Mini system recommendations? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mini system recommendations?

deanbrew
11-04-2004, 08:35 AM
I want to by each of my sons a mini system stereo for their bedrooms. I stopped at Circuit City last night and it seems to me that the systems stress styling and buttons and EQ presets over sound quality and ergonomics. I was able to listen to several, but the general noise level at CC precludes really listening.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mini-system that plays CDs, cassettes, has a radio tuner and sounds decent? I know this question is not typical for a high-end audio forum, but I was hoping someone might have been in a similar situation.

Jimmy C
11-04-2004, 05:30 PM
...but the Denon/Mission mini sounded best to me. They might still be available, worth a look.

The speakers were made of real wood, had real binding posts and most importantly - (drum roll, please...) sounded a bit more "true". If you can demo, I believe you'll understand what I mean. Check out your local mass-market store...

Oh - the speakers a detachable, this flexibility can result in a reasonable soundstage.

Just an idea, if available...

vr6ofpain
11-04-2004, 06:16 PM
I would look for a decent integrated and cd player, then some decent shelves(i.e. the EPOS, or Acend Acoustics).

Money better spent, plus maybe they will appreciate the audiophile life!

Garrardman
11-05-2004, 02:02 AM
As Jimmy C says, the Denon/Mission ones are quite worthy but i'd also check out the Yamaha pianocraft systems - they're pretty good too!

Adam.

JamezHill
11-21-2004, 03:52 AM
Yes, I'm with Garradman on this one, the Yamaha Pianocraft system (forgot which one my friend has) sounds extrememly good for such a small system.