padded foam design without the hole in the middle a few years ago. Listeners generally agree that the new earpad altered the sound, but it's a worthy tradeoff considering how uncomfortable the old earpads were.

I know that Grado originally went with the thicker earpad on the SR60 and SR80, while leaving the old hollow earpad with the SR120. I'm not sure if the SR120 switched to the thicker earpad, and I'm not sure if the old hollow ones can be ordered. I know that Grado made the thicker earpads available by mail order to anyone that wanted to replace the older earpads on their headphones. Not sure if replacements for the older hollow earpads are available.

hifitommy
12-09-2006, 09:54 PM
fit perfectly and are exceedingly comfy plus the sound is just fine. got mine directly from senn in burbank in person for $4 per set. theyre so purty in yellow!

JoeE SP9
12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
hey joe, he hasnt posted in 3 years. I was just messing around by replying to this post last night

For stuff like that you should send me that LP.:ciappa:
I never looked at the date on the original post.:blush2:

Fritz
02-05-2007, 07:56 AM
pwned?

3 years ago lol!