Polk/Athena or another? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk/Athena or another?

SpoonerMan
11-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Right now i have energy take 5 system with 20" sub and some old bose bookshelf speakers all plugged into a home theater system. i use the bose for mid-range when listening to music.

just moved into new apt. and want one set of floorstanding speakers to replace the "four across" left/right energy speakers and bose. it looks too much like a frat house. i want speakers that produce the best sound (usually played at moderate to low volume levels) from a smallish floorstander.

i've listented to polk rti8, polk monitor 60, 70 and athena as-f2. I know it is a personal choice but am i overlooking a speaker that balances small/thin size and good sound?

thanks in advance...

hifimaster
11-03-2004, 11:09 AM
20 inch sub? WOW! (we usually refer to the driver size, not the cabinet dimension)

There are tons of floorstanders out there. What is your budget? Have you gone to hifi shops to listen? (NOT Best Buy, Circuit City, etc?). Go out and listen some more.

James

SpoonerMan
11-03-2004, 11:49 AM
looks like i don't know what i'm talking about re: the sub...lol. won't be the last time.

have been to J & R in nyc to listen. they have a decent but not a big selection for what i'm looking for.

my budget is $700-$800 USD for a pair.

RGA
11-03-2004, 01:02 PM
If you're looking for the best sound for music of the two channel variety then skip the Floorstanders. I'll suggest three that are in or under your price range as the speakers I would consider buying myself under $1kUS. These are all standmounts and will require an additional say $160.00 for Stands. The Audio Note AX Two ($550.00US), The Dynaudio Audience 42($700.00US) and the B&W 602S3($600.00US). The Dynaudio is the smallest the B&W is the largest and iMO the AX Two sounds the best but is the hardest to find and isn't as good looking. I reviewed several on these threads http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6696
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6698
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6694

Floorstander will provide, generally, deeper bass response and can play louder and often more dynamically. However in typical apartments these three standmounts provide a good deal of welly - they each have strengths and weaknesses. I personally prefer the balances of the AX Two because i like the option of being able to buy a low powered tube amp.

Jimmy C
11-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Right now i have energy take 5 system with 20" sub and some old bose bookshelf speakers all plugged into a home theater system. i use the bose for mid-range when listening to music.

just moved into new apt. and want one set of floorstanding speakers to replace the "four across" left/right energy speakers and bose. it looks too much like a frat house. i want speakers that produce the best sound (usually played at moderate to low volume levels) from a smallish floorstander.

i've listented to polk rti8, polk monitor 60, 70 and athena as-f2. I know it is a personal choice but am i overlooking a speaker that balances small/thin size and good sound?

thanks in advance...

...are very nice - great bass, pretty smooth top. I'm not even sure of the pricing, but the lower models are right around your range. You'll need stands, also.

Another idea would be the Totem Arros. They are a super-slim floorstander (tiny, actually) that can throw a huge soundstage (important to many) with a high-quality HF presentation. A bit on the bright side, but, again, quality. They are maybe 2.5' tall, and about 5" square. A bit above the intended target price, but there is used, demo, etc.

Paradigm's Studio 20s wouldn't be bad... sort of a combo of the other two. More bass than the Arros, not as much as the Danes, but tight, quick and clean. Again, stands needed.

Actually, I would look into whatever audio stores are in your area, listen to whatever you can! Bring yer own music, also. Some dealers like to "showcase" their stuff with suitable recordings.

It's a lotta fun, and maybe the start to a new addiction? :*)