King Crimson: Starless And Bible Black// a review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : King Crimson: Starless And Bible Black// a review

3-LockBox
11-05-2004, 10:25 AM
I picked up the other two KC3 albums about 7 or 8 months ago (Red and Larks). This one is prolly my least favorite of the three, but wow, was this a great line-up or what. I think I've listened to these albums a dozen times or so since I got them. SBB doe seem to meander and doesn't have the direction that the other albums had, but songs like 'Great Deceiver' and 'Lament' are must haves for anyone who likes this Krim line-up. The song 'Night Watch' is a good song, kinda mellencollie. 'Trio' is a wierd little instrumental, with three instruments (yeah I know), two of which I can make out (bass and violin) but the third is the wierd one. Anyone know what this instrument is? (presumably played by Fripp)

I think that this is my favorite Krim line-up and its a shame they didn't make more than three albums. Great stuff.

Thanks once again to all those who carried the torch for this band.

Dusty Chalk
11-05-2004, 06:42 PM
I can't believe you didn't mention "Fracture"...? Easily the standout track on here.

progfan
11-05-2004, 06:56 PM
I agree that Starless is the least of the 3 Wetton era Crim albums. Good stuff, but kind of fragmented. If you haven't yet had a chance to hear The Great Deceiver Live Box Set-which I think is being reissued shortly, do yourself a favor and dig in. Especially if you like improvs, you'll love this set. Imo, Crimson's live performances were much more impressive than their studio albums.

3-LockBox
11-06-2004, 11:17 AM
I wasn't that impressed by them, not because they were too long, but because they seemed to meander. yeah yeah, I know, Fracture was well...fractured, but it just didn't take off for me they way other Krim instrumentals do in this series. And the song 'Starless' from the album <i>Red</i> is much better than its counterpart on SABB, at least to these ears.

MasterCylinder
11-09-2004, 09:49 AM
3Lock:

RED is (to me) easily the best of the 3 Wetton-Krim era, although LARKS has some brilliant moments too.

STARLESS (final track) is a trophy piece.