Ozric Tentacles? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ozric Tentacles?

kingcrim05
11-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Anyone a fan? My brother just sent me 9 of their albums and after listening through 2, i have to say i'm rather impressed.

What are their best albums in your opinion?

Jusrassic Shift and Become the Other are the 2 i've listened to. Hope to have all 9 listened to by the end of the weekend.

BarryL
11-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Anyone a fan? My brother just sent me 9 of their albums and after listening through 2, i have to say i'm rather impressed.

What are their best albums in your opinion?

Jusrassic Shift and Become the Other are the 2 i've listened to. Hope to have all 9 listened to by the end of the weekend.

All I can say is that they never stayed in my player too long, although I did like their energy and improvised style. I haven't listened to them in a long time, so maybe it's time to pull some out. But I did find that after a while, it all sounded pretty much the same. In other words, it didn't really matter which album you put on, it was all interchangeable.

Troy
11-04-2004, 09:14 AM
What Barry said.

They are great for comps and mixes, a song here and there. I have a hard time listening to an entire album though. It gets kinda samey samey. It's trippy and repetitive pothead music, so maybe I'm just not smoking enough pot anymore, I dunno.

I have 4 of their discs. Lots of people seem to like "Earpland" and "Arboressence" the most. I like "Strangitude" the most. But lots of people also seem to feel that all the albums are virtually interchangable.

Dusty Chalk
11-04-2004, 10:47 AM
I dig 'em, but I have to say -- 9 at once? They're all going to blur together for you. Try listening to only one a month or something (after listening to them all once, just to make sure they came out okay).

kingcrim05
11-04-2004, 11:28 AM
well, what will happen is that i'll find 2-3 that i like and i'll start spinning them constantly until i know them by heart. I've always done this with every cd i can get into.

I remember when i got ahold of Lightbulb Sun for the first time. I would spin it 6-10 times a day for several days before i even considered another album. I'm rather obsessive when it comes to music i guess.

It's funny, my pot intake has drastically decreased and i find myself listening to even stranger music. Go figure.

Troy
11-04-2004, 11:37 AM
It's funny, my pot intake has drastically decreased and i find myself listening to even stranger music. Go figure.

It's not so much the strangeness that made me say that, it's the jammy, repetitive nature. Plus the fact that every album has some reggae tinged numbers on it.

Party on, Wayne!

Dave_G
11-04-2004, 12:00 PM
To me some of their stuff sounds okay but after a while it gets old, kind of like a deadhead jam instrumental band kind of stuff, not really for me.

But live they might be interesting.

Dave