I am way too retentive [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I am way too retentive

tpcounty
11-05-2004, 05:52 AM
Ok, I have a TV in a basement that is used occasionally. Well one night, when I thought I had turned it off, actually the input selector had just been switched to video 1 and since the vcr attached to video 1 was off, the screen was blank and looked like the TV was off. The TV remained in this state for about 48 before it was discovered that the TV had really been ON all along. How much wear and tear did the TV suffer from being on continuously with a blank screen for at least 48 hours? Any problems or nothing to worry about?
I can't help but feel way too retentive about electronics. Anyone else like that?

C Bennett
11-05-2004, 06:46 AM
I don't know the answer but this has happened to my tv numerous times and its still ok. I actually think I have some kind of defect. Sometimes when I hit the power button the Tv switches off and screen goes blank but when I get close or if its quiet enough I can still hear that the tv is on.....its a hard sound to describe and I dont even know what its called. Its like a hiss or vhf sizzle(turn your tv all the way down and when you turn it on even without the volume up or looking at it you hear that sound that you just know its on). Sometimes I get back from work and hear that noise hit the power button and it comes on hit it quick again and the "sound" goes away. I need a new TV but so far its fine even after that happening several times/

JSE
11-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Ok, I have a TV in a basement that is used occasionally. Well one night, when I thought I had turned it off, actually the input selector had just been switched to video 1 and since the vcr attached to video 1 was off, the screen was blank and looked like the TV was off. The TV remained in this state for about 48 before it was discovered that the TV had really been ON all along. How much wear and tear did the TV suffer from being on continuously with a blank screen for at least 48 hours? Any problems or nothing to worry about?
I can't help but feel way too retentive about electronics. Anyone else like that?

I am no expert but I bet there is no negative effect from this except maybe you took 48 hrs off the life expectancy of the TV. In places like Walmart that stay open 24 hours a day, I bet some fo those TVs stay on for weeks at a time if not longer. As far as being on with only a black/blank screen, I doubt this has any negative effect either. Although, I could be wrong.

Maybe Woodman will chime in. He's our local TV Guru.

JSE

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Don't worry JSE, there is no damage or harm done. My television is constantly left on. I have been leaving it on for 6 months now. No harm done to it at all. I asked Woodman this same question a ways back, and he confirmed that no damage would be done as long as the screen is dark. Don't worry about this, enjoy your victory my friend.